• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Heath Davis

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good on him. It’s also quite reassuring that the Auckland team were accepting of him back in the day. A little bit surprising given how much attitudes have changed even since then. Clearly he still felt uncomfortable about being more open about it until now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a really touching article actually. Bloke obviously went though a lot. I hope he doesn't find the inherent tension between his faith and his ***uality overwhelming. Good luck to him.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Heard a heck of a lot of stories about Davis - usually entertaining and without malice - from one of the guys featured in the video no less, but as is said, he may have thrived if he'd popped up 20 years later.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
He has Maori roots? Never knew anyone from the community played international cricket.

Wish good life to Heath Davis!

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Also never knew that he was terrifyingly fast. Only remember him for being smashed around silly by Tendulkar in an ODI in 1997 which ended his career iirc.

Edit: scorecard

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He has Maori roots? Never knew anyone from the community played international cricket.

Wish good life to Heath Davis!
Not huge numbers. Heath Davis, Adam Parore, Jesse Ryder, Daryl Tuffey, Trent Boult. Looking it up suggests a few others - Shane Bond, Doug Bracewell, Kyle Mills, Craig McMillan and Peter McGlashan. And then on the women's side, at least Susie Bates and Lea Tehuhu.

Binkley

U19 Captain
That doco and article were really a revelation to me. I was at school with Heath, and we played cricket for the same club. “Different” is exactly how I thought of him. He always seemed to swing between outrageous and completely absent. Like at club functions he would make a short very loud and attention-seeking appearance and would then disappear and not be seen again. Similarly, on the field or in the nets he would veer wildly between bored and distracted and lethally focused. Which was scary as ****. I had no inkling of his ***uality (in fact, I remember him hitting on my sister a lot), but he always struck me as someone who didn’t really fit in, and was alternating between trying to fit in and not wanting to fit in at all and wanting to just **** everything up instead.

For a long time I felt really frustrated whenever I thought about him - my perspective being “he could have been great, if only he got his **** together”. I feel ****ty about feeling that way now. Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes and all that. Kudos to him for achieving what he did, while still trying to figure out who he was. That really is remarkable and a real testament to him.

thierry henry

International Coach
That doco and article were really a revelation to me. I was at school with Heath, and we played cricket for the same club. “Different” is exactly how I thought of him. He always seemed to swing between outrageous and completely absent. Like at club functions he would make a short very loud and attention-seeking appearance and would then disappear and not be seen again. Similarly, on the field or in the nets he would veer wildly between bored and distracted and lethally focused. Which was scary as ****. I had no inkling of his ***uality (in fact, I remember him hitting on my sister a lot), but he always struck me as someone who didn’t really fit in, and was alternating between trying to fit in and not wanting to fit in at all and wanting to just **** everything up instead.

For a long time I felt really frustrated whenever I thought about him - my perspective being “he could have been great, if only he got his **** together”. I feel ****ty about feeling that way now. Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes and all that. Kudos to him for achieving what he did, while still trying to figure out who he was. That really is remarkable and a real testament to him.
True, but also...seems a bit reductive to pin everything about him on "ah he was gay, that explains it", right? By all accounts he was a genuinely "different" guy in a lot of ways and it seems like he had certain personality traits that weren't going to lend themselves to a long and glorious cricket career. I dunno if this is me being churlish but I'm not sure if the message here is "Heath Davis would have been an ATG if society was more accepting of homosexuality".

Also everyone already knew this right? I've known this for like 20 years but now I can't work out how

Chubb

International Regular
Not huge numbers. Heath Davis, Adam Parore, Jesse Ryder, Daryl Tuffey, Trent Boult. Looking it up suggests a few others - Shane Bond, Doug Bracewell, Kyle Mills, Craig McMillan and Peter McGlashan. And then on the women's side, at least Susie Bates and Lea Tehuhu.
Peter McGlashan's sister Sara too.

For non-NZers, there are a lot of people who have mixed Maori-European ancestry in our country.

Binkley

U19 Captain
True, but also...seems a bit reductive to pin everything about him on "ah he was gay, that explains it", right?
I am not trying to be reductive, but I talked about this with a non-binary friend of the same age today, and he felt Heath’s behaviour really reflected his own lived experience. In summary, my friend said he was a real dick as a young guy - and that this dickish behaviour wasn’t about being gay, it was about being self-hating and unable to be true to who he actually was.