• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wellington's big weapon in it's last few seasons has been it's bowling attack (Conway notwithstanding). The batting this season has been miserable, but the bowling unit really hasn't stood up either, can't help but feel that Bennett's lost a yard from a couple of seasons ago.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes nearly all of Wellington's pacemen would prefer a sunnier spring than this one's been I reckon, to get some pace and carry into their Patumahoe pitches. Also no South Island away games with Leo Carter types pulling with relative ease off the front foot.

Bennett was getting some nice outswing and play-and-misses going at Hagley, but certainly a bit of an over-bulked bustler to my eye, too.

I suppose it's often the very lean Chris Martin builds who'd look to be as quick at 33 as they were at 26.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sears is just getting a pudding-style reaction out of this pitch he's started on today, compared to the reverse-cupped rockets this time last year.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Will wait to see how ND bat to confirm how pitch is playing, but looks like Canterbury's good batting lineup at 200/6 has failed to take advantage against ND's second string bowling attack (short Southee, Wagner & CDG). Several starts in that, highest score a breezy 50 from L Carter.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Two weird dismissals, check out Renwick as well. Watched a bit today at Basin, the pitch looked all right for batting. Not a lot of lateral movement, bounce. Rutherford played some eye pleasing shots, 3 fours off Sears' bowling. I thought he was set for a very long haul but was out shortly. Sears bowled some bumpers in the last couple of overs before he got out and Rutherford looked a bit out of sorts. He's such a good watch though. Bennett looked very tired between overs. Hope he's all good. It's a very long season.

The Hutt Rec

Two weird dismissals, check out Renwick as well. Watched a bit today at Basin, the pitch looked all right for batting. Not a lot of lateral movement, bounce. Rutherford played some eye pleasing shots, 3 fours off Sears' bowling. I thought he was set for a very long haul but was out shortly. Sears bowled some bumpers in the last couple of overs before he got out and Rutherford looked a bit out of sorts. He's such a good watch though. Bennett looked very tired between overs. Hope he's all good. It's a very long season.
I think Bennett’s looked like that pretty much the whole time he’s played for Wellington, hasn’t he?

nzfan

Finn Allen out driving the ball. Looks he's too early on the ball. Probably not having any runs in the past few innings getting to him perhaps. Not a good morning if you are firebirds supporter, both Conway and Blundell knocked over early. Looks like it is going to be a very testing season for us. Runs from the top order just not coming at all and the strange dismissals of Ravindra hasn't helped. Not all hope is lost for Ravindra yet, he'll be back with a bang but Finn Allen's batting is a bit worrisome. He's not a bad bat but doesn't look like he's never in. Hope the coaching staff show a bit more faith in him and not dump him after this game.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Sears is just getting a pudding-style reaction out of this pitch he's started on today, compared to the reverse-cupped rockets this time last year.

Duffy has made a few zip off the same wicket this morning, particularly the ball to get Blundell. May have dried out a little, in Sears' defense.

Flem274*

123/5
i don't understand otago's batting order. i take it rutherford wants to try out the middle order but there's no way kitchen is a red ball opener and rutherford is a decent fc opener and their best batsman by far...oh i see what they're doing.

duffy's wickets look really good. lots of zip. maybe he's on for a big season to finally drag that average down below journeyman status. he's 26 now, he should be hitting his prime.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
duffy's wickets look really good. lots of zip. maybe he's on for a big season to finally drag that average down below journeyman status. he's 26 now, he should be hitting his prime.
Hmmm, would be interested in seeing a kippax highlights package. Bracewell certainly doesn't seem to look too hurried as he lurches onto the front foot and tonks him over midwicket.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Who has seen Fraser Sheat bowl? He's having a good season and FC stats are 42 wickets in 11 matches at 22 before today along with 3 for 14 so far in this match.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm, would be interested in seeing a kippax highlights package. Bracewell certainly doesn't seem to look too hurried as he lurches onto the front foot and tonks him over midwicket.
Blundell won't be giving this pitch a good rating for having its liveliest square metre right where Duffy would want it to be.

Included that third one just to show Duffy is probably getting into quite good form here, nonetheless.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Who has seen Fraser Sheat bowl? He's having a good season and FC stats are 42 wickets in 11 matches at 22 before today along with 3 for 14 so far in this match.
Yes I like Sheat for this level. Not sure his ceiling is high, but he's been serving my draft team with distinction. Canterbury's latest guy to come in with no NZ U19 pedigree, bowl a full length with outswing and a few nip-backers through the gate. Essentially bowl in that fashion that can definitely average low 20s in the Shield and yet would almost assuredly be a 50+ man if you promoted to Tests.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sears only 15 runs away from fetching that bumper 100/1 return. Not the worst occasion for Wellington's batting to post 180-200 tbh, taking a look at how bleak Sunday's forecast is.

Chewie

ND had 4 wickets in hand to score 9 runs to avoid the follow-on with Watling still in and they failed