• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

in the end

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
that catch was well taken ' in the end '
when is a catch ever taken in the beginning?
possibly the most irritating commentary in vogue at the moment-in the end.
Closely followed by ' long leavers '

Aritro

International Regular
I love "long levers". It's very evocative. I've never noticed "in the end" at all, but on reflection they tend to say it when a fielder gets caught under a high ball and adjusts their position in time to take it. In the end.

I'm a lot less perturbed about any of this than you are, I'd say.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It almost makes sense for one of those juggled catches where the fielder fumbles their initial attempt but are able to catch the rebound

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To be fair, there are those skied chances where fielders initially misjudge the ball and end up having to dive or something to take it when it could have been more straightforward had they judged it properly in the first place. The "in the end" wont be out of place there either apart from what GAS mentioned.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Another that gives me the ****s is “He just about made the catch,” meaning the catch was completed.

I grew up thinking “just about” meant that you were close to achieving your goal but just missed it.

Maybe it’s a UK English thing.

thierry henry

International Coach
Another that gives me the ****s is “He just about made the catch,” meaning the catch was completed.

I grew up thinking “just about” meant that you were close to achieving your goal but just missed it.

Maybe it’s a UK English thing.
Yeah I think that’s just a UK thing not a cricket thing. It’s a little annoying that they use an expression to mean the exact opposite of what it means but….the English amirite

thierry henry

International Coach
Imagine how hard it must be for Ben Stokes to remember to use ‘just about’ that way while doing the accent at the same time