• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Unpopular take

Pujara’s innings was awful and nothing to do with strike rate

It was a text book example of how not to play short pitched bowling

His innings laid the foundation for the win but it was down to luck not management
Pujara has been the rock of the present team in this series ;ugly he might have looked about it yet has played an unparalleled role which couldn't have been justified by any other batsman in the world.

James

Cricket Web Owner
How much do you guys believe Covid and the lockdowns/restrictions, etc factored into the series result? I'm wondering whether some of the players poor performances (Starc, Wade as an example) were caused by mental health factors, family health, training considerations, etc. Obviously India suffered so many injuries, but you could perhaps say that kept them fresh and hungry each Test with new players coming in giving their all. The Australian bowling lineup except Cummins seemed out of gas today to me. With the Ashes later in the year, could show the Aussies need to do some rotation with their bowlers.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How much do you guys believe Covid and the lockdowns/restrictions, etc factored into the series result? I'm wondering whether some of the players poor performances (Starc, Wade as an example) were caused by mental health factors, family health, training considerations, etc. Obviously India suffered so many injuries, but you could perhaps say that kept them fresh and hungry each Test with new players coming in giving their all. The Australian bowling lineup except Cummins seemed out of gas today to me. With the Ashes later in the year, could show the Aussies need to do some rotation with their bowlers.
Well in theory it should have hurt India a lot more, not only being much further from home/friends/family but having to call-up net bowlers and one day cricketers for the last Test instead of the blokes they probably would have played if they could've flown in reinforcements.

Worked out for them anyway though. Maybe if they played their actual A bowlers they would've lost. :laugh:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Playing for a rump state would wear anyone out.

Quick singles decided the series, and Matthew Wade splooging himself at almost every opportunity

James

Cricket Web Owner
I don’t think anyone will ever know the answer to that. I mean, Siraj lost his old man and couldn’t get home to him but still played well, as an example. Such an individual thing.
I think more will come out about it in the coming months as teams and players reflect about playing sport in this Covid bubble and maybe even some players will say they can't face the South African series for health reasons. I just don't recall this Australian team playing so poorly in home conditions and not looking as hungry as they usually are - seemed almost deer caught in headlights today (not trying to take anything away from India).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Might be like an NRL thing. Some sides bonded really well in the bubble like penrith, and other struggled with it

Tbf being stuck in a bubble of utter **** is better than being free to move around in Penrith, but the point stands

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
The more I think about this test, the more I am perplexed. How on earth did India win this game? It just doesn't make sense.
Because, as Headingley 2019 showed, put Australia into tight situation and they wilt. I saw comments I think here and on Cricinfo along the lines of, "The Australian bowlers will go defensive here." We do not do defensive bowling. Even when not in such situations, we were never really able to arrest India's scoring the way India were able to do bowling to us.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Well in theory it should have hurt India a lot more, not only being much further from home/friends/family but having to call-up net bowlers and one day cricketers for the last Test instead of the blokes they probably would have played if they could've flown in reinforcements.

Worked out for them anyway though. Maybe if they played their actual A bowlers they would've lost. :laugh:
Haha, it's a good point. Not sure whether the Aussie players have been allowed to have their partners/family visit them during the series. If no, then not much difference between being India or Australia really.