• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

let’s remember some guys

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Flintoff would have just retired wouldn't he?
Actually yeah he had retired, I was thinking he retired in 2010 but nah.

Probably makes even more sense that that they picked a young allrounder with top order county success who bowled heat given that. The fact that he grew up to become Luke Wright makes it seem sillier than it would have at the time, and they had the sense to not select him in the eleven.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually yeah he had retired, I was thinking he retired in 2010 but nah.

Probably makes even more sense that that they picked a young allrounder with top order county success who bowled heat given that. The fact that he grew up to become Luke Wright makes it seem sillier than it would have at the time, and they had the sense to not select him in the eleven.
I am now imagining a strange world in which Luke Wright is part of that England team that went to 1 in the world. I mean he would have been there instead of end of career Collingwood and Morgan who didn't do a great deal. Should have been Bopara of course.

Morgan was actually such a guy in Tests. Scored one good hundred, one that was one of easiest ever made and then he was terrible in the UAE and was never seen again.

thierry henry

International Coach
Doubt it. Afaik I'm the only one who thinks it is. Easy to get away with it in the Shield though, if you're not playing BBL or Internationals. That's how Cameron Gannon gets away with it.
I actually really don’t like it either. I was disappointed having heard what a ‘skilful’ bowler he was, I guess I had stereotyped him as having a classical action or something. Didn’t expect it to be so jerky and biffy.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Was Davies actually good or was he just another county superstar that probably didn't have enough to make international level?
He was alright IMO. I don't think he was ever going to be a gun but he could've had a good Test career in another universe, particularly at home. His main problem was recurring niggling injuries, more than anything else.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was Davies actually good or was he just another county superstar that probably didn't have enough to make international level?
Almost certainly the latter. He was also always injured.

He played for Durham though so Scaly must have loved him and always demanded his inclusion.

Shady Slim

International Coach
tim bresnan getting a mention earlier hurt me because i love the brez and if howe was around he would stick up for him too; but let's take a deep dive in to an all time great series with let's remember some guys: england tour of australia 2013/14

starting with a personal favourite guy of mine in Michael Carberry who opened the batting all tour, having debuted against bangladesh four years earlier in what at the time seemed like a sole test. carbs did a really good job, and did so in the slick smooth helmet that he wore. was one of the few batsmen in the england lineup to regularly show gumption and an ability to stick out super hostile spells from mitchell johnson and the others, and was given a rather unceremonious axing from the team despite all this. a part of england's opener merry go round that was better than his dropping suggested, it was the england bowlers who let england down all too regularly that tour, often letting the australian tail and brad haddin get away from them. since then we've seen carbs in the big bash where he won a title with the scorchers. iconic moment with harris snapping his bat in two in the tests was mirrored in the bbl when his bat went flying during a defensive shot. also made some great musings on the state of black english cricketers in an article on his cricinfo. now speaking of those bowlers...

despite anderson still being unthreatening in australia the brez was unjustly axed for big bad Boyd Rankin in sydney as england stared down 5-0 and needed a big spark. at 6'7 there aren't many taller than he but he failed to provide the spark england needed as they fell to australia in sydney too. has quite the curious distinction of playing ODIs for ireland, then debuting for england in tests, then returning to ireland for ODIs again, finally getting to also play tests for ireland - going back and forth and back again as his england career was short lived. also played in the limited overs games in that series where england wore a horrendous red kit and felt the wrath of james "the finisher" forkers faulkner when he could still bat

also entering the england side was spinner Scott Borthwick who came in for monty panesar (dropped after getting to celebrate his 50th test cap the match before), who came in for graeme swann (who quit). he went for seven an over in his debut innings as australia piled on 326, before managing to take a three for in the second dig. he had also played two ODIs for england in 2011, where he didn't take a wicket and went for eight an over. only 30 now, it would still be technically possible for him to have a long career with the three lions. also has a first class batting average of 35 and has got 19 tons and 50 fifties, which was a surprise to me as i write this because he averaged 2.5 here with the bat.

lastly but not leastly (bc i don't think steven finn is meh enough to be a guy) we come to Jade Dernbach who played the T20s, and who i believe has got a reputation as an ordinary bloke. cricinfo's profile of him highlights his tattoos, earrings, as well as "his penchant for over-exuberant celebrations - he has been known to run the length of the ground after getting wickets in dead first-class matches - have been widely mocked". cricinfo throws the frickin' shade!! he didn't do anything here and i would like an english poster to speak more for him but as a tattooed, earringed englishman you can understand why he has been mocked. played a lot of LOI cricket for the poms between 2011-2014, but didn't get to make the cut for the 2015 world cup. and probably for the best for his legacy!!

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mentioned Dernbach before as my favourite 2010s ODI guy from England, definitely a total guy.

Did he have any other gimmick apart from a slow ball?
He looked like a proper dodgy ****. Like if I saw him on my street I'd be calling the cops