• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Should've brought Nagarkoti and Mavi as net bowlers. Tyagi's here already but way too raw currently. Those two will eventually be in contention one hopes, so would've been good exposure.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It’s not complicated, it’s nonsensical. What’s an “expected” average and how do you list five bowlers with higher averages than what one of them, and what another bowler actually average in the real world? It belongs here

it’s a genuinely useless stat

cnerd123

likes this
Should've brought Nagarkoti and Mavi as net bowlers. Tyagi's here already but way too raw currently. Those two will eventually be in contention one hopes, so would've been good exposure.
I'm wondering how Washington Sundar is the only offspinner in India they could fine to replicate Lyon in the nets. Perhaps it's just due to COVID. Easier to have him hang around after the LO game than get another player into the bubble.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
It’s not complicated, it’s nonsensical. What’s an “expected” average and how do you list five bowlers with higher averages than what one of them, and what another bowler actually average in the real world? It belongs here

Its a stat. All stats are useless imhi
Except the truth that Sachin > Bradman

Spark

Global Moderator

nah expected _____ is good and cricket should be moving much more towards these sorts of stats and much less "but he only averages 39 against sri lanka on turning pitches between 2004 and 2007"

Burgey

Hey Senile mate, meant to ask how come you weren’t here this morning at 5/300 but popped up after a couple of wickets? We’re you shining up the glass jaw?

But its not even a meaningful stat. How TF do you give Bumrah an “expected average” whatever that is - which is worse than his, you know, real world average?

Burgey

nah expected _____ is good and cricket should be moving much more towards these sorts of stats and much less "but he only averages 39 against sri lanka on turning pitches between 2004 and 2007"
But it’s meaningless unless you know what makes up the factors which give rise to it

Spark

Global Moderator
Hey mate, meant to ask how come you weeent here this morning at 5/300 but popped up after a couple of wickets? We’re you shining up the glass jaw?

But its not even a meaningful stat. How TF do you give Bumrah an “expected average” whatever that is - which is worse than his, you know, real world average?
i believe what they do is that they actually have a look at the hawkeye trajectory of the ball, and then look at their own ball-by-ball database (which i think has, like, hawkeye data of every ball bowled in tests in the last 20 years) and have a look at how many batsmen have been dismissed by such deliveries. i'm sure it's more sophisticated than that but that's the core idea.

Daemon

It's an interesting exercise imo, the name is misleading but just to make it a bit more eye catching I think? Otherwise it'd just be "which bowlers bowl a higher percentage of wicket taking deliveries".

I think it probably takes into account bounce and movement but I wonder if it takes into account speed.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's an interesting exercise imo, the name is misleading but just to make it a bit more eye catching I think? Otherwise it'd just be "which bowlers bowl a higher percentage of wicket taking deliveries".

I think it probably takes into account bounce and movement but I wonder if it takes into account speed.
i'm pretty sure the name takes after the increasingly popular xG stat in football (which is also good, and needs to become more prominent, yer da pundits be damned)

Burgey

i believe what they do is that they actually have a look at the hawkeye trajectory of the ball, and then look at their own ball-by-ball database (which i think has, like, hawkeye data of every ball bowled in tests in the last 20 years) and have a look at how many batsmen have been dismissed by such deliveries. i'm sure it's more sophisticated than that but that's the core idea.
See this is a meaningful answer as opposed to dickhead’s standard response.

Spark

Global Moderator

honestly that dom bess stat from the other day is as funny a stat as i've seen in a while

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Hey Senile mate, meant to ask how come you weren’t here this morning at 5/300 but popped up after a couple of wickets? We’re you shining up the glass jaw?

Its ****ing 6 AM here and I had a late night.

I think its got to do with a combo of catches being dropped, mi****s or just plain bad luck. Still the averages aren't that diverged from the actual averages.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean I think the main point of it has been that the batsmen have been bad (the metric takes no account for the shot played) and given away their wickets cheaper than the bowling has merited. Which, tbh, is a pretty solid conclusion.

vcs

Urgh I hate that xG **** in football and am pretty sure I'll hate it even more in cricket.