• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If ODI cricket was changed to 60 overs an innings again

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cakey batsmen will be more important while explosive openers lose maybe just a little bit of their edge. Guys like Kane, Root, Kohli, Smith, Faf, Azam, Hope etc should benefit.

The quality of ARs should go up since teams may be more wary of selecting no rounders that can't deliver enough overs.

Finger spinners and reverse swing may make a comeback.

Teja.

Global Moderator
But he isn't as good in tests? Why would we think he will do better in 60 overs?
I was thinking he'd more fresh returning for a spell in general, more opportunities to squeeze him in short bursts if a specific batsman is getting annoying and a SR like that would be great to the limited extent it would carry over from 10 to 12 overs.

TheJediBrah

Why is that? If batsman have to attack him less they will do better against him just like they do in tests and he would become more prone to bowling crazy stuff he occasionally bowls in tests.
I don't think you have a great grasp on what makes Starc a better ODI bowler than a Test bowler. Not that he's even a bad Test bowler by any means.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Starc will run rounds on batsmen if it is a 60 over contest. Way more reverse swing will be available even with current laws.

trundler

Starc is weird in that he can extract way more swing with the white ball instead of the red ball. I think part of what makes him a good ODI bowler is that you have to go after him. Cummins is sort of the reverse.

Daemon

Starc is weird in that he can extract way more swing with the white ball instead of the red ball. I think part of what makes him a good ODI bowler is that you have to go after him. Cummins is sort of the reverse.
Not that weird, white balls tend to swing more early on compared to the red kookaburra.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So in a 60 over game you have a 20% increase in the 'time' resources with no change to the 'wickets' resources, so logically you'd expect to see a corresponding drop in run-rate as teams factor in that the wickets have to be 'spent' more slowly. If this is the case, it would mean cake-y batsmen are more valuable and there'd be a slightly higher emphasis on #7 and #8 batting ability (as the total number of balls they face increases, even if the proportion of the innings stays the same).

I'm not convinced that's what would actually happen though.

I mean, it probably would be the case initially, but I don't think the game would stabilise around it. My theory is that current ODI teams are actually pretty bad at judging when to shift from cake to icing in an innings, and typically over-value wickets towards the back-end, failing to make the most of their resources as a result. So I think after a while you'd still see teams aiming to be 2 or 3 down around the 35th-40th over and accelerate hard from there. Particularly if the current rules persist and you're only allowed 5 outside the circle for the last ten.

Similar sort of theory as now, really - first 35-odd overs belong to the cake, the rest of the innings belongs to the icing. I reckon 350 would be about 'par'.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I feel we'd have a lot more opportunity to see test style classic innings in hard conditions.

TheJediBrah

Yet you were consistently calling for Australia to drop him from the Test team 12 to 18 months back...
He's improved a lot since. Back then he was like the Travis Head of bowling. Not good.

and that was only because we also had Cummins, Hazlewood and Pattinson who were all more attractive options at the time. Never thought he wasn't a solid Test bowler

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
He's improved a lot since. Back then he was like the Travis Head of bowling. Not good.

and that was only because we also had Cummins, Hazlewood and Pattinson who were all more attractive options at the time. Never thought he wasn't a solid Test bowler
That isn't even remotely true, and you know it

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
The 60-over matches I think were only the first 3 World Cups.
Looking at scorecards of early ODI series, matches in England were 55 overs, and would remain so well into the 80s.

England seems to have had three domestic one-day competitions of 60 (Gillette/Natwest, etc.), 55 (B&H) and 40 overs (Sunday league).