• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand in India Nov-Dec 2021 Thread***

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I think our chance of chasing this score today was approximately zero, because India could always fall back to defensive bowling and fields to make scoring very difficult. However there was value in playing shots and scoring runs to push India into that, which improves the chance of a draw.
Exactly.

Now they have complete freedom to attack which is not good for us.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't really agree. Both Shreyas Iyer and Will Young scored runs by punishing the bad balls.

Look I don't think we could have chased this anyway but I think it would have been good to put the bowlers under some pressure, particularly in the first innings but also e.g. from Ross Taylor today who was never going to be capable of just blocking things out.
All fair, but I think NZ are being calculated & backing themselves in the 2nd Test if they can save this one. We do have a history of improving after the 1st test in the subcontinent since we are quick learners, and think we'll see better selection and captaincy in the next. So I'm reluctant to criticize it too much.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can we repeat Chennai 2016 or Delhi 2015 ?
It wouldn't be any sort of surprising miracle in India won from here. I'd say odds-on if they can breakthrough in the first 2-3 overs.

As it is I have it 60% draw 40% Indian win.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
All fair, but I think NZ are being calculated & backing themselves in the 2nd Test if they can save this one. We do have a history of improving after the 1st test in the subcontinent since we are quick learners, and think we'll see better selection and captaincy in the next. So I'm reluctant to criticize it too much.
Except we haven't actually drawn this test yet, and now India has complete freedom with attacking field settings because we're no chance of chasing it.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Agreed, blocking vs spin never has worked for him. Would have been super useful if he got some quick runs.
Ross gave Kane a stand for 9 overs and lasted just long enough that his wicket wasn’t immediately consecutive to lathams
Had Ross definitely failed in his innings but he did get us to tea
And from tea we should be able to bat it out
Ross gets a two out of ten for his inning from me rather than a zero or one.