• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Loss matches that you can’t get over or don’t have fond memories!!

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
2 NZ England tests - 2014 Eden Park and 2015 Lord's - the 1st was a disastrous draw (Matt Prior) Eng 9 down at the close and the 2nd an appalling loss after scoring 500 in the 1st innings.

Flem274*

123/5
Not a loss, but having India 5 down for nothing in India until they were saved by ****ing Harby.
i had purged this from my memory

hamish bennett broke down on dayboo so we had marto opening the bowling with jesse friggin ryder and marto just went beserk. was the first time he'd looked like taking a wicket in years and he had it hooping.

then harbhajan joined laxman...boohoo i wanna die

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't he eventually end up falling to Ross Taylor of all people?

That looked like a thoroughly strange game all round

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The '19 WC final. I literally can't watch the youtube highlights because it's too painful (which is a shame because it's objectively one of the best matches ever).

Before that, the 2008 NZ v Eng test at Old Trafford was pretty hard to watch. Watching a 190 run first innings lead turn to a thumping 6 wicket defeat was probably the most extreme case of that NZ side's technical and mental weaknesses.

subshakerz

International Coach
The matches I can't get over are the ones in which your team snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

Pakistan has too many:

- In 1997, we lost at home to South Africa chasing 130 odd in Faisalabad, worthless performance. A test series victory over South Africa at that time would have meant a lot as they had the wood over us.

- In 1999, Pakistan lost to Australia at the Gabba when they chased 369 and were 126-5. What a memory it would have been to beat Waugh's Australia at home but somehow Gilchrist sapped all the energy from the Pakistan attack.

- In 2000, Pakistan lost to West Indies in West Indies by 1 wicket after bad umpiring denied Pakistan a first ever victory in the West Indies. No way did West Indies deserve to win that.

- In 2007, Misbah's silly pre-meditated scoop in the T20 final when the game was Pakistan's to lose.

- In 2009, Pakistan surrendered in Sydney after getting a 200 plus lead and then captain Yousuf spread the field, Akmal had greasy gloves and gave the game away. Again, a victory in Australia given away.

- In 2010, Pakistan lost the T20 semi final after having Australia on the ropes and then suddenly forgetting how to bowl.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The meltdown against Ajaz Patel and co. while chasing 160 odd a couple of years ago was glorious. :)

Burgey

92-93 A grade final vs the cheating ****s at Guildford Leagues. Played on their home ground - deck was wet and we were sent in. Were 7/27 at one point but recovered to post 170 odd. Had the pleasure of being in a 130 odd run stand in that game, was hit from pillar to post and bleeding from getting jawed (no helmet - I hated them and refused to respect them enough to wear one). Still have the scars. Had them 1/2 overnight.

Turned up next day and their groundsman had dried the deck out overnight using heaters then rolled it flat as a tack. Also mowed the outfield first thing on the Sunday morning so it was like polished glass. They passed us seven down. Absolute scumbags.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Adelaide 2015 for mine. NZ have Australia on the mat 8 down and some 100 runs behind in the first innings, with Starc ruled out (bowling-wise) for the rest of the game. Then Nigel Llong rules Lyon not out in that review and after that NZ proceed to fritter it away. McCullum bizarrely (over)bowls Mark Craig who proceeds to get tonked by everyone including Starc on one leg. Talk about tossing away a hard-earned advantage.

The 2015 WC final too, while NZ were clearly second best on the day I don't believe that team with the sort of cricket they'd been playing all season should have lost by 7 wickets (and with Brad Haddin having to rub it in). Would've liked them to end on a better note even if it were still a loss.
****'s sakes, my therapist had dealt with 2015. Now you bring it up.

Nigel Llong. I must not create voodoo dolls of Nigel Llong. Yes doctor.

morgieb

Headingley.

Trent Bridge 2013 would've been up there if the 13/14 Ashes didn't come immediately after.

Bengaluru 2017 (IIRC) where we lost after Lyon took 8 in the first innings was a big one. So, so close to rolling India in a series at home. I know we did in 2004 but that Australian side >>> the 16/17 one and India were at a bit of a lull at that point.

Perth/Melbourne 2008 against South Africa. The end of an era, in a way. Two games we were in complete control where we just imploded.

Most of the other losses were annoying but not in a heartbreaker sort of way.

Too young to remember something like Kolkata.

Kirkut

International Regular
2003 World Cup final wasn't upsetting to me at all, that Aussie side would have comfortably defeated Clive Lloyd's side without a close game. In fact it was a surprise for India to make it to finals when South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan and Sri Lanka were bigger favourites than us.

Kirkut

International Regular
Trent Bridge in 2011 was a classic humiliation. Shastri manning up and taking on Nasser Hussain only for us to be made to look like fools with Broad-Prior batting partnership after 120/8 and Broad getting a hat trick.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First test against SA in 2016 was one. Despite some good bowling a collapse like that was simply unforgivable, then JP Duminy pulling out about his first good innings since his one against us in 2008 sealed the deal. The sandpaper series was pretty bad too.

92-93 A grade final vs the cheating ****s at Guildford Leagues. Played on their home ground - deck was wet and we were sent in. Were 7/27 at one point but recovered to post 170 odd. Had the pleasure of being in a 130 odd run stand in that game, was hit from pillar to post and bleeding from getting jawed (no helmet - I hated them and refused to respect them enough to wear one). Still have the scars. Had them 1/2 overnight. Turned up next day and their groundsman had dried the deck out overnight using heaters then rolled it flat as a tack. Also mowed the outfield first thing on the Sunday morning so it was like polished glass. They passed us seven down. Absolute scumbags.
Does this sort of chicanery still happen in club cricket?

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Trent Bridge in 2011 was a classic humiliation. Shastri manning up and taking on Nasser Hussain only for us to be made to look like fools with Broad-Prior batting partnership after 120/8 and Broad getting a hat trick.
Ha ha yeah. He (Shastri) went for the low hanging fruit and suggested Hussain and England were jealous because of the IPL and the fact that they'd never been bloody no.1 one in the world. Just when India were about to surrender that ranking to umm.. England