• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim Akram vs Dennis Lillee

Who was the greater bowler?

• Wasim Akram

Votes: 32 50.0%
  • Dennis Lillee

Votes: 32 50.0%

• Total voters

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Given that Zaheer Khan and Walsh are in the same ballpark, PFK probably has a point in comparing Zaheer and Lillee. Just need to find the right metrics with that goal in mind.
I may be taking this post out of context, but what ballpark are Khan and Walsh in together? Certainly not the one marked "fast bowling quality."

subshakerz

International Coach
Another sort of down mark for Wasim was that he wasnt the most destructive bowler out there. Rarely threatened to run through the opposition lineup. Only took 1 expensive 7-fer in a long career.

Kirkut

International Regular
Another sort of down mark for Wasim was that he wasnt the most destructive bowler out there. Rarely threatened to run through the opposition lineup. Only took 1 expensive 7-fer in a long career.
He was blockbuster in ODIs.

I clearly remember that spell he bowled at MCG in 1996 where he nearly defended 160 odd.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Not too many posts relating to the thread title. Can we conclude, from the voting here, Lillee>Wasim?
Based on how close the vote is, I’d say no. Most people probably don’t have them next to each other in their rankings but objectively thats probably where they should end up if we did a full CW opinion. Personally, I wouldn’t have a problem with any list that has either ahead of the other, I think they’re very comparable despite very different careers and would have both in my top 10, likely right next to each other.

Gob

International Coach
U wot? Lillee spent the first part of his career bowling outswing at about 90mph. He also bowled some brilliant spells on the MCG wicket in the early 80s which was as flat as any deck could get.
Looks as quick as Shoaib tbh

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Love young tear away Lillee highlights. There’s some good stuff of the ROW series out here when he wrecked them in Perth that’s crazy stuff. Sobers saying he walked out to bat and said to Ian Chappell “what are you all doing way back there?” a quality bit of banter

Gob

International Coach
It's worth noticing how different his action though with arms going all over the place. Not as drastic but Cummins was bit similar in the early days when his upper body seem to pivot a lot at the delivery stride. No wonder Lillee was one of Cummins's great mentors

Burgey

It’s probably what caused his stress fractures. When he came back his action and approach were a lot more controlled

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There are some guys who are best to coach the younger talent. Greg Chappell, Dennis Lillee etc. Hopefully Rahul Dravid does not belong in this list.

Kirkut

International Regular
Fun fact: Lillee was a pure cardio person, he enjoyed long runs and sprints. Never took interest in gym or weight training!

Burgey

Interesting

especially given the footage of him in the gym with Frank Pike as he rehabbed and strengthened his back using….. resistance training