• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wasn't there an Ashes series (maybe 17/18?) when Renshaw was dropped and cast aside for some nondescript reason? Or maybe Langer thought he didn't have the temperament or maturity for a series of that magnitude, but not sure

There was that infamous dropping in India when Renshaw was put in at short leg and subsequently ruled out the tour when he got hit
Renshaw got dropped from the Test team due to poor domestic form despite comfortably justifying his place while he was in the Test side itself. Aside from a one-off recall right after sandpapergate he never got back in due to always finding a way to suck at the start of the Shield season when there was a spot up for grabs.

His consistently meh (at best) Shield returns do tend to suggest he might not have kicked on in Tests, but you never know what a bit of faith and confidence might have done. He's moved down to 5 this season for Queensland - he made a big ton but it's only been one score after a prolonged period of crap. Hopefully he makes that spot his own and gets another shot for Aus, but I wouldn't be recalling him based on one knock, or what he did in Tests four years ago.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Joe Burns can score a 50 against an elite Indian side while in the worst form of his life imagine what he can do while in the most middling form of his life.

I am ready to get hurt again by him personally.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the problem with making such a popular figure like Langer as coach is that they're not gonna sack him unless things really go downhill. You sack him and all the other legends who have spent the past 2 years sucking him off for the great job he's done will tear CA to shreds

So unless there's problems in the dressing room, he'll have a long leash imo

Burgey

JRich has to go to SA barring injury and should start ahead of Starc and Patto tbh. He’s better than both. I don’t care if he can’t throw, Courtney Walsh took 519 test wickets bowling it in from the boundary

Warner
Khawaja/ Pucovski
Marnus
Smith
Pucovski/ Head
Green
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
J Richardson
Hazlewood

Obviously disappointing going back to the pillow but it would be good for a giggle to see Langer cop some humble pie.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who is likelier to have more friends though, Tim Paine or the Brown Nosed Goblin?

I bet there's some ill juice being mulched in the rooms against one or the other by now.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think Paine will survive due to lack of alternatives - I'm not really not a big fan of his tactics though

I imagine theyll look to experiment with Patto finally starting in the XI - You can't justify a 'left hander for footmarks' if he's spraying it everywhere

Obviously Wade will never play tests again
Also doesn't help if said left armer bowls around the wicket half the time and never ends up creating any of those footmarks

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
JRich has to go to SA barring injury and should start ahead of Starc and Patto tbh. He’s better than both. I don’t care if he can’t throw, Courtney Walsh took 519 test wickets bowling it in from the boundary
I suppose he can always concuss his hammy if he's feeling the pinch.

Spikey

Who is likelier to have more friends though, Tim Paine or the Brown Nosed Goblin?

I bet there's some ill juice being mulched in the rooms against one or the other by now.
let's be real: Ricky Ponting is the power broker here. If he turns on one of them, they're gone

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Premature to call that on the back of Big Bash form, as good as it has been. Needs to show he can sustain it over the course of an entire FC game first