• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Blain

U19 Captain
Gahhh yeah not great, what has Tickner done to get into this squad? I could handle Duffy being there due to form at least. And Ish over Rippon is average, he spins the ball the same way as Ajaz also.

And agree, Conway should be opening.

I think I'm over Stead, we need some fresh ideas.

thierry henry

International Coach
I've been 100% in favour of this for a long time. For the ideal output of this team,even if it trims a little bit off Conways average, I really think it has to happen. The gap between Young and Conway as opener,I believe,is much wider than Young and Conway at 4.

We're sending a hell of a talented guy in Young towards having James Marshall's career if we can't get his skill set right. And he could be our next long form captain. Or he could be on the scrap heap.
Yeah tbh I argued against this before but I've sort of come around to it. I just can't think of many examples of an elite batsman being made to open despite knowing it will hamper his performance, so it feels wrong. Part of me accepting it almost comes down to accepting that Conway isn't exactly confirmed "elite" yet so doesn't have the right to just pick his spot. He obviously has some ability as an opener and Young seems like a decent #4 in waiting so it makes sense.

ashley bach

International Captain
This is excellent news, now Kane can get back to what he does best and concentrate his energies there.
Yikes as for another captain haven't thought much about that, nothing standing out at all unfortunately.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think Southee has pretty clearly been head of the attack in terms of bowling plans for about 10 years or so now. It kept him in the teams at times when his performance dipped. Williamson was always talking to Southee in the field.

Thankfully I don't think it's a Bazball thing.

That said I don't know if he will make a good captain outside of bowling/fielding placements. I guess Kane is still there as the Ace/talisman but historically hasn't Southee been a bit uhh, at odds with some squad members?

ashley bach

International Captain
I gotta confess....simply can't wait until those 2 home tests against Bazball. We have such a strong record against the poms at home, Bazball could
either ruin it or we could obliterate them, I really hope we're up for the challenge.

ashley bach

International Captain
I've always believed that if a player can be world class in the shorter format, the ability is there to transform that into test cricket.
Here's hoping this is the start for Glenn Dominic Phillips.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I admit to thinking Tickner was worth a shot in the T20 team, having been impressed with some of his performances for the Stags. But I think we've had enough of a sample size now to know that he's not quite up to it in internationals. So I'm happy to admit I was wrong on that one.

But his FC performances have never been anywhere near good enough to be in the frame for tests. I don't understand that at all.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm guessing he's there as cover for Southee and Henry. I think there are better options but I'm guessing that's the reasoning. For selectors they think Tickner>Duffy it would seem.

Glad Young is there, I'd feared he'd be dropped. But if he opens I'll be livid.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Who here rates him
Not me. I say the following without hyperbole- he'd probably be about 12th in terms of guys I'd want to pick for our Test side (with everyone fit/available):

Boult Southee Wagner Jamieson Henry Duffy Sears Ferguson Milne Fisher D.Bracewell Shipley.

Nup, at best 13th.

NZTailender

Not me. I say the following without hyperbole- he'd probably be about 12th in terms of guys I'd want to pick for our Test side (with everyone fit/available):

Boult Southee Wagner Jamieson Henry Duffy Sears Ferguson Milne Fisher D.Bracewell Shipley.

Nup, at best 13th.
I'd honestly go Rae ahead of Tickner itbt

NZTailender

I kind of figured Williamson would give up the L/O captaincy and not tests, but I guess he wants that one last shot at WC glory in both formats.