• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If ODI cricket was changed to 60 overs an innings again

Teja.

Global Moderator
I'm not suggesting that this is a good idea but let's assume it does happen. 12 overs a bowler. 60 overs an innings. Everything else is still the same as it is today.

What cricketers would suddenly become more/less valuable?
Which teams would improve?
Which teams would change their lineups dramatically?
What other interesting trends do you think we would see?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's a good idea. Better this than any number of arbitrary "innovations" they keep introducing in the limited over games.

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
England and India would suffer the most I guess, England because maintaining the one tempo they know how to maintain would be harder over 60 overs. India because we play with 3 batsman and while all three of them would do better, overall we would be poorer.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Bat deep becomes more important
Not necessarily. Batsmen will look to play longer, will score comparatively slower and teams will lose on average same number of wickets in 60 overs as they lose in 50 overs.

Some teams will adapt better than others. I can see WI becoming even worse in 60 over game.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would be more interesting if the 10 over quota could be relaxed and you could bowl two bowlers for upto 12 overs. That way, you see less of the Raina/Maxwell type filth in the middle overs, teams wouldn't mind picking two or even three spinners on spin friendly pitches, more wicket-taking bowling.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I think Pujara could be much much better in a 60 over format.

Starc stocks will go a decent bit higher even from the high point that they already are in.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
How about playing it with the red or the pink ball, getting back the reverse swing and spinners in to equation?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
ODI cricket was never 60 overs in the first place. That was a practice only followed in England in the old days. Every where else it was 50 overs iirc.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ODI cricket was never 60 overs in the first place. That was a practice only followed in England in the old days. Every where else it was 50 overs iirc.
Nope. Firstly, the vast majority of early ODI cricket was in England. Only after the commencement of the tri-series in Australia is this not the case. Early matches in Australia were 40 8 ball overs and NZ and Pakistan 35-40. The Texaco trophy was 55 overs up 1995. Series in Pakistan included 45 overs (vs England in 1987) and 40 overs (series from 1990 to 93). There may be a few others I'm missing.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Nope. Firstly, the vast majority of early ODI cricket was in England. Only after the commencement of the tri-series in Australia is this not the case. Early matches in Australia were 40 8 ball overs and NZ and Pakistan 35-40. The Texaco trophy was 55 overs up 1995. Series in Pakistan included 45 overs (vs England in 1987) and 40 overs (series from 1990 to 93). There may be a few others I'm missing.
The 60-over matches I think were only the first 3 World Cups.

srbhkshk

International Captain
As long as you stick with the white ball Starc isn't getting any worse just because he can bowl a couple extra overs
Why is that? If batsman have to attack him less they will do better against him just like they do in tests and he would become more prone to bowling crazy stuff he occasionally bowls in tests.