• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kohli vs Root

Kohli vs Root in Tests. Overall careers.

• Total voters

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Think Kohli is still comfortably #2 of the current era due to having big series everywhere although he could end up #4. Williamson vs Root would be a lot closer.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root and it's not particularly close

It was close 2 or 3 years ago but Kohli's been blown away now

Flem274*

123/5
Root. Top class for longer. His lulls have involved scoring 50s and averaging in the 40s for periods. Kohli’s lulls involve tailend averages.
That's good logic actually.

Rocks and diamonds is far harder for a team to handle than vanilla and diamonds. It gives Root some greater value even if you tried to argue Kohli's ceiling was higher (which is not my view).

Chrish

International Debutant
My heart gets stabbed with pain each time I think about how Kohli has regressed. He was going to be the next icon like his predecessors Sunil and Sachin. Had so much ability which he actually displayed for 3-4 years. Captained the best Indian team in the history.

Fast-forward and now even his place is uncertain in the squad!

Howsie

International Captain
Kohli was always an overrated test batsman. Had some good runs here and there but the way he was talked up you’d think he was Tendulkar, Lara, Sangakakrra etc…

That’s not his fault obviously, there is just way too many media types that kiss ass when it comes to Indian players ?

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Most of the Fab 4 are overrated outside of this forum. I think Shane Watson recently said that Kohli was the best test batsman in the world.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most of the Fab 4 are overrated outside of this forum. I think Shane Watson recently said that Kohli was the best test batsman in the world.
I'm sure Shane Watson has reasons for saying that don't involve total honesty lol

Flem274*

123/5
Kohli was always an overrated test batsman. Had some good runs here and there but the way he was talked up you’d think he was Tendulkar, Lara, Sangakakrra etc…

That’s not his fault obviously, there is just way too many media types that kiss ass when it comes to Indian players ?
oh good, howsie has come out swinging. the last time you did this southee turned to **** and kohli scored like a billion runs in a row.

if you jinx him out of him rut can you start posting how KW and KJ are secretly hacks please? thanks.

Howsie

International Captain
oh good, howsie has come out swinging. the last time you did this southee turned to **** and kohli scored like a billion runs in a row.

if you jinx him out of him rut can you start posting how KW and KJ are secretly hacks please? thanks.
Kohli doesn’t even average 50 ffs. I’ll stand by what I said years ago about him.

You have always been a Southee hater won’t even bother there ?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Was a close debate three years ago, would have personally lent towards Kohli. Root is clearly the better player right now.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Premature thread this. If both were to retire now, Root would be ahead pretty clearly. However, impossible to rule out a Root decline going ahead which might take his average around 47-48, though not to the same diabolical extent as Kohli has over the last 2 years.

So lets wait until both careers finish.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah Root’s been the bigger wicket for a while now but it’d be completely unsurprising if they swapped over again.