• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unfortunately that was awful. For most of the last two matches it has been great bowling from England but it has to be said we basically handed this innings on a plate through a combination of shambolic shots and terrible footwork. It's a shame as they had really competed up until then.

Still, England were clearly the better side in the last 2 tests and deserve the series.
Also, stop batting last

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Also, stop batting last
Question is whether that would help?

I suppose a point in favour is that given the loss in the second test, there was a feeling West Indies had their backs against the wall and would be happy to escape with a draw, and batting last does raise the prospect of having to save a match at the end, creating a certain mentality.

Last edited:

Pothas

Fun series, pretty standard for England at home although generally think there is quite a bit more to be positive about with the team than there has been the last couple of years.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Fun series, pretty standard for England at home although generally think there is quite a bit more to be positive about with the team than there has been the last couple of years.
Definitely, mainly getting a batting lineup together. We knew pace stocks and the middle order were pretty good but there's fewer question marks in the lineup than we've had for years.

Pothas

Hope they are not tempted to pick the 4 pace bowlers again when Stokes is fit, sure they will continue to rotate anyway.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Burns-Sibley-Crawley at least it feels settled and they're doing a job. Crawley still feels like a bit of a punt to me, I'm hopeful for him but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't last past the end of the summer if he doesn't make any runs against Pakistan.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Also, stop batting last
Yeah, this test especially. Two offies in your XI, Jase, and literally no team has won a test at OT after choosing to bowl since god was in short trousers.

Talk us through that thinking...

Yeah, as you say, we've all known Broad, Anderson and Woakes are a handful in home conditions for a while now, but Sibley, Pope and Burns show real promise.

The top order has a more solid look than we've had since Bell, Pietersen and Trott were put out to pasture.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Pouring with rain again it seems, from TMS. Windies may well have had a shot at saving this with even a bit of application.

Neptune

State Vice-Captain
Burns-Sibley-Crawley at least it feels settled and they're doing a job. Crawley still feels like a bit of a punt to me, I'm hopeful for him but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't last past the end of the summer if he doesn't make any runs against Pakistan.
If Crawley fails then who would bat number 3? Dan Lawrence?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Easy to take for granted how good England have been at home for past 20 years but they weren't guaranteed to beat anyone at home in the 80s & 90s.

Pothas

Yeah, as you say, we've all known Broad, Anderson and Woakes are a handful in home conditions for a while now, but Sibley, Pope and Burns show real promise.

The top order has a more solid look than we've had since Bell, Pietersen and Trott were put out to pasture.
For sure. Trying not to think about India away though, lots of talk (as always) about the away ashes but we have to get through that one first and it could be the worse of the two.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Easy to take for granted how good England have been at home for past 20 years but they weren't guaranteed to beat anyone at home in the 80s & 90s.
From the end of the 1985 Ashes to the end of the 1989 series, England won three tests out of forty. 3 out of 40. They didn't win any matches at home at all except a one-off test against Sri Lanka.

Pothas

From the end of the 1985 Ashes to the end of the 1989 series, England won three tests out of forty. 3 out of 40. They didn't win any matches at home at all except a one-off test against Sri Lanka.
The 90s side actually gets a rough deal, this lot were clearly a lot worse but when you think 80s and English cricket you think Botham and 81.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
in the 90s i can only remember a 96 win over india and an epic but incredibly umpire assisted win over south africa in 98 where england for once had gough, fraser and cork all firing at the same time (i think caddick was out of favour). i don't remember anything pre 93.

it was absolutely dire but the second half of the 80s and that legendary ashes where they selected a billion players does sound terribad.