• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just at the right time, it was a bit worrying seeing him struggle to post reasonable runs. This four day has been good for Blundell, he's played positively and hasn't gone into a shell trying to get through periods of play. That style of cricket just doesn't suit him. He needs to be looking to score. Same applies to Ravindra and Conway in my opinion. Both of them are touch players and need to be positive and not try to survive. Something to salvage out of this game. The game looks shut but funny things happen.

Surprised to see Andrew Fletcher playing in place of Sears. Covid replacement? Hope Ben Sears is all right.
Concussion apparently.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Heh Duffman wraps it up in double quick fashion. I don’t even think that was going to hit Blundell’s stumps in the first place.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Plunket Shield 2020/21 Table
TeamPlayedPoints
Canterbury
3​
54​
Auckland
3​
38​
Otago
3​
25​
Northern Districts
3​
25​
Central Districts
3​
23​
Wellington
3​
11​

Immenso

In one of those podcasts linked earlier by kippax. The Otago season preview talk to Duffy. He said that Dale Phillips was looking the best in the early season nets and pre-season training. Good call.

Batting and Fielding in Plunket Shield 2020/21 (Ordered by Average)
NameMatchesInnsNot OutRunsHSAve10050Ct
DN Phillips (Ot)12114883*148.00023
BJ Horne (Auck)23019216264.00105
DAJ Bracewell (CD)22012210261.00100
CD Fletcher (Cant)331121100*60.50106
JF Carter (ND)351235146*58.75113
DJ Mitchell (Cant)33015910353.00108
LJ Carter (Cant)3301578752.33021
GH Worker (CD)2301549651.33021
TWM Latham (Cant)2301458648.33018
DK Ferns (Auck)2319063*45.00010
DP Conway (Well)3602539442.16020

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
IIRC years ago when Glenn Phillips was U19, Kippax suggested Dale Phillips might turn out the better player. Though he's only 2 yrs younger and, two years ago, Glenn had played a lot more domestic cricket than Dale has now. Dale had to move to Otago to get a domestic gig - bottleneck at Auckland may explain the difference.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
IIRC years ago when Glenn Phillips was U19, Kippax suggested Dale Phillips might turn out the better player.
No I don't think that would've been me who said that tbh. Dale is potentially Rob Walter's new Shawn Hicks. Another partial Saffer he can be a slightly harder taskmaster with, tighten up and tidy up in style.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
Just at the right time, it was a bit worrying seeing him struggle to post reasonable runs. This four day has been good for Blundell, he's played positively and hasn't gone into a shell trying to get through periods of play. That style of cricket just doesn't suit him. He needs to be looking to score. Same applies to Ravindra and Conway in my opinion. Both of them are touch players and need to be positive and not try to survive. Something to salvage out of this game. The game looks shut but funny things happen.

Surprised to see Andrew Fletcher playing in place of Sears. Covid replacement? Hope Ben Sears is all right.
I was under the impression "touch players" are accumulators rather than free scorers. I'm actually in the boat of us having defensively sound players that can rotate strike as opposed to "positive strokemakers" who average 30 odd and continue that merry go round. It's no surprise our most reliable bats of the last few years happen to be Kane, Tom and BJ, the 3 most defensively sound players in the line up.

Also, are we hoping Rachin becomes a top order Test player, or utility player than can bat decent, and bowl alright? Cause I'm always seeing his bowling being brought up, and im starting to see bit and pieces type justifications for his lack of production. Although he has time on his side and I'm sure he'll come good. I'm just not banking on the second coming of Williamson hype that some seem to have initially thought......

Not really into the "that style doesn't suit them", type argument either, mainly because there needs to be growth and the ability to adapt to match situations, regardless whether it suits the style, especially for the NZ test side, scoring rate has never been our problem.

Flem274*

123/5
rachin isn't disgracing himself. williamson and latham were mainly picked off one big season as kids and taylor learnt on the fly at test level.

he's batted in the hardest position in nz since his debut unlike all of the above, and this is a good thing for his development. his initial averages won't be pretty but this is better than the false confidence of being selected for nz based on a 50+ average at #5 or lower.

he hasn't **** the bed either, he just hates the 90s. being an opener in nz red ball cricket he'll need 2-3 seasons before he's test ready.

nzfan

I think I'm going with Flem's assessment of Rachin. I go by having coached players and teams in the past. I'm not going to reveal my CV haha but I honestly believe he's once in a lifetime cricketer like some of the very best we have seen in NZ. Hate comparisons of players as each one is different. I wouldn't say he's the next Kane. I would rather say sky is the limit and he could be as good, better or worse. Only time can tell but there's absolutely no doubt in my mind he's going to be a main stay.

