• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
as I was doing research last night for something else, I was shocked to learn Zampa had a shield season where he took 30 odd wickets at just under 40. I had no memory of that
Bet it was awhile ago 2014/15?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So the tour to SA coming soon, presume they will do the usual daft thing of dropping Lyon to play an all pace attack for at least one test and not playing a spinner then realise it was a mistake. Surely Wade will be dropped and Paine probably too but that leaves the question of a new captain and no options bar the controversial ones from the last SA tour. No idea who gets picked but changes will have to be made.

Gnske

Another Doherty / Lyon moment would be the absolute cherry on top and I want it to happen.

social

Swepson's really impressed me in the past season and a half of Shield cricket after initially not really rating him at all, but in terms of handling pressure he really lost his action a few times against India (both in the white ball stuff and the Aus A four day game he played).

But... this is why we just can't afford to drop Lyon. As I said in the other thread, averaging early 30s isn't really good enough to hold your spot as a Test batsman in a strong team, but Zimbabwe don't drop such players because they know they don't have better blokes waiting in the wings. Lyon has been way below his best at late but I think he's still better than Swepson and he's still comfortably better than anyone else.

I'd back him to still outperform Zampa even if we had to flip a coin every time he took a wicket to see if it counted or not.
Lyon has comfortably outperformed my expectations as I don’t rate offies in Australia at all

He is easily the best spinner in the country

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Wade, Head, Khawaja, S Marsh and Patterson are all capable of batting at five in Test cricket but none of them are fantastic options right now.

I've been a big Wade advocate but his dismissals in the last two Tests were unforgivable. Patterson is probably the best option considering ability and age but he has been poor in the Shield since his Test breakthrough so I'm on the fence. Are there any practice games before the first RSA Test?

I would give Paine one more series. His batting is trending in the right direction and he made a big difference in Adelaide. He'll never be Gilchrist but then neither will Carey. I'd like to see Cummins take over the captaincy from Paine in the medium term.

Lyon is still the best spinner in the country. Starc was never a better bowler than Pattinson, which is the one change I'm certain needs to be made.

Pucovski and Warner to open, of course.

Spikey

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year

Gob

International Coach
Nah, we lost to India's third XI at home. Heads should roll

Warner
Pukovski
Labuschagne
Smith
Patterson
Green
Carey +
Pattinson
Cummins
OKeefe
Hazelwood

Waiting for Renshaw to dominate a season of SS so we can bring him in. Renshaw and Kurt Patterson becoming very good test cricketers is something I still believe in.
Please leave

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm a big fan of Moises so maybe a tad biased, but surely he deserves a look in? Excellent form in the Sheffield Shield, looked composed in the ODI's/T20 and just his overall demeanour and clarity of thought when batting looks notches ahead of Head/Wade

Patterson as well should definitely come back into the equation, maybe Renshaw if he starts to find some form

Spikey

I'm a big fan of Moises so maybe a tad biased, but surely he deserves a look in? Excellent form in the Sheffield Shield, looked composed in the ODI's/T20 and just his overall demeanour and clarity of thought when batting looks notches ahead of Head/Wade

Patterson as well should definitely come back into the equation, maybe Renshaw if he starts to find some form
Australia's recent history of picking players who average 35 in the shield and turning them into test cricketers is not, uh, good

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I mean the fact that he was in the squad suggests they might actually do this, but his inclusion was kind of weird (he was added as cover for Abbott of all people) so I'm not sure if he was actually in the squad as a batsman or what.

social

Pucovski is a rare talent but has a problem with the short ball

Needs to look at Steve Waugh

Saffers have some quick bowlers but they aren’t particularly good while Rabada is out

SL made a big score against them recently on a green top where they should have been rolled for under 150

Spikey

He ended up replacing Joe Burns when he left the squad after the 2nd test. I think when they decided to pick Green they realised they needed concussion cover for Green (if he got hit in a game), so Moz 'covered' Abbott but really, he was there for Green imo

Gnske

Green's bowling arm was clearly concussed and useless so I'm confused why he wasn't deployed as an emergency power surge.

Gob

International Coach
Kurtis Patterson chose the worst possible time to be out of form. Travis Head for me is number 5. He obviously did not develop the way I would have expected (marnus is behind him in the pecking order not that long ago) but he is just turned 27 there are enough signs there that he can cut at this level and average atleast in the low 40s and that's all it takes.

Plus he is captaincy material. I don't personally advocate Cummins because I don't think fast bowlers should be captain. They have the most vigorous job in the game and are most likely to be injured. Smith should never be considered to be captain and even if they did, SA is the last place of hand him the mantle. Ideally you'd like Marnus to be the next captain but I have no ****ing clue about his captaincy credentials. (I'm not doubting him I just don't know)

When you think about it, Warner may not actually the worst option after all not that he is going to get it. I don't even remember the point I was going to make here anyway ah yes number 5..give Travis more time