• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pujara is one lucky ****er to have been the foundation of back to back series wins in Australia if that's all you're attributing his success to
I think he's attributing it to this particular innings rather than his body of work.

Spark

Global Moderator
As after the previous test, making Paine the scapegoat will do no good to anyone except give @Spikey an erection. This bowling attack has serious questions to answer to have failed to get results in the 4th innings with such alarming regularity. Lyon and Starc with his supposed ability to clean up the middle/lower order and reverse swing are supposed to be the guys to step up in that situation and theyv'e let the team down consistently.

Forget the wickets, that passage of play where Starc got taken apart and went for 22 (?) off one over completely turned the momentum of the game. And Lyon despite bowling ok and looking threatening did nowhere near enough. If all he can do in the 4th innings with the ball turning quite a bit is "look threatening" then maybe they need an upgrade. Cummins is just ****ing amazing but its one guy and he had to almost break himself to make this game as close as it was. Bring back Pattinson and SoK.
Think the tactics are a big part of this though. Why are they so obsessed with back-of-a-length bowling and bouncers (not just to the tail!) when Starc's forte in ODI cricket is hitting the stumps? Why is it okay to rotate fast bowlers in and out based on workload and dropping intensity in England, but not in Australia? What were the plans to each batsmen to examine their specific weaknesses (other than "bounce them lol") and try to get them out, individually? Why do they always seem to struggle psychologically whenever someone goes after them and shows they won't be dominated, like Gill and Pant have done?

There are definitely real issues with the attack and it's not living up to its own hype, but that not because they aren't, individually, really really good at bowling. It's more down to the way they're managed, the plans they have, and the mental approach to the game.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think cnerd is poo pooing over his logic. Pujara was epic today and played one of the great test innings. So can it, buzz cut.
Sorry, are you referring to me here? I've done nothing but praise his innings all day ffs.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
all this is borne from bigotry of low expectations

i was doing a fist pump and lmao
Yeah I wrote a few pages earlier that I would've cried 10 years ago, but didn't even think of it today.

A decade ago it would be totally unexpected. Today it's not.