• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your best batsman coming in at 3 is such a myth

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The thing is, as a #3 you need be padded up from ball 1. Some folks like it, some folks dont. Sometimes its that simple.

Howsie

International Captain
It’s why Williamson gets extra points over the rest of the Fab 4 for me. Got the big balls doesn’t hide down the order

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For anyone unfamiliar, it's something Ian Chappell bangs on about mercilessly, especially when Joe Root comes down here batting at four.

Greg Chappell batted at four, and someone here rather perceptively pointed out it means Ian (who batted at three) probably considers himself to be a better batsman than Greg.

Last edited:

mr_mister

For anyone unfamiliar, it's something Ian Chappell bangs on about mercilessly, especially when Joe Root comes down here batting at four.

Greg Chappell batted at four, and someone here rather perceptively pointed out it means Ian (who batted at three) probably considers himself to be a better batsman than Greg.
I was gonna use Ian Chappell instead of Greg being there as another example of 3 being overrated as the best batsman spot but didn't know how to word it. He did average above 40 but yes, clearly inferior to Greg

I wonder if there was a bit of like, "I'm your older brother Greg and already established here, I'm not moving" even after it was clear Greg was gonna be a better test batsmen than him so there was no shuffle in the order

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think no 3 was always regarded as the most difficult position to bat technically as ideally you need the defensive abilities of an opener but also the attacking abilities of the middle order.

I always thought Ponting was a brilliant no 3 - good enough defensively to come in 2nd ball but also good enough as a stroke maker to come in at 200-1.

As for Root, as a former opener he's good enough defensively to bat at 3 and is also an excellent stroke maker. But if he's more comfortable at 4 then he should bat there.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Yeah this is basically just an egocentric Chappellism. He batted #3 which means the best batsman in the side should do what he did.

It's a bit like how he spent years telling everyone you can't really just put the hook shot away and that criticism of him for getting caught at fine leg every third innings was off the mark, so then decided he had to hate Steve Waugh for proving him wrong.

mr_mister

Yeah this is basically just an egocentric Chappellism. He batted #3 which means the best batsman in the side should do what he did.

It's a bit like how he spent years telling everyone you can't really just put the hook shot away and that criticism of him for getting caught at fine leg every third innings was off the mark, so then decided he had to hate Steve Waugh for proving him wrong.
Ah, so that explains the hook shot saga with Steve. Always knew he thought less of Steve for shelving it but didn't know compulsive hooking was Ian's downfall as a player! Explains a lot