• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Catch drops/ Missed stumpings that might have resulted in Series loss

sunilz

International Regular
1. Hussey drop of Steyn 2008

2. Paine drop of Pant 2021

3. Healy missed catch of Lara 1999

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Healy's was in a drawn series. As was Marcuss Harris' drop of the violent thug in the last Ashes. Certainly two important chances though.

Carlton Baugh dropping Steve Waugh 1995 was crucial. As was Herschelle Gibbs' in the 99 WC.

Burgey

I don't know if that was a stumping, so much as a ball which just rolled along the deck and beat everyone?

That was a series which I really wish had been telecast here. There was no live TV coverage of it iirc, which was a shame because that was an epic test and it was also Taylor's first series as skipper. Big moment for Mr baby New Potato Head getting that last wicket partnership over the line for Pakistan.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Kohli dropped McCullum on 9 in his 301, which would have certainly ensured the series was tied.

Another favourite was Marlon Samuels dropping Guptill third ball of the 2015 QF.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm trying to remember who Thorpe dropped at Headingley in 1997. Maybe Elliott who went on to make a massive hundred, maybe a double. The series was tied at one all at the time, and Australia had lost four quick wickets in response to England's admittedly low first innings score. A game that could have gone either way ended up an easy win for Australia.

TheJediBrah

There are many hundreds of moments in every game that could have gone another way, any one of which in isolation could have theoretically chanced a series result. Kind of makes the whole exercise rather pointless when you think about it.

For every "Gibbs '99 WC drop" there are probably dozens of (lower profile) errors from either side that same game that could have had the same effect either way.

morgieb

I'm trying to remember who Thorpe dropped at Headingley in 1997. Maybe Elliott who went on to make a massive hundred, maybe a double. The series was tied at one all at the time, and Australia had lost four quick wickets in response to England's admittedly low first innings score. A game that could have gone either way ended up an easy win for Australia.
Yeah I think it was Elliott that was dropped early in that Test. And yes, Warne dropped Pietersen on 15 (and I think there was another drop before that?) He as everyone knows scored 158.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I remember the Thorpe drop primarily because it deprived the less than Test class bowler Mike Smith of what would have been his only Test wicket. The fact that he even has a cap is baffling.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If memory serves, Smith replaced Caddick, who had bowled poorly in the previous test. Caddick, of course, was always capable of extremes, and conditions at Headingley would have suited him to a tee.

Shady Slim

International Coach
moises henriques in the Brett Lee Game bbl final against the scorchers where bbl legend yasir arafat hit the winning runs

OverratedSanity

-McCullum dropped by Kohli and ishant early in his 302.

- Ponting dropped by Giles (I think) at Adelaide 06. Would've probably been spanked in the series anyway though.

-Tendulkar dropped by Pakistan (assorted) in 2011 wc sf

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah I think it was Elliott that was dropped early in that Test. And yes, Warne dropped Pietersen on 15 (and I think there was another drop before that?) He as everyone knows scored 158.
Think Hayden had put him down off Warne earlier on, yeah