• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xix2565

International Debutant
I mean VK is still on the line as far as I'm concerned. The fact that he needs to get set is a problem, just like KL wilting or Rohit's lack of touch. Could easily make the case that a less experienced but more boundary hitting lineup is a better choice for India than holding on to Kohli, regardless of legacy and history.

Sunil1z

International Regular
We can keep arguing about the batting order , but the elephant in the room is our minnow level bowling performance in WC knockouts in last 20 years.

359/2 in WC 2003 F
340 odd in CT final 2017
170/0 in WT20 SF

While we need to address problems in our batting line up, how do we counter minnow level performance from our bowlers ?

Xix2565

International Debutant
We can keep arguing about the batting order , but the elephant in the room is our minnow level bowling performance in WC knockouts in last 20 years.

359/2 in WC 2003 F
340 odd in CT final 2017
170/0 in WT20 SF

While we need to address problems in our batting line up, how do we counter minnow level performance from our bowlers ?
You give 3 examples as proof for bowlers wilting in knockouts without any context. Is this supposed to mean anything?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Its silly to blame Virat for no boundaries in the PP when he played so little of it. And he at least attempts the boundary shots. TBF, from whatever I saw, so did Rohit but he is just so woefully out of form right now. Rahul is the one wiht the attitude issue IMO. Rohit anyways should probably be considering retiring from this format at least internationally. Virat is still the best batsman in India overall and he is far better and more consistent as the anchor than anyone else in the world, really.

I won't mind if Virat and Rohit both decide to quit T20s but if they don't, I think we should move on from Rohit but not Virat. At least not yet. He has basically been the WT20 GOAT batsman. We should still build around him IMO. And even if he does not fire, it's not like we will be lacking #3 options come 2024. I have already shared the sides I would want in an earlier post. Hopefully that is the route we take going forward.
That's not different from what I am saying too. Kohli is super valuable. It's the combination of Kohli at #3 with tuktuk openers that doesn't work. If we could not replace openers (because we forgot to pick replacement batsmen in the squad lol), we should have played Surya at #3 and Kohli at #4. In cricinfo's team of the tournament, Hales and Butler followed by Kohli is perfect combination.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Kohli is a step up on Lokesh and Rohit because he gets a lot of singles. Lokesh and Rohit go block-block-bash in the powerplay. They'll get to 10 off 10 with 8 dots and 2 boundaries. This is so wasteful because not only does our RR stay low, but even if you pair either of them up with someone explosive they'll struggle to give that guy enough strike.

Kohli usually ends up on 10 off 10 with like, 6 singles and a boundary. If he's paired up with someone explosive we'll get rapid starts even if he's going slow, just because he'll keep putting that guy back on strike.

Sunil1z

International Regular
You give 3 examples as proof for bowlers wilting in knockouts without any context. Is this supposed to mean anything?
Yes. We need to change our bowling line up too. Can’t have a bowling line up that consistently underperforms in knockout matches.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kohli is a step up on Lokesh and Rohit because he gets a lot of singles. Lokesh and Rohit go block-block-bash in the powerplay. They'll get to 10 off 10 with 8 dots and 2 boundaries. This is so wasteful because not only does our RR stay low, but even if you pair either of them up with someone explosive they'll struggle to give that guy enough strike.

Kohli usually ends up on 10 off 10 with like, 6 singles and a boundary. If he's paired up with someone explosive we'll get rapid starts even if he's going slow, just because he'll keep putting that guy back on strike.
Yeah rare good point from cnerd

Xix2565

International Debutant
Yes. We need to change our bowling line up too. Can’t have a bowling line up that consistently underperforms in knockout matches.
Yeah but that's a smaller issue in T20s considering how important batting is relatively. And it's pretty obvious the solution is better selection and backing, to account for injuries.

DriveClub

International Regular

Thats because rohit is a fat f**k, can’t run to save his life. Should automatically disqualify him from t20s but then theres ashwin in the team so the bar is pretty low. Maybe dravid wants to bring back the fitness standards from his playing days.

girish117

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

359/2 in WC 2003 F
340 odd in CT final 2017
170/0 in WT20 SF

exactly!! batting batting batting.. even the experts comment "india is twenty runs short" all that crap. i say f***k it. give me 140 and get me three wicket taking good bowlers and one bowler for containing the flow and I say we will win 4/5. 1.8 billion people and we cant produce 3 good bowlers. what a shame! now dont say bumrah and shami- i would argue while they are indeed A list bowlers but still a tad short compared to the likes of boult. boult's deliveries are unplayable sometimes and can rattle the best batsmen. bumrah and shami not so much.

Last edited:

girish117

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
kohli is just hanging in there.. he is suspectible to hit rock bottom again. its a wait and watch. his 82 off 55 has been the highlight though. but the peak is starting to fall. 50 off 40 or whatever in the game against england when he was struggling to time it is a early bird warning that he is probably past his prime three years ago and never recovered.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Very good analysis.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It’s kinda lame how bhuvi and arshdeep (shami to a lesser extent) did well the entire tournament, got hit around on a flattie and now people are saying they are why we suck

Our spinners were no good.
Agree. They were superb and in absence of Bumrah, I don't think any other bowlers we could have picked would have done better. Arshdeep is a fine prospect. As I said earlier, his rise to be the lead pace bowler for India in less than a year is Bumrah-esque. Bhuvi and Shami have age against them so there's that.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree. They were superb and in absence of Bumrah, I don't think any other bowlers we could have picked would have done better. Arshdeep is a fine prospect. As I said earlier, his rise to be the lead pace bowler for India in less than a year is Bumrah-esque. Bhuvi and Shami have age against them so there's that.
Yes, Arshdeep has really been awesome. We have other good potential bowlers too like Mukesh Chaudhary, Umran Malik, Natarajan and Mohsin Khan. Hoping for one or two of these guys to come good in internationals to support Bum and Arse.