• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

let’s remember some guys

cnerd123

likes this
What about Ian Harvey? All the Ch 9 commentators kept going on about how good he was, but he was basically a prototype NZ provincial ODI cricketer - handy medium pacer, adequate batsman, quality fielder.

Just checked - apparently played 73 odis for the best one day team of all time. Mind blown
was voted into the Top 50 ODI cricketers of all time by CW

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's absolutely nuts. I could probably think of 50 better ODI cricketers just in NZ.
Nah, if Ian Harvey was a kiwi you'd nearly be putting him in ATG teams with what he would have done

but yeah he was nowhere near as good as the comms hyped him up to be, and I've said this about him before on here, he mostly played when other players were rested/injured. Take out the rotation policy that Aus had in the early-00s and he plays a lot less games.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
View attachment 26643

These two guys: Franklyn Rose and Reon King...Late 90s Windies pace attak
rose had one of the coolest actions ive ever seen.
you mentioned laurie williams who i remembered vaguely, googled to find that he died in a car accident 18 yrs ago.
quite a few wi cricketers of that time who aren't really that memorable in hindsight but played at the time when gayle started his career.

a game many indian fans won't forget. probably the highlight of powell's career because he didn't pull up any trees after.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard Johnson. Just the name, can you get more county pro? I feel like at least 15 different versions of Richard Johnson played for England.

He actually took a load of wickets against weak teams but you just knew he would never play more than a few Tests.

cnerd123

likes this
rose had one of the coolest actions ive ever seen.
you mentioned laurie williams who i remembered vaguely, googled to find that he died in a car accident 18 yrs ago.
quite a few wi cricketers of that time who aren't really that memorable in hindsight but played at the time when gayle started his career.

a game many indian fans won't forget. probably the highlight of powell's career because he didn't pull up any trees after.
@Daemon did you see this live

Teja.

Global Moderator
Munaf Patel played a solid 70 ODIS and took 86 wickets @ 30 including a successful 2011 world cup. Also played 13 tests with a below average record of 35 wickets @ 38 but a couple of amazing spells.

An excellent cricketer when in the zone but constant injuries and a lack of motivation/willingness to dedicate a large part of his life to fitness meant he couldn't break out as much as he could have.

A very chill and generous guy irl.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is even more confusing. Thought it would be a tour of Bangladesh or something.
Looks like Flintoff was injured:

I guess they wanted a pace bowling allrounder in the squad to give them an the option of playing four seamers without dropping Swann, given how the conditions in SA can be on Days 1 and 2. Realistically Collingwood was probably going to be as effective with the ball as Wright in that scenario anyway, but Wright's bowling was always thought to be better than it was by those in high places.

I actually think Wright probably would've played Tests at some point if he wasn't so horrible in ODIs. He was a successful county bat - worse than him were picked during his time tbh - and he bowled gas (admittedly never very effectively).

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ed Giddins. Another Richard Johnson but with a drugs ban.

England don't really pick these guys anymore. Ben Coad and Jamie Porter are going to miss out on featuring in this thread in twenty years time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Looks like Flintoff was injured:

I guess they wanted a pace bowling allrounder in the squad to give them an the option of playing four seamers without dropping Swann, given how the conditions in SA can be on Days 1 and 2. Realistically Collingwood was probably going to be as effective with the ball as Wright in that scenario anyway, but Wright's bowling was always thought to be better than it was by those in high places.

I actually think Wright probably would've played Tests at some point if he wasn't so horrible in ODIs. He was a successful county bat - worse than him were picked during his time tbh - and he bowled gas (admittedly never very effectively).
Looking at the rest of that squad, Mark Davies was definitely a guy.