• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will this be England's worst ever 5-0 defeat in Australia?

Will this be England's worst ever 5-0 defeat in Australia?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but in 13/14 we had every right to expect more from the team. That mods than offsets the relative merits of the Aussie line up
Yeah I’m not really having this. It’s like when people at work try to use their own incompetence as an excuse.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah this talk is all well and good, but dat camera angle from behind 1st slip with Haddin back a pitch length and taking them above head high is everything

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Can I just throw in that the first 2-2½ tests of the 2006/7 whitewash were fairly competitive? I do remember that Collingwood and Pietersen had at least one really big partnership in the second test, before Australia raised the heat and England were then overwhelmed on day five.

Let me even suggest that that lot pit up more of a fight to slow down Australia claiming the ashes than the ot who toured in the 4-1 walloping the series before

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I don't think Brisbane was competitive but we obviously were at Adelaide. I think day five there knocked the stuffing out of us but we did bowl them out for what seemed a subpar total first up at Perth...but then we managed to go lower, Gilchrist destroyed us, and that was that (although I think Cook put a fight up?)

Spark

Global Moderator
Can I just throw in that the first 2-2½ tests of the 2006/7 whitewash were fairly competitive? I do remember that Collingwood and Pietersen had at least one really big partnership in the second test, before Australia raised the heat and England were then overwhelmed on day five.

Let me even suggest that that lot pit up more of a fight to slow down Australia claiming the ashes than the ot who toured in the 4-1 walloping the series before
Nah it was basically just two days at Adelaide. Worth remembering that Aus piled on a massive scored in response to England's first innings so they don't really get credit for the entire game either.

Kirkut

International Regular
Remember how Matt Prior who was a gun batsman in the early 2010s became mentally shot after Johnson bounced him off.

Not to forget how the impact went as far as Ishant Sharma getting 7fer at Lord's where England looked fragile against fast medium short pitched bowling on slower wickets.

sunilz

International Regular
Current Aussie side is better than 2013/14 one . But Ashes victory in 2013/14 was more impressive because of Johnson's nasty bowling.

I mean wasn't Harbhajan's 2001 series more impressive than any series of Kumble/Ashwin despite latter 2 being better bowlers.

sunilz

International Regular
How would combined 2013/14 and current Aussie side look like ? For common players in both sides use year in bracket which you would prefer ( For eg. Which Lyon is better 2013/14 or current one ?)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How would combined 2013/14 and current Aussie side look like ? For common players in both sides use year in bracket which you would prefer ( For eg. Which Lyon is better 2013/14 or current one ?)
Rogers
Warner (13/14)
Labuschagne
Smith (13/14)
Clarke*
Head
Haddin†
Johnson
Cummins
Harris
Lyon (13/14)

Maybe 1/4 of a bowler short, Watson bowled 47 overs for 4 wickets in 13/14.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I don't think you can justify a combined side not having an all-rounder as both sides viewed as critical to team balance. And honestly it's not like you're losing that much in the batting by slotting Watson in over Head, as good as he's been so far this series.

ashley bach

International Captain
It's really tough for England from here, and my feeling is without rain it will be 5-0.
However at the moment you can back Australia 5-0 @$3.00.
Probably not a bad price, but the value was getting on early @$8.00.
If a couple of batsman can step up a bit(not just Root and Malan) they may well be able to salvage a draw.
However to get these runs is one thing, but taking 20 wickets is another.
England to return home at the end of the summer without a win, feeling ragged and exhausted.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah it was basically just two days at Adelaide. Worth remembering that Aus piled on a massive scored in response to England's first innings so they don't really get credit for the entire game either.
Point taken. Still it felt like, that whitewash felt really tragic given how the England team weren't...awful

Current Aussie side is better than 2013/14 one . But Ashes victory in 2013/14 was more impressive because of Johnson's nasty bowling.

I mean wasn't Harbhajan's 2001 series more impressive than any series of Kumble/Ashwin despite latter 2 being better bowlers.
Also it wasn't so out of the blue.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You put Atherton, Stewart and Russell in this side and it improves dramatically despite their ages.
Look, Atherton was a walking wicket too McGrath. Squared up, facing down the wicket, edging to keeper/slips more times than I care to remember.

Yet... yet... He'd still be better than Rory Burns.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Point taken. Still it felt like, that whitewash felt really tragic given how the England team weren't...awful
We weren't an awful side in 2006/07, but we were weakened. No Trescothick or Vaughan didn't help. And they picked the wrong captain. Strauss was doing a perfectly fine job in the summer of 2006 whilst Flintoff was injured, and they should have stuck with him. Cook was very young; I think he'd been a test cricketer for less than a year before this series. Harmison was often dreadful away from home. And Australia were outstanding, of course. I said at the time that the most surprising thing about the 2006/07 whitewash was that it was the first time it had happened since the early 1920s, especially given the disparity between the sides throughout the 1990s and early 2000s.

Gob

International Coach
Rogers
Warner (13/14)
Labuschagne
Smith (13/14)
Clarke*
Head
Haddin†
Johnson
Cummins
Harris
Lyon (13/14)

Maybe 1/4 of a bowler short, Watson bowled 47 overs for 4 wickets in 13/14.
Nope. Maybe from the SA series few months later but not from that series. He wasn't even shuffling for half of that series