• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
In a recent interview, Mignon du Preez said that she would love to see Wolvaardt play tests. I definitely agree with that as she looks like the type of player who would do well in the longer format. But she's still young, so she could get the opportunity if the women's game progresses to the point where tests become a regular thing.

SeamUp

International Coach
Also it is a standards thing. We can't leave Aiden out anytime soon if we keep Bavuma because he technically has a lot of cushion still left.

I just want to see KP, Van Tonder and Verreynne now.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
If all the other batsmen were performing then I might be able to grudgingly accept Bavuma's inclusion looking at the bigger picture. But right now we can't afford to carry him if we want to be genuinely competitive.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly I am tired of the entire batting line-up at the moment. However you want to cut it even Faf and Elgar are only 40ish avg players. It is forcing us to play batsmen out of position, like the consistent ****ing around with QDK who really should be batting 6/7 in a decent Test line-up. We consistently keep picking journey man cricketers due to 'experience' when we actually have plenty of young talent. I would much rather us not score 200 with 4 debutants batting than carry on with this ****.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
You have Markram averaging 10 in Asia, Faf almost sub 20, de Kock less than 30 at 5, a perpetually iffy van der Dussen at 3 and Bavuma at 6 who struggles to get into the twenties. It isn't very good, and I doubt it will be very different for the Australian series.

Bahseph

State Captain
This is why I brought up the point about Mulder + Linde. Working within the confines of the squad I don't see how much more value Ngidi adds than Mulder when we do have the above mentioned issues with the batting. If they aren't going to take a bold step and move forward with young talent then be pragmatic.

SeamUp

International Coach
Am I being a dick by saying our modern highveld batsman (who seem to be scoring most of our domestic runs) have no real ground work against spin ?

Maybe we should also ask why are our coastal batsmen are not progressing to bring more balance ?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Am I being a dick by saying our modern highveld batsman (who seem to be scoring most of our domestic runs) have no real ground work against spin ?

Maybe we should also ask why are our coastal batsmen are not progressing to bring more balance ?
I still think Hamza was not treated well... I know he has gone off the boil, but he is a quality player.

And can somebody explain why QDK is captain, if Faf is doing all the pep talks? It is not because QDK is brilliant in front of the camera! Is it to try simplify DRS decisions?

SeamUp

International Coach
I still think Hamza was not treated well... I know he has gone off the boil, but he is a quality player.

And can somebody explain why QDK is captain, if Faf is doing all the pep talks? It is not because QDK is brilliant in front of the camera! Is it to try simplify DRS decisions?
Both him and Stiaan were poorly treated.

Got to hope he gains his resolve to start scoring runs again.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Bavuma is not a test match batsmen. It's sad seeing him struggle like this let him go back to domestic cricket and get his confidence back. As things stand, we don't have a top 6 capable of consistent runs.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Both him and Stiaan were poorly treated.

Got to hope he gains his resolve to start scoring runs again.
Stiaan was not treated well. But he was in and out because we largely had a settled batting lineup with a few injuries and Duminy problem.

Hamza was picked played 4 games and has been summarily dismissed in a batting line that had no consistent run scorers.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Averages in the sub-continent for SA. Obviously includes some early Bangladesh series.
We also need to be honest. We had Kallis for 15 years. And a brilliant 2003 to 2010 class that was always going to be difficult to replace.

Not that they are actually trying to replace?!

Reactions: vcs

SeamUp

International Coach
We also need to be honest. We had Kallis for 15 years. And a brilliant 2003 to 2010 class that was always going to be difficult to replace.

Not that they are actually trying to replace?!
Very much so but even before then we were very competitive in the sub-continent so something somewhere has gone wrong in recent years.

We beat in India in India, beat Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka and beat Pakistan in Pakistan from 1993 to 2000

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think SA's 90s batsmen were pretty average against spin (see their struggles against Warne) but Donald/Pollock kept them in it and Kirsten was pretty good and guys like Symcox would always chip in. Class of 2010 lineup (Smith/Amla/Kallis/De Villiers) was an ATG batting lineup across conditions though.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. We don’t have the batting in the tail we had in the 90’s. I do think we have better depth in bowling quality now.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think SA's 90s batsmen were pretty average against spin (see their struggles against Warne) but Donald/Pollock kept them in it and Kirsten was pretty good and guys like Symcox would always chip in. Class of 2010 lineup (Smith/Amla/Kallis/De Villiers) was an ATG batting lineup across conditions though.
Gary & Daryl were by far our best batsmen and pretty adaptable. McMillan basically averaged 40 too which was nothing to sneeze at in the period.

Think the decade started with us giving some hardened pro's like Cook, P.Kirsten, Wessels & Hudson goes and by the end of the decade Gibbs & Kallis were fairly decent addition to Gary/Daryl.

Even Hansie/Jonty they were far better than a lot of the batsmen we've tried over the years so it was always able to do enough with the class of our bowling & depth of batting.

Reactions: vcs