• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Loss matches that you can’t get over or don’t have fond memories!!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The Sachin 175 in India in a JAMODI against Australia. Will never forgive Jadeja for ruining that game for India.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Adelaide 2006.
That's a very good shout. No way we should've been losing that test after our first innings.

Our collective arse went on the final day, retreated completely into our shells and, well we all know what happened next.

Trinidad in 94 was painful too; being blown away for 46 (chasing ~190) is never fun, but one had to marvel at CEL Ambrose. Big fella was a force of nature that day.

In the shorter stuff our loss to Oz in the 2003 WC group stage was ****ing galling (and probably sealed our fate). We had the crims at 135/8 in the 38th over chasing 204, but we couldn't get Bevan and Bichel held up the other end. The real pisser has to be the 2016 T20 final with Braithwaite spanking Sir Benjamin for 4 consecutive Dorothys to win it in the last over with two balls to spare having gone into it needed 19. Sigh.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The 2013-14 series in Australia really hurt, the best England side I've seen visibly overstaying their welcome and getting carted by an Aus team that was terrible for three years but suddenly made good by players their own fans were writing off. And it really didn't help that the opposition did it with an internet troll for a coach that recieved praise for getting Australia 'back to a winning culture' (read: being complete ****s on and off the field).

Flem274*

123/5
The 2013-14 series in Australia really hurt, the best England side I've seen visibly overstaying their welcome and getting carted by an Aus team that was terrible for three years but suddenly made good by players their own fans were writing off. And it really didn't help that the opposition did it with an internet troll for a coach that recieved praise for getting Australia 'back to a winning culture' (read: being complete ****s on and off the field).
australia h4x at home can be ridiculous sometimes. in other countries johnson fades into memory as that guy who took a few wickets then became terrible, but no for several series the australians h4xed him into returning as a god.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I can't imagine not getting over losing a game of cricket. But the biggest disappointment in ODI's were the 87 and 92 World Cup Finals. In Test Matches the 1990 tour of the West Indies. We'd been pasted by the Windies for years but surprisingly won the First Test and were denied going 2-0 up by the most freakish of rain storms even by rainy season Caribbean standards. Viv Richards took over as umpire to enable the Windies to level and normal service resumed for the Final Test giving the Windies the series win they palpably didn't deserve.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
1999 WC match against Zimbabwe.

Can't really get over this one at all. After the unfortunate demise of Tendulkar's dad and his absence, India put in an atrocious performance. 50+ extras while bowling in an ODI is cringeworthy. As if that is not sufficient, batsman after batsman came in and got dismissed by horrendous shots. A nightmare for a life time.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would have thought that Pakistani and Indian fans would have been appalled at their 2007 WC exits.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. the Greg Chappell era is a dark time period in Indian cricket and I was just happy it was gonna be over, really. I never thought we had any kind of shot that WC. Was more appalled that Lara could not get the swan song he deserved with at least a SF appearance. Think if you dig up the 2007 WC threads here, you will see that in my posts.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i know they’re t20s, but there haven’t been too too many heartbreaking australia test losses in recent memory (even say the broad 8-15 game i wouldn’t say is heartbreaking bc it was entirely foreseeable; just like the OP, the ones that hurt for me are the big chokes)

the game where watto tonned up against india and we limply let them chase it down hurt as a watto fan. as well as the big bash final with the sixers and the scorchers in binga’a final ever game in the magenta tbh, that was a crusher

now

in terms of tests the one i’m most devastated about was one that australia won; pakistan at the gabba a few years back when pakistan nearly chased like almost 500, by when they got to 300 i started to actively root for the upset just because of how wild it would be, and for them to fall short was a bit of a deflater once i had become so invested in them getting the W

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What I particularly hate about that series is that the 13 home Ashes was retrospectively overshadowed completely by it.

It's still the only home Ashes rubber we've won by more than a single test since the 80s and looks very much a placeholder sort of series now.

I can't imagine not getting over losing a game of cricket. But the biggest disappointment in ODI's were the 87 and 92 World Cup Finals. In Test Matches the 1990 tour of the West Indies. We'd been pasted by the Windies for years but surprisingly won the First Test and were denied going 2-0 up by the most freakish of rain storms even by rainy season Caribbean standards. Viv Richards took over as umpire to enable the Windies to level and normal service resumed for the Final Test giving the Windies the series win they palpably didn't deserve.
Weirdly enough I have fond memories of that series. The fact we actually took a test off the West Indian gods was very hard for the teenage me to compute. I was so used to us being smashed by the Windies just competing and having the series alive going into the fifth test was something of a moral victory, especially after having been smashed in the preceding summer's Ashes and touring with what looked a very transitional squad. If memory serves we'd even recalled dear old Pop Larkins to open.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBH the 2013 series in England was a much closer series than the scoreline indicated (like India's loss to England in 2018).

