• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd ODI at Canberra, 2 Dec 2020

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Being indecisive is tantamount to being unable to play the short ball.
Well, but the difference here is that indecisiveness can be overcome but inability cannot be. Raina was unable to play the short ball, it was not any indecisiveness that cost him. Yuvi was indecisive. Even Sachin has been dismissed by shots that make you guys think Shreyas sucks against the short ball. Anyways, my view is that he has enough ability to overcome this and will be fine.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This doesn't make any sense. Indecisiveness and inability aren't mutually exclusive concepts. They can be effectively the exact same thing.

And don't buy into Burgey's trolling every time ffs. I'm sure this Iyer guy will get better and learn from experience.

Burgey

They are exactly the same thing. Just as being indecisive about going forward or back to a spinner is lack of ability in playing that type of bowling. You don't need to have a physical affliction to lack ability at something. It's the whole package

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They can be effectively the exact same thing.
Exactly. They CAN be the same thing but they ARE NOT the same thing. Indecisiveness can come from many causes. Kallis getting done by a Sreesanth bouncer was due to indecisiveness too, I would love to see how many here wanna say Kallis could not play the short ball.

My point is his basic technique and setup does not render handling the short ball that difficult for him, like it did for a Raina or Ganguly among the Indian batsmen I have seen. Yuvi is the best comparison in that he has been done by the short ball a few times but he has also made a lot of runs against the short ball and at least in LO cricket, it never held him back from being the best he could be. I see the same with Shreyas.

Daemon

I mean it’s clear what hb’s trying to say.

There’s a difference between being indecisive, being afraid, having poor technique when playing the pull/hook, not having soft hands when defending, not weaving ducking properly etc.

Of course they’re all connected to a degree, but from what I understand hb’s view is that if he can work on getting over the mental barrier of freezing then he’s good enough for the rest to fall in place.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They are exactly the same thing. Just as being indecisive about going forward or back to a spinner is lack of ability in playing that type of bowling. You don't need to have a physical affliction to lack ability at something. It's the whole package
Not really. If you see a player like Laxman, he will never get forward to a seam bowler, that is inability coz of how his technique is set up. But a player like Dravid being done in the channel because of indecisiveness does not mean he cannot get forward and cover drive you to oblivion the next game. There is a world of difference between being indecisive temporarily against a particular line or length of the ball than a complete inability to play a certain way due to how your technique and setup is.

There are instances where the indecisiveness may stem from that inability too but it does not mean it is always one and the same.

Burgey

I mean it’s clear what hb’s trying to say.
Well it's not clear at all, frankly, as evidenced by hb having to set out his point again in a multi paragraph post. Also, for whatever reason, the number of blokes who start out inept against the short ball and become competent/ proficient against it is pretty much zero

Daemon

Well it's not clear at all, frankly, as evidenced by hb having to set out his point again in a multi paragraph post. Also, for whatever reason, the number of blokes who start out inept against the short ball and become competent/ proficient against it is pretty much zero
By that logic every judgement you’ve ever written is unclear

Spark

Global Moderator
Eh I'm sure someone could rustle up a few examples.

Burgey

By that logic every judgement you’ve ever written is unclear
This demonstrates your own lack of logic tbh, because I don't write a decision then have to do another few pages later on explaining it. Appeal courts do that to them instead.

Regularly appealed, occasionally overturned.

But never wrong. :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This demonstrates your own lack of logic tbh, because I don't write a decision then have to do another few pages later on explaining it. Appeal courts do that to them instead.

Regularly appealed, occasionally overturned.

But never wrong. :ph34r:
#Trumper :ph34r:

Spark

Global Moderator
Well, but the difference here is that indecisiveness can be overcome but inability cannot be. Raina was unable to play the short ball, it was not any indecisiveness that cost him. Yuvi was indecisive. Even Sachin has been dismissed by shots that make you guys think Shreyas sucks against the short ball. Anyways, my view is that he has enough ability to overcome this and will be fine.
The thing is, short ball weaknesses are generally psychological more than technical. You can make technical adjustments if you like (Clarke had a notable technical issue with a blind spot with balls aimed at his right shoulder, for example) but the technical issue only really becomes a problem if it gets into your head that you have a problem. If you freeze when the ball is pitched short, then no amount of technical ability will save you and Iyer is freezing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The thing is, short ball weaknesses are generally psychological more than technical. You can make technical adjustments if you like (Clarke had a notable technical issue with a blind spot with balls aimed at his right shoulder, for example) but the technical issue only really becomes a problem if it gets into your head that you have a problem. If you freeze when the ball is pitched short, then no amount of technical ability will save you and Iyer is freezing.
Not really. He hooked the only good bouncer he faced in the 3rd game for 4 and it was at reasonable pace and he was in full control. Anyways, we can argue this to death but only time will tell who was right. I dont see it as a major weakness or drawback like it was with few other players I have seen. I think he will be fine as a LO #4 or #5, which is where he will bat.

Burgey

His problems in the 80s had nothing to do with inability to play the short ball though. He made back to back 90s against a Windies attack of Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh and Patterson at Brisbane & Perth

Spark

Global Moderator
SWaugh is actually a good example of what I'm talking about. Technically he was objectively pretty rubbish against the short ball in terms of playing it "how you should" and scoring off it, but mentally it didn't bother him at all and it meant that he pretty much never was actually troubled by it.