Let's take Rachin for instance, played for NZ A in an overseas tour that too in UAE. Playing against the Pakistan players that are now test main stay. He scored most runs for NZ A in an alien condition. Not an easy task. He may not have gone extraordinary with the ball in red ball but do check his bowling performances in white ball cricket in the same series. Again quite awesome for a player that made his debut against an international A side.

From memory he averaged 50 or there abouts for Firebirds in the last two season opening the batting and mostly playing at Basin domestic decks. That was enough evidence for me this kid has got the goods. Perhaps taking a wee bit longer but in my opinion he's one of the best we have had recently. I had a chance to speak to couple of Indian test players that played NZ A as warm up early this year and when I asked whom do they see as the talent they think will be terrific for NZ, both replied with Rachin.

If you take his white ball domestic stats he's really good both with the bat and the ball in the domestic circuit.

I think if he was playing in the 2000s he would have played for Black Caps by now. The current Black Caps team in all formats is stacked at the moment and very hard to break through which is quite good. More the competition better it is.

We have a player that is good enough in all formats, can bat, bowl and also field (which is quite standard for most of our players barring one or two). Has excellent basics both with the bat and the ball, scores at a good clip and adapts to different formats fairly easily. Now, let's be honest we can't ask for more can we? If he didn't play for NZ A, chances are he would have staked up way more runs and wickets in all formats. There are many who pick him as the next NZ best. They're not all that stupid I'd think and I see why they are giving him chances at NZ A level to mature. I think he's a sure winner. Just needs a bit of luck too sometimes batting at the top on the decks we've had recently. I definitely believe he's one for the long run, not expecting him to take the world by storm for couple of months but in the long run he will be a serious cog in the black caps set up.

Last edited:

nzfan

Rachin aside it worries me some of the other U19 players we've had since say 2012 have not made good strides yet. Glen Phillips is definitely one for the future, I see him being very good. Kyle Jamieson has come along nicely. Other than these two rest of the U19 players haven't really made it to the national side yet. I'd like to see some of them come through. Josh Finnie I read isn't interested in red ball cricket. He's only 21 or 22 and that's a shame. I think Finn Allen has it in him as well to go on to become a quality player. Basin hasn't helped his case this year and Auckland played him sparingly. Nathan Smith has a bright future as well I reckon. Ben Sears is another one that is definitely going to be a force to reckon but these guys need to be playing a bit higher than they are fairly consistently to be able to improve.

I'm not saying replace the super stars in the team but at least give a chance here and there in whatever format if they believe these guys have it in them.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
Rachin aside it worries me some of the other U19 players we've had since say 2012 have not made good strides yet. Glen Phillips is definitely one for the future, I see him being very good. Kyle Jamieson has come along nicely. Other than these two rest of the U19 players haven't really made it to the national side yet. I'd like to see some of them come through. Josh Finnie I read isn't interested in red ball cricket. He's only 21 or 22 and that's a shame. I think Finn Allen has it in him as well to go on to become a quality player. Basin hasn't helped his case this year and Auckland played him sparingly. Nathan Smith has a bright future as well I reckon. Ben Sears is another one that is definitely going to be a force to reckon but these guys need to be playing a bit higher than they are fairly consistently to be able to improve.

I'm not saying replace the super stars in the team but at least give a chance here and there in whatever format if they believe these guys have it in them.
Loved the "I'm not going to reveal my CV" call haha!

Yeah def not in the "Rachin is mud" camp at all, I would give anything for a classy left handed #5 in the test team, just would hate for him to succum the too early middle order merry go around that can claim alot and the reshuffling and reclassification of top order roles vs Test roles, although recent times suggest they should play their cards right.

I guess I was more actually in line with this comment and the likes of Rob Odonnell etc plodding along with averages of 30 odd season after season having 50 odd first class caps being a mainstay and the likes of Finn Allen having to be moved around. Although, seems as though everyone rates Finn, from what I seen at EPOO he seems very handsy / goes at the ball and opening (what on Earth were the Aces doing... not surprised) number 3 is prob not the best option for a guy who deals in boundaries.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no shortage of highly McCullum-influenced players in any 2020 NZ domestic team who would've been itching to try and have a lash at Matt Henry's pace, fly a few nicks over the slips, post a pretty quickfire total in the low 200s
McCullum to probably approve of Dashing Dale's Basin day 1 batting intentions. Especially any jumping attempts to lash it like the one seen at 2:10.

Not sure who we have in the region to offer anything like it in the spring rounds next year. We may just have to let Rob Walter tighten up Dashing Dale a little bit, then try to recruit him.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Honestly I think our biggest problem is we have a glut of quality players who are all of similar age which makes breaking new guys into the squad hard to crack. We'll fall off a cliff in about 5 years too when all those guys start to retire.