• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs South Africa -2022/3

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was more that the big belt of rain should be gone by that point.

Problem is you need at least another two hours to clear things up, and any further interruptions will only hurt.
Slow moving troughs are well, slow, and interact with the coast in annoying ways. Plenty of little showers east of the main band too. These systems have a habit of sticking around as they are westward moving embedded in the larger-scale general eastwards progression.

Also, you're forgetting it's Sydney. The ground staff will hang around doing three-fifths of stuff all for forty minutes after the rain stops, and the minimalist covering means the runups will be plenty wet.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The big win here is all three episodes of TOTAB doco back to back. Worth losing a days play for that alone

morgieb

Slow moving troughs are well, slow, and interact with the coast in annoying ways. Plenty of little showers east of the main band too. These systems have a habit of sticking around as they are westward moving embedded in the larger-scale general eastwards progression.

Also, you're forgetting it's Sydney. The ground staff will hang around doing three-fifths of stuff all for forty minutes after the rain stops, and the minimalist covering means the runups will be plenty wet.
Well yeah I implied the issues with the groundstaff by my second point :p

Strangely a lot of it is avoiding where I think the SCG is, but equally you're right that little showers won't help.

Starfighter

So now it's time to ask the question why Khawaja just shut up shop yesterday. I know batsmen tend to slow approaching milestones, but he didn't look like he wanted to even try get there. The weather was hardly a secret. Now we'll have the inevitable bickering over lost time for him to reach it.

Also, really glad we didn't go in with 3.5 bowlers into a match where a follow-on situation was likely, that too on the flattest deck in the country.

Starfighter

We're now reaching the point where they call lunch (because for some reason it can't be early) and they're off long enough for it to start drizzling again.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
ObservantKiwi: "Feel sorry for Pat Cummins, if they play on for Khawajas double, the press will be into him for sacrificing a win for individual milestones, and if he declares, the press will be in to him for not giving Uzzie his chance at a first double hundred."

Way to win this match is through a follow-on, so you want to bat once and get 550+, force SA into batting twice.

Declaring at the present score will mean Australia will probably have to bat again and take much more time out of the game than they'd if they continued batting till 550+

morgieb

ObservantKiwi: "Feel sorry for Pat Cummins, if they play on for Khawajas double, the press will be into him for sacrificing a win for individual milestones, and if he declares, the press will be in to him for not giving Uzzie his chance at a first double hundred."

Way to win this match is through a follow-on, so you want to bat once and get 550+, force SA into batting twice.

Declaring at the present score will mean Australia will probably have to bat again and take much more time out of the game than they'd if they continued batting till 550+
Nah there's not enough time to bat on I don't think. Even now we're in a battle for time.

180 overs might be enough to bowl South Africa out twice, but 160 overs would be tough. I think they have to declare and try and bowl them out twice. If SA can survive to 300, then I think a result was never meant to be.

TheJediBrah

Nah there's not enough time to bat on I don't think. Even now we're in a battle for time.

180 overs might be enough to bowl South Africa out twice, but 160 overs would be tough. I think they have to declare and try and bowl them out twice. If SA can survive to 300, then I think a result was never meant to be.
Another factor is that if SA bat the rest of the match they'll probably make more than this many runs and Aus will have to bat again anyway, so might as well give it a 10 over burst to boost the score