• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Football Season 2021/22***

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The whole "ref ruined the game" thing was given a lot of air at the time, but even if one believes that the game was objectively spoiled from a viewing perspective, it's a total red herring. It was one of the most blatant red cards ever.
Arsenals goal come from a free kick they won off a hilarious eboue dive too iirc

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It was a definite red card, but had play continued and the goal been given he might not have had to send him off as it wasn't dangerous and hadn't denied a goalscoring opportunity.

Uppercut

It was a definite red card, but had play continued and the goal been given he might not have had to send him off as it wasn't dangerous and hadn't denied a goalscoring opportunity.
The rules of football don't allow refs to make this kind of judgement call. If any red card offence is committed they have to just stop the game immediately and send the player off.

It's not the most sensible rule, and the goalscoring opportunity rule was even sillier back then, but the ref personally took a lot of flak from Andy Gray and co that he didn't deserve.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't seen it since and don't intend revisiting it ever, but I thought the ball was in the net before he even had chance to blow. Some at the time thought the goal should have stood and the red card given.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The rules of football don't allow refs to make this kind of judgement call. If any red card offence is committed they have to just stop the game immediately and send the player off.
This is no longer true. The referee can play advantage on a 'denying a goalscoring opportunity' challenge if the ball breaks to someone else and therefore there is advantage. And in that case he should then give a yellow.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think in those days the advantage rule existed but didn't allow the ref to bring it back if there wasn't one. But it all happened so quickly that he hadn't blown to stop the game anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I think it's a change that came around the same time as the 'no red if it was an attempt at a fair tackle' rule

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I remember playing Fifa (the 2013 version I think) against a friend once and I had a player sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity despite the fact that a goal was scored and given (attacking player was tripped after he got his shot away).

I was fuming.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I remember playing Fifa (the 2013 version I think) against a friend once and I had a player sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity despite the fact that a goal was scored and given (attacking player was tripped after he got his shot away).

I was fuming.
The programmer must have been a fan watching the 2006 Final who didn't know the rules. :tooth:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I haven't seen that game since, but thought at the time the referee spoiled it when he could possibly have given the goal and not sent him off.

Mrs Rooney are Vardy are living proof that it's a bad idea to make airheads think they're important. :tooth:
The way the rule used to be written didn't give the referee any leeway though. He had to stop the game immediately and send Lehmann off.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think the rules changed in the last couple of years; when we beat Celtic 4-1 at the end of last season Callum McGregor, on a yellow, halfed Kamara on the edge of the box. The ref allowed play to continue, Roofe put us 1-0 up, and then the ref went back and sent McGregor off.

Given how much Celtic and their fans love a moan about referees, I'd assumed that their lack of complaining meant that the referee had got that decision correct.

edit: or what GIMH said.

Uppercut

That does make a lot more sense, but IIRC it’s statistically better to have your opponent lose a player than to score a goal until some time into the second half. So it creates some scenarios where players should really be missing on purpose.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That does make a lot more sense, but IIRC it’s statistically better to have your opponent lose a player than to score a goal until some time into the second half. So it creates some scenarios where players should really be missing on purpose.
Not quite. If you missed it'd still be a yellow. Best bet would be to trip over your shoelaces before you get to the ball and the ref will likely pull play back and issue the red.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The way the rule used to be written didn't give the referee any leeway though. He had to stop the game immediately and send Lehmann off.
If the rule was that he had to go back to the red card no matter what then fair enough. But the fact that he hadn't had chance to stop the game before the ball was put in the net I believe might have given him other options.

In real news Swindon followed Northampton out of the play-offs, so with Crewe getting relegated all our other fellow Covid promoted sides are back and staying in League 2.
Nice nervy weekend coming up for Leeds and Burnley.