• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Sri Lanka, November/December 2021

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Schedule:
  • Nov 14-17 - Warm-up match, Colombo
  • Nov 21-25 - 1st Test, Galle
  • Nov 29-Dec 3 - 2nd Test Galle

West Indies squad: West Indies call up Jeremy Solozano for Test tour of Sri Lanka

Kraigg Brathwaite (capt), Jermaine Blackwood (vice-capt), Nkrumah Bonner, Roston Chase, Rahkeem Cornwall, Joshua Da Silva, Shannon Gabriel, Jason Holder, Shai Hope, Kyle Mayers, Veerasammy Permaul, Kemar Roach, Jayden Seales, Jeremy Solozano, Jomel Warrican

Sri Lanka squad: Not announced yet

Beamer

More pain may well await, but it is good to see the test team continue to get some exposure. Usual scenario with us, very good seam bowling, decent spin options (in Asia at least) and laughable batting.

Big news is that the latest opener to get thrown into the deep end is Jeremy Solozano. He averages 23 in FC cricket..... though had a decent last FC tournament, did well for the A team and was prolific at Under 19 level 8 years ago.

Not ideal but at least it's not Kieron Powell, Devon Smith or John Campbell. Though with that sort of track record in FC cricket, I think it very unlikely he'll suceed. Let's see how he does.

Shai Hope returns yet again after a few centuries in warm up matches. At least he has a clear mandate to bat at 4 this time. I am praying for a miracle that he finally gets test batting, but again, the evidence is against him.

Looking forward to seeing how Jayden Seales does against the weakest side he has encountered so far, albeit in very different conditions. Shannon Gabriel is also back, but he cannot play at the expense of Jayden.

Flem274*

123/5
November is a decent time to bowl pace in SL. It can hoop.

WI should export some batsmen to NZ or Aus FC to get some better decks to learn on imo.

Slifer

International Captain

WI should export some batsmen to NZ or Aus FC to get some better decks to learn on imo.
Or have some pride and put in some work in the nets like the old days. I think a lot of the batsmen especially, are more focused on t20 and the wham bam bat for a few minutes and make a bunch of money. That's all good and well, but it's not what's going to cut it in tests.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Or have some pride and put in some work in the nets like the old days. I think a lot of the batsmen especially, are more focused on t20 and the wham bam bat for a few minutes and make a bunch of money. That's all good and well, but it's not what's going to cut it in tests.
I really hope this changes with Shiv Chanderpaul moving on up in his coaching capacity. He's been with the Guyana Jaguars setup for a while and we've seen some of our batsmen playing in the manner of a good ole FC fashion...

Slifer

International Captain
I really hope this changes with Shiv Chanderpaul moving on up in his coaching capacity. He's been with the Guyana Jaguars setup for a while and we've seen some of our batsmen playing in the manner of a good ole FC fashion...
Perfect example of a west Indian willing to put in the hard yards. Perhaps can criticize Shiv all they want but we could well do with a few Chanderpauls right now.

Isura

U19 Captain

WI cricket should also consider you know, preparing decent pitches at home.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

November is good time to do some fishing . . . . on the ground that is . . . .

Himannv

International Coach
Yeah, we've been having heavy rains here so far with no signs of things slowing down. Hard to say if we'd get to see much cricket.

Beamer

Yeah, we've been having heavy rains here so far with no signs of things slowing down. Hard to say if we'd get to see much cricket.
So SL is also suffering from the cricket calendar and proliferation of Domestic T20's forcing home series into months that are highly likely to be affected by rain?

Beamer

Would have took Joseph and Powell ahead of Solozano and Gabriel.
Powell has had enough chances. So I strongly disagree there.

Shannon needs to prove he can last a series. THere are too many pacers knocking on the door to keep playing him if his fitness issues continue.

SillyCowCorner1

Shannon needs to prove he can last a series. THere are too many pacers knocking on the door to keep playing him if his fitness issues continue.
I don't think Gabriel would last this entire series. Although, he's got a good record against SL.

Himannv

International Coach
So SL is also suffering from the cricket calendar and proliferation of Domestic T20's forcing home series into months that are highly likely to be affected by rain?
Honestly, I don't think the domestic games have much to do with it and factors like COVID probably had an impact this year. I'd say the monsoon isn't too bad between December and May so those are probably the months to target ideally if you want to schedule a cricket match. But really, the rain isn't very predictable here (or perhaps our met department is ****, I don't know) and we have more rain than expected at times and less than expected during other times. The monsoon affects different areas of the country during different times of the year, but it's really an all year thing and it's what gives us all the insufferable humidity all the time.

Last edited:

WICFan

U19 Captain

Powell has experience of playing cricket in Sri Lanka, these best v best games are no replacement to the domestic FC Tournament and it's a must that it returns for next season.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly, I don't think the domestic games have much to do with it and factors like COVID probably had an impact this year. I'd say the monsoon isn't too bad between December and May so those are probably the months to target ideally if you want to schedule a cricket match. But really, the rain isn't very predictable here (or perhaps out met department is ****, I don't know) and we have more rain than expected at times and less than expected during other times. The monsoon affects different areas of the country during different times of the year, but it's really an all year thing and it's what gives us all the insufferable humidity all the time.
The actual truth . . .

SillyCowCorner1

I'm gonna go with this team for the first test:

1. Kraigg (c)
2. Solozano
3. Bonner
4. Hope
5. Chase/Mayers
6. Blackwood
7. Holder
8. Joshua (+)