• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test tour of Pakistan December 2022

DirtyHarry

Cricket Spectator
So anyway, fixing the test side isn't quite as simple as picking the best players though having proper batsmen instead of bits and pieces players would certainly help. Getting the most talented players in the country to play FC instead of whoring themselves out in leagues should be the topmost priority. Otherwise we'll be left picking Avant Garde attacks every time a test series sneaks up. I do agree that the likes of Abbas would be far better than picking guys who haven't even played 10 FC games.
Look bro, it's really a waste of time and resources to rectify the Test team because there is no value of Test Cricket. In a few years Tests will be gone.

Howe_zat

Audio File
So anyway, fixing the test side isn't quite as simple as picking the best players though having proper batsmen instead of bits and pieces players would certainly help. Getting the most talented players in the country to play FC instead of whoring themselves out in leagues should be the topmost priority. Otherwise we'll be left picking Avant Garde attacks every time a test series sneaks up. I do agree that the likes of Abbas would be far better than picking guys who haven't even played 10 FC games.
I do think Pakistan were stuck between a rock and a hard place when it came to picking an attack for this series. Abbas could easily have been smashed on these decks if he's not in good nick, Afridi was injured and then they tried to pick a performing domestic seamer in Mohammed Ali who couldn't hack it. I'm not sure there was a simple answer to trying to pick two sensible seamers for the series. I do think Naseem Shah was hard done to for failing on a deck that most bowlers in history would have failed on.

The rest of the side though, yeah, they shot themselves in the foot. There was no reason to play Zahid Mahmood ahead of Abrar which was fairly mercilessly discussed in thread. And it doesn't make sense to pick Salman, Nawaz (3) and Faheem all in the same team either. I thought of those Salman did quite well but he barely bowled, so he should have been batting above the keeper and showing his worth as a bat. If you're not confident he can do that, can him and play a proper batsman, of which there are several waiting in the wings.

At least Saud Shakeel is a good find, as is Abdullah Shafiq from this season in general. Pakistan have a working batting order, a good legspinner and an array of capable second spinners. So as soon as they get 2/3 pace bowlers with a bit of form and confidence (i.e. selectors don't piss about with them) they'll do alright.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
@Nintendo which country are you from? You always seem to be on Australia and Pakistan threads.

The problem of not being able to pick the best bowlers because the decks are different is very much part of the particularly cowardly culture that Ramiz has brought. Pakistan went into that series looking to draw from the start, as they did the Australian one.

The other problem with guys like Ali is he's obviously just a journeyman nearer the end of his career than the start. There seems to be no interest in getting Pakistan's best pace prospects (or spin bowling allrounder prospects *cough*Shadab*cough*) to play FC cricket. When you rock up with a combination of guys who've succeeded in different conditions and ones who've barely any experience is when you have a really bad time.
Australian, just like a lot of the players in the PAK setup atm.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is musabir khan any good? One of the leading wicket takers over the past 2 pak 1st class season's and has a fc batting average of 41. Reckon he'de fit into this team better than salman as a 2nd spinner at 7 if his batting is any good.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australian, just like a lot of the players in the PAK setup atm.
That's a bit eccentric.
Is musabir khan any good? One of the leading wicket takers over the past 2 pak 1st class season's and has a fc batting average of 41. Reckon he'de fit into this team better than salman as a 2nd spinner at 7 if his batting is any good.
Quite a few people on PakPassion like him. Not sure that says anything.

DirtyHarry

Cricket Spectator
I do think Pakistan were stuck between a rock and a hard place when it came to picking an attack for this series. Abbas could easily have been smashed on these decks if he's not in good nick, Afridi was injured and then they tried to pick a performing domestic seamer in Mohammed Ali who couldn't hack it. I'm not sure there was a simple answer to trying to pick two sensible seamers for the series. I do think Naseem Shah was hard done to for failing on a deck that most bowlers in history would have failed on.

The rest of the side though, yeah, they shot themselves in the foot. There was no reason to play Zahid Mahmood ahead of Abrar which was fairly mercilessly discussed in thread. And it doesn't make sense to pick Salman, Nawaz (3) and Faheem all in the same team either. I thought of those Salman did quite well but he barely bowled, so he should have been batting above the keeper and showing his worth as a bat. If you're not confident he can do that, can him and play a proper batsman, of which there are several waiting in the wings.

At least Saud Shakeel is a good find, as is Abdullah Shafiq from this season in general. Pakistan have a working batting order, a good legspinner and an array of capable second spinners. So as soon as they get 2/3 pace bowlers with a bit of form and confidence (i.e. selectors don't piss about with them) they'll do alright.
FYI...Abbas is a quality bowler and he would have been very effective but as I said we didn't took this series seriously. Why waste energy in Tests especially against an average England team.

Howe_zat

Audio File
FYI...Abbas is a quality bowler and he would have been very effective but as I said we didn't took this series seriously. Why waste energy in Tests especially against an average England team.
If only there were a 7-match T20 series Pakistan could play at home to show us who's boss.