vcs

1999 WC match against Zimbabwe.

Can't really get over this one at all. After the unfortunate demise of Tendulkar's dad and his absence, India put in an atrocious performance. 50+ extras while bowling in an ODI is cringeworthy. As if that is not sufficient, batsman after batsman came in and got dismissed by horrendous shots. A nightmare for a life time.
Yeah this is a good shout. Dreadful performance that killed us on that carry-over points thingy, even though we played some decent cricket from that point onwards to knock out SL and England and beat Pakistan in the Super Sixes, that loss pretty much killed us off.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
'96 semi at Eden Garden. Went to bed in tears after that. Now that I think of it, it was a sort of coming-of-age moment; nothing cricket-related, not even the fixing debacle, really affected me afterwards.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
TBH the 2013 series in England was a much closer series than the scoreline indicated (like India's loss to England in 2018).
Yeah, it didn't feel like 3-0, Lord's excepted. As Brumby said, it's somewhat overlooked because of what followed almost immediately, which is a shame because it included two dead set classics (Trent Bridge and Durham) and some pretty decent cricket throughout.

I think that most of the English ones have been listed. The 1987 and 1992 WC finals were frustrating because we should have won them. Adelaide 2006 obviously. 2013-14 was grim but we didn't have a prayer once Johnson found his mojo. I'd add the 3-0 loss to Pakistan in the UAE at the start of 2012 as one that really grated. If memory serves we went into the series as number 1 ranked team, bowled really well but our batsmen had no game plan whatsoever against a couple of guys who had the temerity to turn the ball. Went into the series over-confident and then threw on the towel when it got tricky.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Other nightmares from an English pov:

Christchurch in 1984. We'd dominated much of the previous test until NZ batted really well to save it. Bowled first at Christchurch in obviously helpful conditions but decided to bounce NZ out instead of pitching it somewhere near the batsmen's end. NZ finished about 150 over par at 300odd and twice bowled us out for about 100. The Kiwi view was there was something odd about the English attitude. No kidding mate.

The whole of the 1989 ashes. Do I really need to go into detail? Aus were on the up, but 0-4 was a joke. Our selectors thought that picking 29 players in the series was the way to build a side. And yes I know that we lost a few when the SA 'rebel' tour was announced mid-series, but the tone had been set by then.

India in 1992-93. Keith Fletcher was in charge and opined that Kumble posed no threat at all after watching him struggle in South Africa. Because no spinner has ever struggled there, of course. Then he compounded that by picking a mostly seam attack in the first test when the hosts thought that three spinners might be the better bet. Still, what did the locals know, eh? For a while we even made Vinod Kambli look a class act in this series. India won all three tests by a mile of course.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Other nightmares from an English pov:

Christchurch in 1984. We'd dominated much of the previous test until NZ batted really well to save it. Bowled first at Christchurch in obviously helpful conditions but decided to bounce NZ out instead of pitching it somewhere near the batsmen's end. NZ finished about 150 over par at 300odd and twice bowled us out for about 100. The Kiwi view was there was something odd about the English attitude. No kidding mate.

The whole of the 1989 ashes. Do I really need to go into detail? Aus were on the up, but 0-4 was a joke. Our selectors thought that picking 29 players in the series was the way to build a side. And yes I know that we lost a few when the SA 'rebel' tour was announced mid-series, but the tone had been set by then.

India in 1992-93. Keith Fletcher was in charge and opined that Kumble posed no threat at all after watching him struggle in South Africa. Because no spinner has ever struggled there, of course. Then he compounded that by picking a mostly seam attack in the first test when the hosts thought that three spinners might be the better bet. Still, what did the locals know, eh? For a while we even made Vinod Kambli look a class act in this series. India won all three tests by a mile of course.
All very solid shouts. We are somewhat spoilt for choice, aren't we?

If the old grey matter recalls things correctly Hick scored the most runs and took the most wickets from the touring squad in the 92/93 series with his gentle offies, perhaps giving even more credence to the idea it was a spinners' series.

trundler

Thankfully Pakistani performances overseas are predictably shambolic, except in London for some reason

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
All very solid shouts. We are somewhat spoilt for choice, aren't we?
Oh yes. Our recent overseas hammerings in India and Australia would be regarded as a low point by other countries, but they barely registered. What was your take on the 0-3 to Pakistan that I mentioned in the previous post? tbh I can't believe it was eight years ago. How did THAT happen?