• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2022-2023 New Zealand First-Class Draft

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Vandem (2022 winner)
Ataraxia (2021 winner)
Chewie (2019 winner)
Prince EWS
NZT (yet to commit)
Bahnz
Straw Man
Flem274*
Athlai
Braai Guys

May 2022 - March 2023:

NZ vs. Sussex
NZ vs. First-Class Counties Select XI
NZ vs. England 1st
NZ vs. England 2nd
NZ vs. England 3rd

Plunket Shield (the October-November rounds will clash with the T20 World Cup in Australia)
NZ vs. Pakistan 1st (away, tbc)
NZ vs. Pakistan 2nd (away, tbc)

NZ A and NZ XI (must be official first-class games)
NZ vs. Sri Lanka 1st
NZ vs. Sri Lanka 2nd
NZ vs. England 1st
NZ vs. England 2nd

Bold
= 1.5x prestige multiplier on points.

The drafting order for the first 18-20 draft picks will be decided by bidding, using draft points like auction money. Unlike what was done last season, you can buy the first and second picks in the whole draft if your two bids are high enough, or be left with the 19th and 20th picks if your bids are low enough.

When the NZ squad to tour England is released, I'll send my two bids to James, then the rest of you will send a private message to me looking similar to this:

First bid: 50.3 pts (funky numbers trying to avoid ties will be permitted to one decimal place)
Second bid: 20.7 pts

This drafter's team would start on -71 draft points.

The remaining 70-80 players will be selected in September, using a randomised drafting order.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, would probably make having absolutely no bad luck with injuries the key to winning the draft.

Also CW is sort of (sadly) a middle-aged and casual normie discussion site now. When you get down to judging the 50th-best first-class player in NZ, there's only one or two posters who'd even be very familiar with the names.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Either lock in a max of 6 players and force people to team up for additional spots, or play one giant field imo. Two drafts is definitely the worst option

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah disagree, the thrill of finally having a good season and getting up to Div 1, then fighting tooth and claw to stay out of the relegation spot after that could actually be a whole lot more fun for you tbh.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Set up your own poll thread.
This wasn't said with hard feelings to it btw. Genuinely not sure if pairs and only having 50% control of compiling a team would go down well, so quite keen to see the results.

Flem274*

123/5
i think i know enough random ND club cricketers to fill out an 11 man team in an all in draft.

6 domestic sides of 11 + 20 NZ contracts = 86 names plus the inevitable mid-season call ups. to make it a bit easier we could include A team, Hawke Cup, under 19 and those terrible tour game NZ XIs to broaden the player base (with provincial A games earning half points perhaps).

the main challenge with a larger draft won't be people not wanting to pick someone but providing adequate resources to pick someone while out and about doing things. The NZC website used to be good at this but got real lazy, so I tend to go to the minor association websites who are pretty proud and will give you full squads. This means I can tell you Taranaki are running around with a stupid number of left arm orthodox spinners.

Including club cricket would be pretty funny actually. Dean Robinson might score more points at half value than some of my early round picks.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
including more cricket means someone has to go through and score more players which is a bit of a hassle

vandem

International 12th Man
Either 6 or 11 player teams, or 1 or 2 "divisions" is fine my me. 2 divisions a little more work for me as I am going to run the points this year, but is OK. But including A games I don't want, too much admin.

11 player teams x 9 selectors is OK, means you might want to look at A team scores from previous season for your last couple of picks. But if 11 player teams x 9 selectors we should allow a Christmas swap, allow optional drop of up to 2 players from your #7 - 11 picks with an unpicked player, in random picking order + reverse picking order. Means that a Randell or Toole or Wiggins type player that is getting regular a starting spot can be picked.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Christmas swap sounds like a good call, and it helps mitigate major injuries es/unforeseen retirements and picking a no name spud that sucks issues

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Either 6 or 11 player teams, or 1 or 2 "divisions" is fine my me. 2 divisions a little more work for me as I am going to run the points this year, but is OK. But including A games I don't want, too much admin.
Yes thanks for clarifying what you're up for in workload, Vandem. My view would be that we don't need to cede lots of ground. Second division was fine for yourself and a really clever poster like Straw Man just a couple of years ago.

ataraxia

International Coach
If we don't get more players I'd like one big draft. Could even chuck in Ford Trophy at half-value for players who play one or none FC games.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
One English import per team? They are going to be in five of the Tests with 1.5x points in them.

Because of some info in a message earlier in the week from Cribbage, I may finally get cracking (and stumping up the money) for my hidden gem NZ cricket forum and just leave this draft with its eight selectors, we'll see. Cribbage may have time to get our whole team selected by himself in and around his working week, probably not though.