• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Perry average vs Men in Tests

Jack1

International Debutant
Perry slots in at preferred position (4) for Australia for 50 tests in the next 5 years (and doesn't get injured). Labuschange and Smith can decide between them who bats 3 and 5, they can alternate if necessary. Average prediction?

For reference: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/9494247.stm

Flem274*

123/5
not much, but more than she would if you move her career 10 years prior.

after watching the nz seamers A-Z on youtube im convinced a lot of those 1930s medium pacers are fortunate we can't time travel the best modern womens players back to their era because sophie devine would bomb them with ease, and devine is no perry.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I genuinely wonder what level of men’s cricket the elite female international cricketers would slot in to.

Red

I doubt a woman would ever compete with men as a quick bowler or batsman due to strength, but it’ll be interesting one day if a female spinner was dominating at elite woman’s level.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I doubt a woman would ever compete with men as a quick bowler or batsman due to strength, but it’ll be interesting one day if a female spinner was dominating at elite woman’s level.
Things female cricketer could do as well as men is wicket keeping and batting. Spin bowling won't be good enough because they are way too slow through air. You need to hit 85 - 90k in average to trouble batsman as a spinner (slower and faster variations excluded). (I have bowled off breaks to some club level batswomen back in home, and even at ripe age of 45 with withering knees due to multiple ACL tears, I was troubling them with pace). However, females are same level as men with reflexes. So keeping would be equal or probably better due to shorter height of females. You don't need to be very strong to excel as a test batsman as well. A sedate batter who could occupy crease for long times probably is the best role.

Red

Things female cricketer could do as well as men is wicket keeping and batting. Spin bowling won't be good enough because they are way too slow through air. You need to hit 85 - 90k in average to trouble batsman as a spinner (slower and faster variations excluded). (I have bowled off breaks to some club level batswomen back in home, and even at ripe age of 45 with withering knees due to multiple ACL tears, I was troubling them with pace). However, females are same level as men with reflexes. So keeping would be equal or probably better due to shorter height of females.
You don’t make any sense. Why would 85km spin bowling trouble female elite batsmen particularly?

And anyway, my point is a female spinner could be good enough to compete in test cricket, potentially.

And finally, female’s reflexes are clearly not the “same level” as men’s. That’s basic biology.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My young bloke's club has an under 24s side which played a trial on the weekend vs Penrith women's first grade side. Match was set up on the basis the blokes couldn't bowl their quicks and had certain other limitations placed on them.

The blokes' side played a development squad of really young kids - didn't put up any of the blokes who would normally play in the under 24s first XI. They did that on the not unreasonable basis that if they all played but couldn't bowl and bat as per usual (they had to retire at 30 odd) and had limitations placed on them but lost, the outcome of the game would certainly not include a reference to the fact it was set up so the blokes could not play as usual.

The development side rolled the women's team for 70. I don't know how strong Penrith women's team is overall, but they wanted to bat out their overs and ended up making 14/ 107 from 30 overs. The blokes side, which included mostly kids made 184 from their 30 overs, with a number of blokes retiring.

Make of that what you will I guess.

Edit: apologies, they played one 1st XI player, the skipper. Rest of the side was 16-20 yo.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Grade level. Second or thirds Maybe ones in a weaker club.
Sounds about right. The very best women cricketers in the world might be able to hold their own in Grade 1s on a very good day

Part of me thinks this is still being a bit generous

Burgey

Yeah I think the skill levels are high enough but the pace at which things are done is obviously a fair bit slower. When Burgeinho was playing Greenies, a young girl who's since gone onto play WBBL for the Sixers and has now moved to Tassie to look for FC opportunities was bowling and fielding at a centre wicket session with the boys and she routinely threw down the stumps - as much as the State boys player we had tbh - but her arm was nowhere near as strong as most of the lads. Likewise her bowling - she shaped the ball really well and hit good areas. but her pace just didn't trouble them.

TBF they were an exceptional side though. Went through undefeated and won it pretty easily.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I genuinely wonder what level of men’s cricket the elite female international cricketers would slot in to.
Not very high. Football is far ahead of cricket as far as women’s sports goes and they get absolutely humiliated in friendlies by college and lower (U16) teams.

Cricket there’s the added point re pace bowling. Men are a good few 20-30+ clicks ahead, if not more.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
not much, but more than she would if you move her career 10 years prior.

after watching the nz seamers A-Z on youtube im convinced a lot of those 1930s medium pacers are fortunate we can't time travel the best modern womens players back to their era because sophie devine would bomb them with ease, and devine is no perry.
I think you underestimate the difficulty on hitting that sort of bowling on uncovered pitches and with the bats of the time. Many of those medium pacers would have been bowling around the same speed as the faster women's bowlers today.

Gob

International Coach
This reminds me of a chat I had with a female co worker (she was a bit of a feminist) where I was working. I tried to explain how everything in most male sports happen at a greater speed and involves greater strength hence the male game is bit more advanced. She refused to get the point claiming that the skill set required was even which wasn't what I was arguing about. I cited many examples from cricket. She ended up calling me a ***ist in the end

TheJediBrah

This reminds me of a chat I had with a female co worker (she was a bit of a feminist) where I was working. I tried to explain how everything in most male sports happen at a greater speed and involves greater strength hence the male game is bit more advanced. She refused to get the point claiming that the skill set required was even which wasn't what I was arguing about. I cited many examples from cricket. She ended up calling me a ***ist in the end
I don't get that point of view. If people really think there is no physical difference between men and women (even in non-contact sports) then why do they think the sports are separated by gender?