• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test tour of Pakistan December 2022

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yay! First innings lead.

Is 3/3 unprecedented for us in Pakistan?
It is. It's the first time England have done so against Pakistan in general, I think.

It might be the first time anyone's got three innings leads out of three in an away series, given the reluctance of sides to play in Zimbabwe or Bangladesh for more than two tests. Don't quite have the will to check that though.

Edit: This is tosh, imma do it properly in a minute

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yay! First innings lead.

Is 3/3 unprecedented for us in Pakistan?
Having looked at this actually properly now:

- It's England's first ever 3/3 first innings leads in Pakistan.
- The last time England were ahead in every game in a series in Pakistan was a 2-match series in 1969.
- The last time they did it in a 3 match series was the summer series in England in 1967. On Pakistan's previous tour of England in 1962 the home side got 5/5 innings leads.

Currently looking to see if this is the first 3/3 or better by any team in Pakistan.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Tail did well for us there and good knocks from Foakes and Brook.

50 is a big lead on this track although batting last won't be easy.

Crucial 3rd innings coming up - Pakistan need at least 300 to be right in this.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If you thought England opening the bowling with two spinners was a new thing, they've been doing it since 1881, where in the 1881/2 Ashes series* they did it four times, with slow left armer Ted Peate and offspinner Billy Bates. They failed to win a test on that tour, though the two spinners did manage to take 27 wickets in the four tests.

*might not have been called the Ashes yet

List

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd have taken this when I woke up just after the Stokes run-out and was expecting a 100+ deficit. A few random thoughts, for what they're worth. Firstly, the interviews with Brook after the previous test suggested that Bazball is rather more nuanced that some folks would have us believe; berating himself for his first innings dismissal before peeling off a lovely second innings ton when the ball was doing plenty. And of course he's just done the same thing here. Secondly, Foakes' batting is still criminally under-rated by some people; averaged 40 in the six home tests that he played this year, before an absolutely priceless knock today. Thirdly, I found it interesting that Wood was promoted above Robinson today. Maybe a message that supposedly being a half decent batsman doesn't count for much if he doesn't score some runs from time to time and if the happy slogger who was batting below him in the order regularly outscores him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If you thought England opening the bowling with two spinners ....
I'm not crazy about it tbh. And I know that Stokes has proved me wrong more than once since taking over, so Root and Leach will probably each take a couple before close of play now. But even on this pitch I'd like to see Robinson and Wood have a go with the new ball.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Foakes batting is massively underrated in my view.

He averages 31 with the bat, the same as Jos Buttler and Ollie Pope and more than Zak Crawley.

His keeping is top notch and he's a typical keeper batsman - always busy at the crease and often gets runs when they're really needed.