• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

Victor Ian

International Coach
Some of those run outs by Dhoni were not that great. I think the last one... that is not out. Dhoni throws down the bails but batsman is in ground. He then takes off and Dhoni grabs ball and runs in and breaks stumps. But he does not remove a stump from the ground. Dfuk!

Another one, when he flicks it between his legs. Nice trick shot, but what in the **** is Dhoni doing standing in front of the wickets. That is not good. He is having to pull off trick shot flicks because he doesn't get himself in the right positions that make other keepers look regulation.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Your comprehension is atrocious. As I said: **In a hypothetical scenario where all else is equal**

Nothing about Gilchrist v Dhoni is "all else being equal". You literally even brought up the different batting positions yourself.

fmd
It's not my comprehension mate.

I say "batting averages aren't a good way of saying Dhoni is better than Gilchrist because in their teams playing their roles they contributed pretty much the same amount of runs to the team. They're not actually that relevant in ODIs".

You say "Yeh but batting averages show who's a better batsman because it's better to make 50* and 50 than it is to make 50 and 50"

I say "yeh, that's my point, Dhoni has more opportunities for not outs because of where he bats, they contributed pretty much the same on average to their teams"

You say "you're comprehension is atrocious" (in spite of the fact you're making points that prove my point)

Ok.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not my comprehension mate.

I say "batting averages aren't a good way of saying Dhoni is better than Gilchrist because in their teams playing their roles they contributed pretty much the same amount of runs to the team. They're not actually that relevant in ODIs".

You say "Yeh but batting averages show who's a better batsman because it's better to make 50* and 50 than it is to make 50 and 50"

I say "yeh, that's my point, Dhoni has more opportunities for not outs because of where he bats, they contributed pretty much the same on average to their teams"

You say "you're comprehension is atrocious" (in spite of the fact you're making points that prove my point)

Ok.
So now you think that "more opportunities for not outs" is an advantage? Just keeps getting worse

And yeah you clearly still haven't understood what I'm saying at all.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My key takeaway from this thread is that @Burgey is more a boomer than a racist since he got to triggered by Kapil being called a crap ODI player
You'll be surprised to know you're wrong on me being either. No one else will be surprised, of course.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So now you think that "more opportunities for not outs" is an advantage? Just keeps getting worse

And yeah you clearly still haven't understood what I'm saying at all.
you might wanna check your comprehension there, champ.

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
Lets keep it simple. Ideally in limited overs game, the aim of any batsman is to play as many balls as possible while scoring runs as fast as they can. In this regard, Gilchrist faced 9922 balls while getting dismissed 268 times, averaging 37.02 BF/dis. In contrast, Dhoni faced 12303 balls while getting dismissed 213 times, averaging 57.76 BF/dis. If Gilchrist was indeed far better than Dhoni as a batsman then why did he got out so often facing far less deliveries? Now someone might argue that Gilchrist was an opening batsman so he had a specific role that was to accelerate the innings to give advantage to his team, and hence he was getting out quickly. But this only means that he was playing second fiddle to someone who was clearly better than him at staying at the crease. Besides Dhoni himself had an important role of finishing the innings for the team which is equally crucial if not more for the verdict of the match, specially while chasing. This invalidates the argument here by many that Gilchrist was more valuable to Australia as an opening batsman than Dhoni was to India as a lower order batsman.

For the record, Dhoni's average was not that 'bad' up the order. Here's the full list of averages based on batting positions

1-2 2 inn @49.00
3 16 inn @82.75
4 30 inn @56.58
5 83 inn @50.30
6 129 inn @47.31
7 34 inn @44.76
8 3 inn @17.00

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I do believe Dhoni would have had an even better career at 3 or 4 i.e. would have made more centuries and played more memorable knocks . Unlike other lower order batsmen, but like Bevan, he was not just a striker, he was an accumulator capable of shifting gears.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Dhoni vs Gilchrist is a non-starter as argument simply because there are other alternatives to Gilchrist as opener which is where he was at his most valuable. Dhoni's role as keeper + batting shepherd however has no realistic contender therefore he makes the grade every single time. This is not slighting Gilly; I believe his average belies the impact and intimidation his batting conveyed and he pulls his own weight as opener alone, but his overall skillset is surplus to requirement with Dhoni in the side.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dhoni vs Gilchrist is a non-starter as argument simply because there are other alternatives to Gilchrist as opener which is where he was at his most valuable. Dhoni's role as keeper + batting shepherd however has no realistic contender therefore he makes the grade every single time. This is not slighting Gilly; I believe his average belies the impact and intimidation his batting conveyed and he pulls his own weight as opener alone, but his overall skillset is surplus to requirement with Dhoni in the side.
QdK is the only other opener+keeper who is close to the class of Gilly that I can think of. BMac was a pretty big step down but he's probably the next closest. Unless you're splitting Gilly's role into two (opener and keeper) and ignoring his keeping? Because ignoring Dhoni's keeping you get a batsman somewhere between Hussey and Bevan - excellent but not irreplaceable.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bairstow if you cheat a bit
Yeah, though it depends on the player. It's a bit odd that they prefer his keeping in tests and Buttler's in ODIs. But I'd say Bairstow doesn't want to keep in ODIs while opening or he'd probably have the job. I don't rate Buttler's glove work overly highly.