• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Kirkut

International Regular
New test cricket is boring and irritating. At least let test be test cricket ffs. Odis are already extended t20s. We don't need tests to develop into a 5 day t20 game.
It's just the inevitable fearlessness that came with T20s. 20 years ago 140 kph was fast, now it's not a big deal at all.

The recent Australia vs Pakistan test series did bring back the memories of how tests used to be.

Flem274*

123/5
I suspect you guys from England don't get it. Michael Bracewell isn't a batting allrounder like Daryl Mitchell - he's a top order batsman (and not a dominant one) who bowls very part time offies.

There is no pitch in the world, nevermind England, where only 3 bowlers are acceptable. There is no deck in the world where Bracewell is a better spin option than Ajaz Patel.

The treatment of Ajaz in particular reeks of favoritism towards some players and outright refusal to acknowledge the existence of others.

Kirkut

International Regular
I will definitely add Bairstow's ton in this test to the list of "most aesthetic innings you've seen" thread, superb shots in the V.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suspect you guys from England don't get it. Michael Bracewell isn't a batting allrounder like Daryl Mitchell - he's a top order batsman (and not a dominant one) who bowls very part time offies.

There is no pitch in the world, nevermind England, where only 3 bowlers are acceptable. There is no deck in the world where Bracewell is a better spin option than Ajaz Patel.

The treatment of Ajaz in particular reeks of favoritism towards some players and outright refusal to acknowledge the existence of others.
They’re probably just overrating Bracewell’s bowling. I don’t think they think they’ve picked a 3 man attack.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
All of that chat and rough outside the off and they get Bracewell to bowl around the wicket.

nzfan

They’re probably just overrating Bracewell’s bowling. I don’t think they think they’ve picked a 3 man attack.
To put things to perspective if he didn't captain the local domestic side Wellington firebirds likely he would not have bowled an over in first class cricket. It's that level

Xix2565

International Debutant
No **** Sherlock but runs are important too. NZ are trying to balance wicket taking against run making and came to this decision.

Now listen instead of assuming. If England did the same they’d have come to their own conclusions but I wouldn’t have agreed with it. As I don’t agree with the kiwi team mix either. I’m just saying I get it particularly given the location of the test.
Yeah and NZ ****ed up, in case you decided to miss my point. Bowling well is a bigger priority if you want to win Tests, and going in with only 3 proper bowlers is begging for a loss. A proper 4th bowler would 9/10 times have kept any side hobbling at 55-5 down.

Location is irrelevant unless you think winning games at Leeds with 4+ bowlers is impossible. It'll never make sense no matter where you go unless the side has given up on winning.

Uppercut

To put things to perspective if he didn't captain the local domestic side Wellington firebirds likely he would not have bowled an over in first class cricket. It's that level
Yeah but it’s a fairly run of the mill bad selection, no worse than England picking Crawley when he’d struggle to get in the Kent team. Knowingly picking 8 batsmen and 3 bowlers would be another level of madness.

flibbertyjibber

I will definitely add Bairstow's ton in this test to the list of "most aesthetic innings you've seen" thread, superb shots in the V.
Think in a way you can liken it to Botham in 81. The one last week was a bit like Headingley 81 where he went for stuff and it came off. This is like the Old Trafford 81 ton where it is a far better more controlled innings but just as destructive.

flibbertyjibber

I'd like to know what the NZ fans think. Is he a decent bowler like say Hick and Hooper were or is he more part time like Pietersen and Root who probably should have bowled more but didn't. He clearly isn't a full time bowler.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah but it’s a fairly run of the mill bad selection, no worse than England picking Crawley when he’d struggle to get in the Kent team. Knowingly picking 8 batsmen and 3 bowlers would be another level of madness.
Yeah picking a **** player is just what England have to do. Randomly picking 3 bowlers including 2 old boys in their 3rd test in 2 weeks is lunacy

nzfan

We had stopped doing this of late but it's picked up yet again. Playing players out of their designated roles. Trying to make funky selections and hoping for a miracle etc

This used to be prevalent in the 90s when they used to pick a bolter out of the blue for an overseas series but at least those guys used to generally perform the role they were used to in domestic cricket. They used to be moved on after like a series but with Bracewell they have him centrally contracted now to use him as a bowler for years to come.

It's like Nicholas Pooran picked 4 fer in white ball cricket vs Pakistan so let's have him as our primary spin bowler in an all important test series and till he retires.

Bracewell generally bats at no 5 in domestic cricket. Can definitely bat but way down in the pecking order in red ball cricket. Gun t20 batter though.