• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Morgan does look quite old when he's batting these days. Basically jogs everything betwen the wickets. Has had back issues and does move gingerly.

Puts a lot of pressure on his boundary hitting (and that of his partner) if you aren't pushing the quick 1s and 2s.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Stokes' absence probably means that England are either (1) playing Buttler at 6, followed by Curran, Robinson, Broad, Anderson & Leach and having to choose between Pope and Lawrence at 5, or (2) playing Buttler at 7 behind Pope and Lawrence with Curran missing out.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Stokes' absence probably means that England are either (1) playing Buttler at 6, followed by Curran, Robinson, Broad, Anderson & Leach and having to choose between Pope and Lawrence at 5, or (2) playing Buttler at 7 behind Pope and Lawrence with Curran missing out.
Think this is about right. I'd guess they'll go for option 1, if only because they lost vs New Zealand with the option 2 structure (although I'm sure we'd have lost that series whichever team we'd put out).

Presuming Burns/Sibley/Crawley are still the top 3 to start the series at least. Whether they're still the top 3 by the end could depend on how they fare....

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Pope it out of the first test aswell apparently. So can't play both.

Flem274*

123/5
pope is out too?

lawrence gotta play then, and just pray he survives his first few overs while he gets in. im not an expert on your #3 options by any means. probs just ask bairstow to do it and pretend it's an odi.

there's no real obvious options tbh and the selectors will get roasted if england lose no matter what they choose. i think the batting crisis means you must play anderson and broad every match. across a long series both will have at least one meme spell each and england will really need it.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow, he really must have absolutely crocked it, it's becoming like Cummins' back was six or so years ago.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year

Archer already ruled out of world t20s and the ashes.

Real blow for the world t20s where we have a legitimate chance and he is a key player. Not so much the ashes where we don't have a legitimate chance.
Sad news. Agree with you that the biggest short term impact is on our T20 WC chances, but this series of apparently connected injuries doesn't bode well for his longer term Test prospects.

Usually you want your best players to prioritise Tests but you couldn't blame him if he decides he's content with being a gun white ball player after this and tempers his Test ambitions if it'd mean less injuries.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Here's a cheery thought, following discussions elsewhere about the declining standard of players coming through our domestic system.

In the ten years since we hit the top of the rankings, this is probably the best side we could raise from the players who debuted.
1, 2 & 3 - nfi
4. Root
5. Stokes
6 - nfi
7 - Bairstow or Buttler
8 - Moeen
9 - Woakes
10 - Robinson (after one and a half tests)
11 - Archer
Plus Leach instead of one of the quicks if we're playing two spinners

A similar exercise for the previous ten years would come up with the guys that took us to number 1 in 2011:
Strauss, Cook, Trott, KP, Bell, Collingwood, Prior, Swann, Broad, Anderson and Tremlett/Bresnan/Finn/Panesar (depends on conditions).
And that's ignoring Simon Jones and Harmison. Hoggard first played in 2000.

Something appears to have gone wrong somewhere along the way.

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably heresy to discuss the national T20 team in the middle of a high profile Test series, but reading the previews for the Hundred eliminator tonight I wonder if latest red ball call up Malan might find his World T20 starting spot in jeopardy? Seems he's scored a decent amount of runs but at one of the lowest strike rates for any batsman in the tournament. Meanwhile Livingstone tops the run charts with a crazy strike rate to boot. (Malan: 200 runs, avg 28.57, strike rate 119.04; Livingstone 302 runs, avg 60.4, strike rate 171.59.)

Malan is playing tonight and Livingstone is already through to tomorrow's final so that narrative could yet change, but with the ECB putting so much emphasis on The Hundred you'd expect it to hold some weight in selection (obviously Livingstone blasting England's fastest ever international century earlier in the summer won't hurt him either).

Jack1

International Debutant
One things for sure. Batting Livingstone at 7 against Pakistan was criminal. You can’t bat him lower than 5 the way he is playing and he has to play now. I would suggest batting him 4 below Malan in the World Cup, I can’t justify batting Bairstow, Ali or Morgan above Livingstone currently . Concerning Malan, he’s been struggling for a long time domestically - he is top of the t20i batting rankings though.

Jack1

International Debutant

After thinking and looking at stats I suppose England ought to pick Jordan and Mills in their team for the T20I CWC. That covers the death overs. You then have Rashid. Ali is a bowling option . Livingstone can also bowl. Leaving room for one seamer, would probably pick Sam Curran considering his batting. Jordan, Mills and Rashid always bowl out. Then 8 overs from the other 3. Struggling to see a side with a better balance to it than this considering form and injuries.

Hales won’t get picked, so
1. Roy
2. Buttler
3. Malan
4. Livingstone
5. Morgan
6. Bairstow
7. Ali
8. Sam Curran
9. Jordan
10. Rashid
11. Mills