• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in New Zealand - Nov/Dec 2020

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Happy to pay $10 for each shot to watch in the ground :-) Picture perfect drives and awesome to use this to teach young ones how to play a front foot drive. Roach did put fair bit in for both balls. Both these shots didn't make the highlights and there are like 30 + such shots that didn't make the highlights. If a bloke can play as many in one game that is a definite sign of good things to come.

nzfan

lol i opened youtube before here and your cover drive video was in the second line of my recs
I feel Social media can read your mind.

This one, quality shot. Played very late and you can see Roach is not kidding or taking it easy. He's probably frustrated for not knocking over a rookie yet. I think their bowling will come good, we will have some competition with the IPL players joining the squad.

nzfan

The Holder dude is quite good. The lad has a bit a pace about and quite lanky. I think he has a bright future.

Beamer

Thanks nzfan, really value your insight. A lot of the drives are on the up hitting through the line. Hopefully that means the pitch is a good one, as well as Ravindra being a talented batsman. Not counting any chickens with our batting though...

Our bowling has challenged literally every team we have faced in the last 2 years. The issue is our batting has been bundled out by every team we have faced also!

So in this particular match the important thing for us is to settle down and get some scores under our belts, no matter how long it takes. Seeing John Campbell play two big hook shots in his first 6 balls is therefore quite frustrating. He's not helping himself.

Flem274*

123/5
the 3 nz dismissals were predictable lol young finding new ways not to score a ton when set, rachin trying to smash someone and nicholls going for a random fiddle when set.

i quietly rate brooks to fashion a career for himself, tho he's gonna need to get more forward in nz.

and yea, conway definitely the favourite for test match #4 next summer. given his wilting in south africa, nz should put that same spotlight on him. we need to know if he's going to run out a 98* kane in the world cup final before he actually does it. better the bankable will young 70 in a high pressure situation there. geez that guy is gonna score so many test 50s. plz learn to convert.

rachin just wants to dominate ****s doesn't he. has the arrogance of a middle order man.

Last edited:

Beamer

I quietly rate brooks to fashion a career for himself, tho he's gonna need to get more forward in nz.
I think Bravo is the only one I see actually getting forward occasionally. He has already hit an imperious cover drive in his brief innings, coming forward very nicely.

Braithwaite, Brooks, Chase and Dowrich are all hover on the crease types. In fact an entire generation of Bajan batsmen tbh. I don't know why they can't improve, they have been around long enough. Good thing on this trip is that Monty Desai the batting coach is back. He was making a difference late last year, but couldn't make the England tour due to COVID. His replacement was Floyd Reifer and I swear when it comes to the West Indies side, every thing Floyd touches turns to ?.

nzfan

Bravo... what a player. Happy to travel to watch the man. He's a beast. Hope we get to watch the best of him this time around, he's such an amazing player. Doesn't look like Trinidad prince anymore but still very very good watch

I think the only area Conway may be worked at is at his ribs. He can still cope those too but on a fast pitch with some pace about he will be well tested. Obviously there's no doubt he'll come out on top but it's going to be interesting if the sides start targeting specific areas for Conway. The international teams travel with analysts, many coaches and they will all be eye. Don't really know why they had to play Conway for NZ A, they should not have given a glimpse of him to WI IMO

nzfan

Lots of perfume balls from A Joseph. Like the looks of him, good aggressive bowler. What pace does he bowl at? 140 ticks? Runs in like Archer, quite smooth run up.

Love the way Ravindra gets out of the way and selective with his pull shots. Glad to see he's not compulsive puller. Two seasons ago he was going after every short ball. It sure was effective but you got to be selective with the pull shot otherwise it can work against him.

nzfan

For purists and cricket tragic Ravindra dude's got the range, cuts, pulls, straight drives, on drives, cover drives, clips, good vs spin, strong pretty much everywhere. Has great range of shots. Will make a very good one day player as well. Only time will tell if this sort of range will mean he may be hit and miss with so many shots in the repertoire particularly at the top of the inning in red ball cricket. Sure shot he's going to score a lot of runs in one day cricket. Some of these shots won't make the highlights but I think gives glimpse of what he's capable of when on song. I know it sounds a bit of hype but honestly haven't seen too many batters with this kind of range, timing and balance. How are so many good players coming through the ranks of late in NZ? Something we must be doing right which we didn't do say a decade or two ago.

