• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand fast bowlers who are 'definitely' better than Kapil Dev

About New Zealand fast bowlers who are 'definitely' better than Kapil Dev

• Fuller Pilch was right

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Fuller Pilch was wrong

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
He needs to play two matches in a row and actually bowl on pitches suited to cricket.
If Bond played as many matches as Kapil he'd have 630 wickets. Obv he has injury issues but if he never played in the ICL and got banned he'd have probably ended up with 150 to 200 wickets.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bond was also hampered not only by injury but also the cricketing politics that surrounded the ICL. We lost years of his career in the most frustrating way.
Bond's body just wasn't up to tests. If it hadn't been for the ICL I think he probably would've retired from tests a couple of years earlier than he ultimately did.

srbhkshk

International Captain
If Bond played as many matches as Kapil he'd have 630 wickets. Obv he has injury issues but if he never played in the ICL and got banned he'd have probably ended up with 150 to 200 wickets.
If he played as many matches as Kapil he would have made a world record of human with most fractures during his lifetime and would have had maybe 25 extra wickets to what he has now.

Johan

U19 12th Man
Genuine question, would you say Cowie is also better than Anderson?

I don't really care about the Bond thing, Kapil could do whatever Kapil did 10 kph quicker if he was okay getting injured for 9 out of 10 matches he had to play,
Jimmy's last 327 wickets are at 21.66 a piece with 53 SR and 2.4 ER , no comparasion with the few test wonders of Newzealand or Kapil for that matter , only Hadlee is his superior in bowling in both NZ and Ind.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bond's body just wasn't up to tests. If it hadn't been for the ICL I think he probably would've retired from tests a couple of years earlier than he ultimately did.
It was probably one of his best periods for fitness and his performances on both ends of the ban were phenomenal.

You're right that he probably wouldn't have played all 17 Tests but 10-12 was achievable and it'd have been all he needed to hit 150 Test wickets

srbhkshk

International Captain
Jimmy's last 327 wickets are at 21.66 wickets wirh 53 SR and 2.4 ER , no comparasion with the few test wonders of Newzealand or Kapil for that matter.
Kapil has 434 wickets at an average of 0 once I filter his stats for only the deliveries where he got wickets.

Johan

U19 12th Man
Kapil has 434 wickets at an average of 0 once I filter his stats for only the deliveries where he got wickets.
Jimmy has 650+ wickets at an average of 0 once I filter his stats for only the deliveries where he got wickets.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
'would've'

Aunty, balls, uncle etc. I don't think Bond is being treated unfairly because he didn't hit an arbitrary number. He just didn't have a full career and never dealt with the challenges associated with that. His home average of 19 is as meaningless as his away average of 33 (excluding Zimbos) because of samplesizelol. Kapil played 16 tests in a single year as the lone pacer.

Edit: I didn't see the post above noting he had years where he played more actually.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Half of Dev's wickets are from draws where the opposition fell asleep from boredom at the other side.

Flem274*

123/5
Bond revisionism makes me wonder how hard the narrative would swing on Bumrah in 10 years if the injury he had around test 20 and 80 wickets or so knocked him out.

"Bumrah isn't even better than RP Singh ffs"

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why you leaning so hard into this bit, not funny and makes you look dumb tbh
No I find it genuinely hilarious the confidence with which you assert that random shield cricketer would've been ATVG at least when guys like Blewett, Bevan, Elliott and Hayden v1 bombed so hard. It's legit FP or Stephen bad.