• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I mean, he once bowled Hammond and was reportedly a pretty good fielder. I’ll take that.

He was a leggie, I think? All great batsmen somehow seem to like bowling legspin. Lara, Smith, Kohli bowls leg rollers, and while Sachin bowled all sorts, his leggies were always the best. Maybe Marnus is on to something. :laugh:

Days of Grace

International Captain
I use the ICC rating of dividing each rating by 500 and then multiplying the two together.

For example if Player A has a batting rating of 200 and a bowling rating of 900 and Player B has a batting rating of 500 and a bowling rating of 500:

Player A ((200/500)+(900/500))*500 = 360

Player B ((500/500)+(500/500))*500 = 500

Player B is thus the more valuable allrounder even though Player A has more points if you simply add his batting and bowling together.

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Been reading the forum for years because I stumbled upon DoG's first batsmen countdown.

Just signed up specifically to say I appreciated this one very much as well. Great piece of work!

Slifer

International Captain
Amazing amazing work, DoG. I am sure the mods can get with James but this absolutely bloody deserves to be on the CW main page. Your rankings to me have more nuance and more thought behind it than anything crapinfo has turned out or even Wisden for that matter. I can imagine the effort it would have taken and then to come up with write ups for about 200 cricketers (including the bowling rankings here) is just top notch stuff. We can all argue till the cows come home on who the best poster in CW is qualitatively but I think you easily qualify as the most important poster here, for these efforts alone. Take a bow, champ. :)

Smith - His rise has been such an impossible story, its hard not to feel happy for a man of his obstinacy. The obstinacy of working with the technique he had, figuring out how best to combine his various gifts and work around his limitations, the sheer will to stay at the crease and get the runs no matter how it looks and how long it takes... He is a special breed. He can grind it out like Dravid or take the game by the scruff like Lara or maintain a good tempo all through like a Sangakkara, and there in a nutshell, he is already a combination of 3 of the greatest batsmen of all time. :) I do think he will have more a fall at the back end of his career than the other current players, but that could just be coz he has the highest peak of them and hence a longer distance to fall, but it is a discussion for another time. At the moment, he very much deserves to be the 3rd greatest batsman of all time in test cricket.

Hobbs - I have not read that much about him and knew him only very vaguely before I was a regular here but his records are just astounding. And the various accounts of him by the journalists of that time also show that he more than passed the eye test. When the only guy above you is an absolute freak in the whole world of sports, you are doing pretty well for yourself. :)

Bradman - There are literally no words that can do justice to this man and his dominance of this sport. Maybe there were others with better technique, maybe there were others who could making batting look stupidly easy, maybe there were others who could play absolutely breathtaking and inconceivable shots, but there is no one better at scoring runs than The Don. The fact that even with a Smith's average, you will need a 36 run averaging batsman to make up for him is astonishing. I do not like to compare across sports but I am not aware of anyone else with this level of dominance in any other sport. I could well be wrong but the very fact that even for a comparison, we need to start looking outside the sport of cricket suggests he is indeed the real God of batting.
Regarding Bradman imo Wilt Chamberlain was well on his way to dominate basketball in a similar until the nba changed various rules to curtail his dominance. Up until his 7th season or so, wilt was averaging 40 or so ppg (not to mention rpg and apg) bear in mind that a great nba player averages around 20 ppg . Even Jordan himself averaged 30 ppg over his career (NBA's highest). Then there are the seasons he averaged 50 ppg for a season and the 100 point game. Blocks and steals weren't counted in Wilts time otherwise he could've conceivably had ended up having the NBA's only quintuple double in a game. As in was, the NBA changed a plethora of rules to rein Wilt in and he still ended up an atg with records like the Don that will never be broken but he could've been the Bradman or close to Bradman of his sport overall imo...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Regarding Bradman imo Wilt Chamberlain was well on his way to dominate basketball in a similar until the nba changed various rules to curtail his dominance. Up until his 7th season or so, wilt was averaging 40 or so ppg (not to mention rpg and apg) bear in mind that a great nba player averages around 20 ppg . Even Jordan himself averaged 30 ppg over his career (NBA's highest). Then there are the seasons he averaged 50 ppg for a season and the 100 point game. Blocks and steals weren't counted in Wilts time otherwise he could've conceivably had ended up having the NBA's only quintuple double in a game. As in was, the NBA changed a plethora of rules to rein Wilt in and he still ended up an atg with records like the Don that will never be broken but he could've been the Bradman or close to Bradman of his sport overall imo...
Wilt is different. The pace of the game was so ridiculously high in that era that there's a reasonable explanation why his stats were so inflated. There were other players in that era putting up insane numbers too. Bradman was a bigger anomaly in even his own era than Wilt was. Theres no similar semi-sensible explanation for why Bradman averaged twice what the great batsmen usually do.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Wilt also changed his style of play midway through his career, initially being more focused on stats and records, before eventually focusing on winning. Something a few of today’s players would be wise to take note of.

Slifer

International Captain
Wilt is different. The pace of the game was so ridiculously high in that era that there's a reasonable explanation why his stats were so inflated. There were other players in that era putting up insane numbers too. Bradman was a bigger anomaly in even his own era than Wilt was. Theres no similar semi-sensible explanation for why Bradman averaged twice what the great batsmen usually do.
Well yeah of course Wilt is no Bradman but he's the closest that I can think of ( his first 7 years) in any popular global sport unless I'm missing someone.? Gretzky??

ataraxia

International Coach
I'll try and predict what the top 25 will look like. Can't wait to see how wrong it is:

1) Bradman
2) Sobers
3) Smith
4) Lara
5) Viv
6) Hobbs
7) Hutton
8) Tendulkar
9) Sangakkara
10) Hammond
11) Ponting
12) Chappell
13) Sutcliffe
14) Barrington
15) Kallis
16) Headley
17) Gavaskar
18) de Villiers
19) Border
20) Waugh
21) Weekes
22) Younis
23) Chanderpaul
24) Dravid
25) Miandad

Kohli probably in the 26-30 range.
He got three positions correct.
OS got Bradman, Smith, and Sutcliffe correct we know now.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Even in Japan, you guys can do a CW meet. There are at least 3 CWers living there.
Really? I have no idea who else apart from Kiwininja lives in Japan.

Excellent thread. In case you have free time, kindly do similar statistical exercise for ODI batting, to address the huge discrepancy in batting average of 90/2000 players and current players
I'm working on it. :)

Is there an entire list published for convenience sake?
I could but it would be a very long table (all batsmen with 500 runs to their name). And I have only done the full ratings for about 150 players.

It's been one of the best exercises at assessing batsmen's quality.

Top effort, Days of Grace!

If you're ever in my neck of the woods, drinks are on me.
Well, I'm currently on planet earth so choose your pub. :cool:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For all the talk on Barrington, it is easy to forget that Wisden actually ranked him #7 in their all time top 10 in 2002. The list:

1. Don Bradman
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Viv Richards
4. Garry Sobers
5. Allan Border
6. Jack Hobbs
7. Ken Barrington
8. Sunil Gavaskar
9. Greg Chappell
10. Brian Lara