• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand fast bowlers who are 'definitely' better than Kapil Dev

About New Zealand fast bowlers who are 'definitely' better than Kapil Dev

• Fuller Pilch was right

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Fuller Pilch was wrong

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bond revisionism makes me wonder how hard the narrative would swing on Bumrah in 10 years if the injury he had around test 20 and 80 wickets or so knocked him out.

"Bumrah isn't even better than RP Singh ffs"
Bumrah has been India's MVP in several away series already. Bond just broke down in Aus and never returned. He played less than two tests per year and never two in a row ffs.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Indian fans dying on the hill of one of their pace bowlers being a true ATG with the ball was unexpected but good. Its like us arguing Vettori would make it into an Indian team on bowling alone. Sure, for like 3 Tests.

Flem274*

123/5
Bumrah has been India's MVP in several away series already. Bond just broke down in Aus and never returned. He played less than two tests per year and never two in a row ffs.
Awards count for me but not for thee, thou worse than Chatfield.

Chatfield.

I might sig it.

Johan

U19 12th Man
Kapil can be the change bowler in the team of hadlee and bond , with wagner as the spinner ofcourse , as he would have support and would have better stats in general.

vettori might genuinely not make fourth all time india XI with the ball but could as an all rounder

TheJediBrah

No I find it genuinely hilarious the confidence with which you assert that random shield cricketer would've been ATVG at least when guys like Blewett, Bevan, Elliott and Hayden v1 bombed so hard. It's legit FP or Stephen bad.
You're delusional and wrong. Trying so hard to paint statements varying from reasonable to objectively factual as if they are FP or Migara-level does nothing but reflect poorly on you. And read the room. The general consensus re Bevan agreed with me. And suggesting that Stuart Law could have had a Graeme Thorpe like career is not unreasonable. He averaged more in FC cricket and played more in a tougher competition.

Stop trying so hard, not doing yourself any favours

Athlai

Not Terrible
You're delusional and wrong. Trying so hard to paint statements varying from reasonable to objectively factual as if they are FP or Migara-level does nothing but reflect poorly on you. And read the room. The general consensus re Bevan agreed with me. And suggesting that Stuart Law could have had a Graeme Thorpe like career is not unreasonable. He averaged more in FC cricket and played more in a tougher competition.

This isnt how you do it

Johan

U19 12th Man

I really need to find the context behind this migara stuff

the big bambino

International Captain
Genuine question, would you say Cowie is also better than Anderson?

I don't really care about the Bond thing, Kapil could do whatever Kapil did 10 kph quicker if he was okay getting injured for 9 out of 10 matches he had to play,
That's true about Bond but he still had that aura of fear. Then again Kapil had a magnificent record v WI and in Oz which I think is even more impressive than his 434 wickets overall. I'm not going to defend what I've said to the death and can easily see why people would rate Kapil higher. t Kapil's achievements rank Bond's ... it's just that I had butterflies whenever he played Australia and I'm reacting to that feeling.

I hope what I'm about to say wont get me into an Anderson **** fight because I do rate him. I rate many bowlers above him. Kapil and Cowie included. In his element he's magnificent. Otherwise I think he has to play an end stopping role. So for example I think in certain conditions like In Oz then someone like Archer would be the more worrisome bowler with Anderson playing a support role.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Bumrah is in the same tier as guys like Bishop and Shoaib at the moment. They all did enough to prove that they would become ATGs if it wasn’t for injuries.

Bond didn’t really do enough. He could have easily ended up with a record similar to Starc in odi and test cricket.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bumrah is in the same tier as guys like Bishop and Shoaib at the moment. They all did enough to prove that they would become ATGs if it wasn’t for injuries.

Bond didn’t really do enough. He could have easily ended up with a record similar to Starc in odi and test cricket.
287 @27?

TheJediBrah

That's true about Bond but he still had that aura of fear. Then again Kapil had a magnificent record v WI and in Oz which I think is even more impressive than his 434 wickets overall. I'm not going to defend what I've said to the death and can easily see why people would rate Kapil higher. t Kapil's achievements rank Bond's ... it's just that I had butterflies whenever he played Australia and I'm reacting to that feeling.

I hope what I'm about to say wont get me into an Anderson **** fight because I do rate him. I rate many bowlers above him. Kapil and Cowie included. In his element he's magnificent. Otherwise I think he has to play an end stopping role. So for example I think in certain conditions like In Oz then someone like Archer would be the more worrisome bowler with Anderson playing a support role.
I've never really been an Anderson fan but what you're saying here is at least 5 years out of date. Anderson has been ATG level in almost all conditions for a while now. He doesn't compare overseas to how he is with the duke in overcast England but he's still very, very good.

In the last 5 years he's averaged 23 away from home. He hasn't been a Philander-like conditions-reliant trundler for years

Flem274*

123/5
Bond is an undisputed ODI ATG. I can understand the longevity stuff yadda yadda in test cricket, but there aren't many ODI fast bowlers I'd leave Bond unselected for. He is the only man in history I'm aware of to have the wood on the greatest ODI side of all time over a very respectable sample size.

Flem274*

123/5
I've never really been an Anderson fan but what you're saying here is at least 5 years out of date. Anderson has been ATG level in almost all conditions for a while now. He doesn't compare overseas to how he is with the duke in overcast England but he's still very, very good.

In the last 5 years he's averaged 23 away from home. He hasn't been a Philander-like conditions-reliant trundler for years
Yeah I cursed a good thing about the time I started memeing on the bastard.

TheJediBrah

Bond is an undisputed ODI ATG. I can understand the longevity stuff yadda yadda in test cricket, but there aren't many ODI fast bowlers I'd leave Bond unselected for. He is the only man in history I'm aware of to have the wood on the greatest ODI side of all time over a very respectable sample size.
I'm bored of the longevity card. It's obviously not meaningless but it often just shuts down good discussions when you can just say "didn't play for as long, therefore not as good".

Even though he was fitter, did more and played for longer, Kapil Dev was not as good at bowling as Shane Bond. That should count for something at least, even if it doesn't mean you think Bond was better overall

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Anderson’s record over the past 12 years is similar to Pollock’s record over his entire 12 year career. Both are amazing in bowler friendly conditions at home. Away from home, they aren’t as potent but very economical.

trundler

You're both right in a way. He has improved leaps and bounds but usually he's going to take 2/45 instead of 4-5 or more wickets that seal the deal. He's legit dangerous on wickets with uneven bounce these days so fair play to him.

Johan

U19 12th Man
Kapil > Bond has to be peak CW contrarianism lol , Hadlee > Bond > Kapil > other NZ pacers