Last edited:

nzfan

Thanks nzfan, really value your insight. A lot of the drives are on the up hitting through the line. Hopefully that means the pitch is a good one, as well as Ravindra being a talented batsman. Not counting any chickens with our batting though...

Our bowling has challenged literally every team we have faced in the last 2 years. The issue is our batting has been bundled out by every team we have faced also!

So in this particular match the important thing for us is to settle down and get some scores under our belts, no matter how long it takes. Seeing John Campbell play two big hook shots in his first 6 balls is therefore quite frustrating. He's not helping himself.
I think our players are used to leaving the balls consistently the first hour. Our domestic pitches are not great for batting early in the season. I could probably roll my arm and pick a 5 fer. The batsmen never feel settled and it's quite a lottery of late particularly this season although towards the end of first half of our domestic first class comp runs started to flow. Leaving needs to be of the highest quality in the first hour particularly with the new ball, let go every ball that is not in your range and make the bowlers bowl straighter. Once you see off the first hour or so you get a chance to have some fun. Often the batters that come in are out mostly inside 20-30 balls of facing, if they get through that they will generally score reasonable runs.

Flem274*

123/5
rachin is good because his dad is a nutter who has been grooming him for test cricket since childhood. while his friends were playing with toys and eating mud, rachin was batting.

Beamer

Question for New Zealand supporters: Why are the bowling averages of the guys in this A side so high? Is it the pitches? Are they talent picks rather than performance?

Duffy takes his wickets at 32, Tickner at 39, Rippon at 35, Rae 35, and Smith at 40. Sears is the only one with a decent average (25). Any bowler in the Caribbean averaging over 30 per wicket has no chance. But then the pitches have been in their favour for years.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Question for New Zealand supporters: Why are the bowling averages of the guys in this A side so high? Is it the pitches? Are they talent picks rather than performance?

Duffy takes his wickets at 32, Tickner at 39, Rippon at 35, Rae 35, and Smith at 40. Sears is the only one with a decent average (25). Any bowler in the Caribbean averaging over 30 per wicket has no chance. But then the pitches have been in their favour for years.
Duffy had a bit of a rough start to his career. He'd be averaging under 30 for the last few years for sure. That's pretty much what you'd expect for an average for spinners in NZ. Not sure why Tickner is so high though

Beamer

Duffy had a bit of a rough start to his career. He'd be averaging under 30 for the last few years for sure. That's pretty much what you'd expect for an average for spinners in NZ. Not sure why Tickner is so high though
Selectors must have seen something they like in these guys to be selecting them with career records like that I guess. Our selectors have to do that for batsmen because there is so little quality to choose from.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Ravindra a zak Crawley type situation? Young, not an insane fc record but rated on how he's made his scores and the opposition he's made then against?

Mike5181

International Captain
the 3 nz dismissals were predictable lol young finding new ways not to score a ton when set, rachin trying to smash someone and nicholls going for a random fiddle when set.

i quietly rate brooks to fashion a career for himself, tho he's gonna need to get more forward in nz.

and yea, conway definitely the favourite for test match #4 next summer. given his wilting in south africa, nz should put that same spotlight on him. we need to know if he's going to run out a 98* kane in the world cup final before he actually does it. better the bankable will young 70 in a high pressure situation there. geez that guy is gonna score so many test 50s. plz learn to convert.
Young's conversion problems are grossly exaggerated at this point. Like he's still not great at it, but it's nothing like the first half of his career.

2011/12 - 2015/16: 39 games 22 50s, 2 100s
2016/17 - 2020/21: 38 games 16 50s, 7 100s

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is Ravindra a zak Crawley type situation? Young, not an insane fc record but rated on how he's made his scores and the opposition he's made then against?
Ravindra literally had threads made about him on here when he was eight years old. It's preordained hype rather than based on what he's actually done in FC cricket so far.