• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The FINAL, Australia v New Zealand (THE BATTLE OF THE MITCHELLS) at the Ring of Fire, Dubai-- 11/14 Sunday (N)

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Well done Australia.
They were tight this tournament and all in it together. They banded together and came through as a team.
Well done kiwis that score would have won most finals

Victor Ian

International Coach
Well done Australia.
They were tight this tournament and all in it together. They banded together and came through as a team.
Well done kiwis that score would have won most finals
NZ deserve a lot of credit for Australia's win because I really think we were never beating England. It was a cruel fate for them.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Yeah I think the reason Guptill has struggled in 'big games' isn't the pressure; it's the fact that the good multi-format opening bowlers aren't rested in those. I think he's largely built a career in scoring big in JAMODIs against attacks missing their Test bowlers. I say "largely" because it's not uniformly true - it's a little harsh - but I think it explains his record better than anything else. I don't think he's a choker; he just has technical limitations.
this is a great analysis
But based on my cricket career as a premier division player I disagree with the last two words.
Martin guptills technique is good enough without any obvious faults save hard hands.
The gap between mediocre and the best is raw talent and batting intelligence.
Guptil often chooses to go into a shell which is not a technique issue. At the end of the day he just isn’t that good. He was selected for the Nz odi team despite not having a fc century at the time.
In my teenage years I was invited to all the Hamilton age group try outs as was one of the best players in my school. I would always miss out but be good enough to be considered. Finally I made it for the under 18s but was probably the last name on the team sheet.
The kids who were ranked higher had no better technique than me as I practiced maybe 30 hours a week. They were just better. More talented. Able to play shots I couldn’t. Able to attack bowlers I could only defend and stay in against.
Guptil when he first started used to have a bad back foot defence but he fixed that up. His technique is strong and is honed by county cricket time and the coaches in the black caps set up and personal tuition from Martin Crowe.
Your last two words should say talent limitations and not technique limitations imho

Flem274*

123/5
this is a great analysis
But based on my cricket career as a premier division player I disagree with the last two words.
Martin guptills technique is good enough without any obvious faults save hard hands.
The gap between mediocre and the best is raw talent and batting intelligence.
Guptil often chooses to go into a shell which is not a technique issue. At the end of the day he just isn’t that good. He was selected for the Nz odi team despite not having a fc century at the time.
In my teenage years I was invited to all the Hamilton age group try outs as was one of the best players in my school. I would always miss out but be good enough to be considered. Finally I made it for the under 18s but was probably the last name on the team sheet.
The kids who were ranked higher had no better technique than me as I practiced maybe 30 hours a week. They were just better. More talented. Able to play shots I couldn’t. Able to attack bowlers I could only defend and stay in against.
Guptil when he first started used to have a bad back foot defence but he fixed that up. His technique is strong and is honed by county cricket time and the coaches in the black caps set up and personal tuition from Martin Crowe.
Your last two words should say talent limitations and not technique limitations imho
Guptill has been coming forward to balls that will take the shoulder of the bat since day 1. It's an instinctive thing due to his development, as he is one of the last openers playing who spent their formative years in the slow domestic greentop era. He is a classic case of poor domestic pitches limiting talented batsmen.

Knowing what we know now, I suspect turning out for Derbyshire in County Division 2 only strengthened this instinct.

Also backing up your opinion with your Hamilton Premier claim is...interesting.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love the fact that most people still commenting in here now are NZ fans or neutrals with very few Aus posters still in the thread, because let's face it we've moved on as winning WC finals is just what we do.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Guptill has been coming forward to balls that will take the shoulder of the bat since day 1. It's an instinctive thing due to his development, as he is one of the last openers playing who spent their formative years in the slow domestic greentop era. He is a classic case of poor domestic pitches limiting talented batsmen.

Knowing what we know now, I suspect turning out for Derbyshire in County Division 2 only strengthened this instinct.

Also backing up your opinion with your Hamilton Premier claim is...interesting.
I played senior A cricket in Hamilton as an 18 year old which is the reserve grade to Prems
I played premier grade in an associate country Canada. The standard would be like Hazlet instead of Pearce cup in welllington.
Nonetheless it was a semi professional league with 5 or 6 of the best players paid to play on contracts.