• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha

I'm a nerd about Math but the invasion of stats and BigDataAnalysis in cricket with complicated Math models etc makes me.. Urgh

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Worst stat going around rampant in cricket now is batting average v specific bowlers.
It's better than it used to be though, because people used to think Cricinfo would tell them this when it actually just told them average when dismissed by bowler.

It still sucks though, at least in Tests, because that's not how Test batting works. If you can see out a particular bowler and milk the rest then that's fine.

Teja.

Global Moderator
It's better than it used to be though, because people used to think Cricinfo would tell them this when it actually just told them average when dismissed by bowler.

It still sucks though, at least in Tests, because that's not how Test batting works. If you can see out a particular bowler and milk the rest then that's fine.
Yeah exactly. It's such a meme stat.

Flem274*

123/5
how does that cricviz stat deal with more unorthodox bowlers like a wagner?

basically does this system have any depth or does it just go off 'ball in corridor equals snick'

Spark

Global Moderator
how does that cricviz stat deal with more unorthodox bowlers like a wagner?

basically does this system have any depth or does it just go off 'ball in corridor equals snick'
No idea, ask them. But according to them, apparently the major weaknesses are actually bowlers who rely on pressure and subtle seam movement rather than extravagant pace or swing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The cricviz twitter account says that it really underrates Cummins and Abbas as a result.
It would be interesting to ask them to look at how there is such a difference between Ishant and Cummins though. I obviously think Cummins should be higher but in terms of MO Ishant is the same as Cummins and Abbas.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cummins is as good as McGrath at setting up top order batsmen. I think he does the same for tail enders too but he over thinks them and so his plans don't work as well.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It would be interesting to ask them to look at how there is such a difference between Ishant and Cummins though. I obviously think Cummins should be higher but in terms of MO Ishant is the same as Cummins and Abbas.
Ishant swings the ball a lot more, Cummins barely moves in the air these days. Heck, he doesn't even move it much off the pitch.