• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

in the end

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
maiden's a bit weird imo

up there with a michelle, though i think no one uses that any more. maybe we can rename that one a macewell

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
i prefer it when commentators describe whats happening on the field.. But im not a big fan of commentators coaching me as if im playing. Im never going to play at that level and i doubt id take advice from a commentator if i did, but thats seems to be the trend for commentators lately. Coaching the viewer.

Tom Flint

International Regular
i prefer it when commentators describe whats happening on the field.. But im not a big fan of commentators coaching me as if im playing. Im never going to play at that level and i doubt id take advice from a commentator if i did, but thats seems to be the trend for commentators lately. Coaching the viewer.
Commentators usually are ex internationals.

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
Commentators usually are ex internationals.
so ?
also danny morrison's voice gets on my nerves. I just turn the volume off when he's around. Shane warne's commentary was also annoying but i suppose i dont have to worry about that anymore, thank god

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This isn't my experience at all. If anything they dumb it down too much for the viewer.

If they're not going to get technical then what are they going to talk about the whole time? 6 hours of saying "reverse sweep is dumb"?

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
how about ' cover drive from an outswinger for 4'
its not rocket surgery and im damned if i want a coaching lesson.
if they persist with this fad ill just turn the volume off because im damned sure they didnt coach me in years past and they seemed to have plenty to talk about

Aritro

International Regular
Commentators going into detail about batting and bowling technique is pretty much the only thing I like about commentary. Plus when they educate the viewer about aspects of tactics you wouldn't have thought of.

And like TJB said, I hate it when they dumb down those aspects although I realise they're doing it on purpose, so they don't alienate the mainstream audience (as per Kerry Packer's old production rules). The South African commentary is the worst for that.

What I've always loved about the English coverage on Sky/BT is that it's targeted towards the fairly knowledgeable niche following that makes up England's cricketing audience. They're not trying to keep it relatable for the everyman, because the everyman doesn't really give a **** about cricket over there. As a result, you get some of the best and most detailed analysis going.

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
the shane warne comment was insensitive to those who cared he was dead but as good a player as he was i didnt know him personally and have had a gutful of all the senseless memorials. he's dead move on and yes i hated his commentary.
What a wonderful world it would be if everyone who annoyed me dropped dead before their time. Bowling shane

Last edited:

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
since this thread is about annoying commentary , i also find mel jones hard to listen to, although im sure shes saying something sensible.

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why is she hard to listen to?
her tone of voice gives me the willies. I have no idea why.
Also i shouldve said in the OP when the catch isnt juggled obviously as then it would make sense to say 'in the end'
And ive got no problem with technical commentary and may even understand whats being said but thats different than being coached. So irrelevant

Last edited: