• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand fast bowlers who are 'definitely' better than Kapil Dev

About New Zealand fast bowlers who are 'definitely' better than Kapil Dev

• Fuller Pilch was right

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Fuller Pilch was wrong

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
Except India > NZ.
No doubt

Batting
Ind >>>>> NZ
Spin
Ind >>>>>>>>>> NZ
Pace
NZ >>>> Ind

The numbers don't lie and they do confirm India is historically a better Test team than NZ and that Kapil wouldn't be in the top 10 kiwi pace bowlers.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
look at this guy acting like Bumrah and Akhtar are known for being fit. Get outta here lol.

With bowlers you just know. You don't leave them in FC to prove themselves like you do with batsmen and you're sure as hell not going to do it for your nations all time side. Sucks to suck batsmen.

Bond made it through the majority of his tests. I can think of 2 injuries, maybe 3 during a test match. Huge JAMODI series were where he had most of the injuries, and he wouldn't be risked in those today, like Bumrah often isn't.

If you're gonna Richard and argue Chats is better than Bond then you should see a doctor and cut down your salt intake.
No I said Bond didn't even demonstrate the level of durability those (fragile) guys as is indicated by the qualifier 'even'. You never know until you know because plenty of pace bowlers fizzle out after a good start. Bond didn't even achieve much in his 18 tests unlike the other guys I listed. You aren't applying the same level of scrutiny to his record that the forum usually does. It's heavily propped up by minnow bashing and green seamers. You're just falling for the pace meme. Bond didn't do anything more than Muhammad Abbas objectively.

trundler

An XI of guys flem thinks would've been better if they had played fewer tests because pretty numbers trump proving yourself over and over in diverse conditions.

Lawrence Rowe
Mark Taylor
Jonathan Trott
Mark Waugh
Jimmy Adams
Ian Bell
Brad Haddin
Vernon Philander
Brett Lee
Ajantha Mendis
Muhammad Abbas

Gob

International Coach
No I find it genuinely hilarious the confidence with which you assert that random shield cricketer would've been ATVG at least when guys like Blewett, Bevan, Elliott and Hayden v1 bombed so hard. It's legit FP or Stephen bad.
Bloke averaged 57 in fc cricket with close to 18k runs. Also he didn't boost his fc record beating up county sides like Hussey. Almost all touring international teams got trounced by shield teams during Bevan's career. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that he would average 45 in test cricket if he had more opportunities

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Bloke averaged 57 in fc cricket with close to 18k runs. Also he didn't boost his fc record beating up county sides like Hussey. Almost all touring international teams got trounced by shield teams during Bevan's career. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that he would average 45 in test cricket if he had more opportunities
No, what it shows is the man couldn’t hack the pressure of a tiny country like Australia.
Imagine if he had the pressure of a billion people.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I personally can't see how bowlers who didn't touch 100 test wickets are better than him.
That's just silly. Frank Tyson and Harold Larwood took 76 and 78 wickets respectively and both were obviously several tiers above Kapil as bowlers.

Last edited:

trundler

That's just silly. Frank Tyson and Harold Latwood took 76 and 78 wickets respectively and both were obviously several tiers above Kapil as bowlers.
No they weren't but they were better than Bond because Bond never put together a series like either's magnum opus. That too on Aussie roads.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Kapil ended on an extreme loser note. You cannot imagine how sick Indian fans were at the sight of him by the time he limped past Hadlee's tally. Obviously an Indian legend though, bowled into the dirt playing for an unathletic Indian side, and could've done better in a SENA setup.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I can only judge on what I have watched. I saw Shane Bond bowl in NZ and destroy India's batting, Brian Lara, and produce a motm performance to beat Pakistan on day 5 in what was Bond's final test. As a teenager I remember a very hyped battle between Hadlee and Kapil in 1990. Hadlee and Danny Morrison were superb, while Kapil was mediocre. Manoj Prabhakar was by far India's best allrounder! Through the 90s NZ got destroyed at home by top quality seamers from Pakistan, the Windies, South Africa (surprisingly competed better with the Aussies), and even Chaminda Vaas. Heath Streak also bowled well here. What I see influences my opinion.