• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slightly ambiguous title, yet it's a question about who are your favourite sports people in each sport you follow.

I only pose it because I was really struggling to think who mine are, so many have blotted their copy-book, a few I've met and not liked, it really would have been so easy when I was 12, Kellow, Gatting, McEnroe, Higgins, Faldo, Platini but how any of them turned out to be gits in one way or another (spoiler all of them).

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't particularly have any favourites in the same way I did when I was 12 either - Paul Mariner, Tony Greig, Muhammad Ali, Ille Nastase, Sue Barker (she was at the time young, blond and lived in Devon). I still love sport but I'm not a fanboy.

grecian

I don't particularly have any favourites in the same way I did when I was 12 either - Paul Mariner, Tony Greig, Muhammad Ali, Ille Nastase, Sue Barker (she was at the time young, blond and lived in Devon). I still love sport but I'm not a fanboy.
I kinda agree, but think I can be re-ignited to close to a joyous love of a sportsperson by heroics, it's a way to actually almost feel alive in these tortured times, Flintoff, Watkins, Harley, Stokes, ENNIS have done this in recent times.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I enjoyed what Ben Stokes did last year but I couldn't call him a favourite. There's a reasonable and fairly well matched crop of heavyweight boxers at the moment, but I don't particularly favour any of them. I like to see Andy Murray win, but that's mainly because I grew up into middle age without a genuine Grand Slam contender from Britain. I will admit that when Jessica Ennis was pregnant the fact that it wasn't mine was a major source of disappointment.

grecian

I enjoyed what Ben Stokes did last year but I couldn't call him a favourite. There's a reasonable and fairly well matched crop of heavyweight boxers at the moment, but I don't particularly favour any of them. I like to see Andy Murray win, but that's mainly because I grew up into middle age without a genuine Grand Slam contender from Britain. I will admit that when Jessica Ennis was pregnant the fact that it wasn't mine was a major source of disappointment.
You seem to be arguing an odd thing LT, I am asking if people have favourites in each sport, not if they are slavishly devoted to them.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that in terms of favourites, when I was younger I had players who I followed and was willing them to do well and was disappointed if they didn't. Some people on here were suicidal when Federer lost last years Wimbledon Final, but I don't have favourites on that level.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Big q that

Here's one I prepared earlier

Cricket: my CW XI avatar
Football: Patrick Berg (son of his dad) / Hege Riise
Tennis: Tsitsipas / Osaka now, state
Cycling: Tom Dumoulin / Anna vd Breggen
Athletics: Nafi Thiam

I have very questionable tastes and am very happy with them thank you

weeman27bob

International Regular
Athletics: Nafi Thiam
Pffft, everyone knows that heptathletes who are good at speed events >>> heptathletes who are good at power events.

In no way does this have anything to do with Kelly Sotherton, Jessica Ennis Hill and KJT all falling being in the former category.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Watto still counts for cricket.
Aguero for football. Messi is just such a joy to watch that it's hard not to pick him, but Sergio provided me the greatest moment of my sporting life and all because of his talent, tenacity and belief in himself.
Basketball is Steph Curry.
Baseball is obviously Mike Trout. Amazing talent, makes it look so unbelievably easy when he just pops a slider into the 27th row.
NFL is Odell Beckham. Nobody is as genuinely entertaining. You never know whether he's gonna take an insane one hander and take it the house or when he's gonna go insane and try to punch a cornerback in the head :laugh:

Last edited:

weeman27bob

International Regular
To put some more niche sports out there

Alpine Skiing - I'm a big fan of Mikaela Shiffrin
Freestyle Skiing - Justine Dufour-Lapointe is a moguls skiier who I like
Curling - Eve Muirhead
Cycling - Outside of British cyclists, I've got a soft spot for Esteben Chaves
Athletics - KJT in the heptathlon, Allyson Felix is incredible, used to be a big Jonathan Edwards fan when I was younger and obviously Bolt

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
weeman goes in HAAAAARD with the Muirhead play

also reveals he's watched a lot of Eurosport

and probably turns in his history of quidditch membership card

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
Cricket - Ponting
Football - Neymar, R9, Maradona (though I haven't seen him play)
Boxing - Mayweather, GGG
MMA - Jonny Bones Jones, Khabib, Tony Ferguson
WWE ( I don't really know if it's a sport ) - Jericho, Shawn Michaels

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
cricket - sunil gavaskar, sachin tendulkar, martin crowe, allan border
football - diego maradona, michel platini, lionel messi
men's tennis - john mcenroe, pete sampras, roger federer
women's tennis - chris evert, steffi graf, martina hingis
golf - nick faldo, eldrick woods, rory mcilroy
basketball - kobe bryant
chess - vishy anand, garry kasparov
badminton - prakash padukone

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricket: VVS. Played Bevan-esque ass saving knocks while not compromising one bit on aesthetic side of batting, loved to screw over Australia, basically never played a boring innings, he's done nothing to make me not love him (apart from that one time he brought up Phil Hughes' death in a discussion about an unrelated India-Australia controversy but nobodys perfect). Among non-Indians, Steyn is probably my favourite.
Basketball: Curry. Nothing more exciting in the sport than watching him go nuclear.
Football: KDB. Those fizzed low crosses hnng
Tennis: Wawrinka/Justine henin for those backhands

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Slightly ambiguous title, yet it's a question about who are your favourite sports people in each sport you follow.

I only pose it because I was really struggling to think who mine are, so many have blotted their copy-book, a few I've met and not liked, it really would have been so easy when I was 12, Kellow, Gatting, McEnroe, Higgins, Faldo, Platini but how any of them turned out to be gits in one way or another (spoiler all of them).
Love it that Tony Kellow sits with that bunch of superstars, and shame that he was such a disappointment.
Interesting take on McEnroe actually. I didn't like him at all at first, but grew to like him later as a player and really like his commentary stints.

I suppose that mine were Moore, Cruyff, Greig, Amiss and li. A bit later, Borg, Ovett, Platini and Botham.

Shady Slim

International Coach
cricket’s warnie and rangana herath, for batsmen i would say KP and faf too
evgeni malkin for hockey
gael monfils and eugenie bouchard for tennis
el magic for rugby league (him being my original favourite sportsperson in any sport); recently you have sam kasiano and frank pritchard
ben roethlisberger for american football
tiger woods or phil mickelson for golf too