• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Also-Rans" Test Draft

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I've been hanging out for another draft so I'm running one with the above title.

he (revised) rules are:

In Cricket Chat I have posted (or will have posted) the first 5 XIs based on Member's votes in the Batsmen, Pace bowlers, Spinners, All-Rounders and Wicketkeeper/batsmen threads. These 55 players are ineligible for this draft, leaving us with the "Also rans".

The usual draft rules apply with the odd numbered rounds decided by randomiser and the following even numbered rounds the reverse of the preceding odd round.

There will be a 12 hour limit for the first round with subsequent rounds having an 8 hour limit. Draft choices can be left with me if needed.

The ineligible players are: (Sehwag has an unassailable lead for the next spot in the openers voting. Based on the Batting list, Haydn would be next but there is a swing towards either B.Richards or Morris. We will wait until that spot is filled, then I'll post the draw and we can start)

First XISecond XIThird XIFourth XIFifth XI
HobbsGavaskarBoycottSimpsonSehwag
HuttonSutcliffeG.SmithGreenidge???
BradmanLaraHeadleySangakarraBarrington
TendulkarS.SmithG.ChappellG.PollockMiandad
RichardsHammondPontingBorderS.Waugh
SobersImran KhanKallisMillerBotham
GilchristKnottWatlingAmesS.Pollock
HadleeWarneWasim AkramLindwallHealy
MarshallLilleeTruemanHoldingDavidson
MuralitharanSteynDonaldLakerWaqar Younis
McGrathAmbroseO'ReillyGarnerGrimmett

I'm looking for 8-12 competitors. Who's in?

Last edited by a moderator:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Can we exclude all of them who got selected in the rankings? Then this draft will be truly an also-ran selection thread.

Else, I am afraid people will just choose the remaining players in those top 50/top 30 lists that we just ranked.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Can we exclude all of them who got selected in the rankings? Then this draft will be truly an also-ran selection thread.

Else, I am afraid people will just choose the remaining players in those top 50/top 30 lists that we just ranked.
I'll compromise. When the votes are in for the next 3 openers we will have five XIs to exclude. Also it is worth remembering that players like Grace, Barnes, Bedser etc missed out on these lists for one reason or another. Also players such as Sobers, Miller, Imran, Hadlee etc appear on more than one list.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Maybe we just need a large enough pool of players. Picking outside the top 30 spinners would be pretty grim. If we have 12 or so players, you'd have to compromise on something automatically.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
We now have the 4th XI added to our ineligible list.

Fourth XI

Simpson
Greenidge
Sangakarra
G.Pollock
Border
Miller
Ames
Lindwall
Holding
Laker
Garner

We have 8 nominated starters to date (assuming @CricAddict is an 'in'). As I posted earlier, we will have 5 XIs ineligible so, when the votes are in for the next Openers (Sehwag and Hayden were the remaining openers on the Top 50 list) we will declare nominations closed and release the draw.

Still room for more participants.

@Teuton

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
We now have the 4th XI added to our ineligible list.

Fourth XI

Simpson
Greenidge
Sangakarra
G.Pollock
Border
Miller
Ames
Lindwall
Holding
Laker
Garner

We have 8 nominated starters to date (assuming @CricAddict is an 'in'). As I posted earlier, we will have 5 XIs ineligible so, when the votes are in for the next Openers (Sehwag and Hayden were the remaining openers on the Top 50 list) we will declare nominations closed and release the draw.

Still room for more participants.

@Teuton
Yes I am in.