• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to know what the NZ fans think. Is he a decent bowler like say Hick and Hooper were or is he more part time like Pietersen and Root who probably should have bowled more but didn't. He clearly isn't a full time bowler.
As far as I can see he made the white ball side vs the Netherlands as a batting allrounder bcos the NZ IPL were unavailable (including Neesham and Mitchell). He was a 6th bowler who turned a couple to dismiss a couple of Dutchmen. I see he has a 1st class 5-fer (something Santner has yet to achieve), but I'd consider him a part-timer. His uncle John would be NZ's greatest offie, so perhaps that played a part in the selectors' thinking. I'd say worse than Root.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Top knock Bairstow. Won't be surprised if he gets to 300. I can't see how we can get him out. The only way to get him out probably is to bowl Bracewell and Bairstow plays a slog and holes out

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to know what the NZ fans think. Is he a decent bowler like say Hick and Hooper were or is he more part time like Pietersen and Root who probably should have bowled more but didn't. He clearly isn't a full time bowler.
He is a genuine part-timer, you wouldn't say he'd reached Root-level yet. Only been bowling domestically for two season and has 20 something career wickets. I don't even mind suspending disbelief for a minute if selectors thought he 'had promise' with the ball and played him as a fifth bowler. But fourth bowler is such a terrible idea.

If we'd played him as a batsman instead of Nicholls there might've been some mild grumbles but nothing too serious. I'll stop going on about it now but that's why NZ fans are genuinely annoyed and bemused.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
As far as I can see he made the white ball side vs the Netherlands as a batting allrounder bcos the NZ IPL were unavailable (including Neesham and Mitchell). He was a 6th bowler who turned a couple to dismiss a couple of Dutchmen. I see he has a 1st class 5-fer (something Santner has yet to achieve), but I'd consider him a part-timer. His uncle John would be NZ's greatest offie, so perhaps that played a part in the selectors' thinking. I'd say worse than Root.
Now that they've selected him they should back their own decision and bowl him. Really frustrating to see them not even back their own selection. If you selected based out of whatever logic at least back the player.