• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Do ya reckon Hobbs hits 300+ centuries without WWI?
Bear in mind that in county cricket only 4 seasons (1915-1918) were lost to the 1st World War. With 4 more seasons at his peak, plus an Ashes tour, 250 seems a better guess.
Of course, without that career break it's possible that Hobbs (and Hendren, Mead, Woolley, Sandham...) wouldn't have carried on so long into the 30s.

ma1978

International 12th Man
The Don is the greatest sportsman the world has ever seen, in any sport. There is nowhere where the statistical gulf is so wide. Would be interesting to analyse this but the conclusion is obvious.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Well done DoG, greatly enjoyed the thread and appreciate the massive amount of work you obviously put into this endeavour.

Was a pleasure to read.

Slifer

International Captain
Yeah excellent exercise DOG. And Steve Smith atm very much deserves to be ranked where he is. I've been watching cricket since the 80s and Smith is the best I've seen in that time. And the thing one has to admire is the fact that he seriously could have a much better average if he were selfish and all about stats. Also, he hasn't made tons of cheap runs either; he's played the best attacks of his time (rsa, India and England) quite frequently.

sunilz

International Regular
Excellent thread. In case you have free time, kindly do similar statistical exercise for ODI batting, to address the huge discrepancy in batting average of 90/2000 players and current players

sunilz

International Regular
I would love to have DoG create a list of Top 25 test all rounders of all time. Would be wonderful !
That should be easy. He should add the batting points and bowling points for all the cricketers. This should give us top 25 all rounders

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One could argue until the cows come home about differences between eras and qualities of bowling attacks etc. but the the difference between Bradman and the rest continues to astound no matter how you look at it.
Absolutely, he's a good 7 solar masses greater than the next guy.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's been one of the best exercises at assessing batsmen's quality.

Top effort, Days of Grace!

If you're ever in my neck of the woods, drinks are on me.

Bijed

International Regular
Multiplying them would work better, otherwise Bradman would probably still win.
Raises a legitimate separate question imo, wrt how being varying levels of good to AGT in both disciplines compares objectively to being absolutely godly at one

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Amazing amazing work, DoG. I am sure the mods can get with James but this absolutely bloody deserves to be on the CW main page. Your rankings to me have more nuance and more thought behind it than anything crapinfo has turned out or even Wisden for that matter. I can imagine the effort it would have taken and then to come up with write ups for about 200 cricketers (including the bowling rankings here) is just top notch stuff. We can all argue till the cows come home on who the best poster in CW is qualitatively but I think you easily qualify as the most important poster here, for these efforts alone. Take a bow, champ. :)

Smith - His rise has been such an impossible story, its hard not to feel happy for a man of his obstinacy. The obstinacy of working with the technique he had, figuring out how best to combine his various gifts and work around his limitations, the sheer will to stay at the crease and get the runs no matter how it looks and how long it takes... He is a special breed. He can grind it out like Dravid or take the game by the scruff like Lara or maintain a good tempo all through like a Sangakkara, and there in a nutshell, he is already a combination of 3 of the greatest batsmen of all time. :) I do think he will have more a fall at the back end of his career than the other current players, but that could just be coz he has the highest peak of them and hence a longer distance to fall, but it is a discussion for another time. At the moment, he very much deserves to be the 3rd greatest batsman of all time in test cricket.

Hobbs - I have not read that much about him and knew him only very vaguely before I was a regular here but his records are just astounding. And the various accounts of him by the journalists of that time also show that he more than passed the eye test. When the only guy above you is an absolute freak in the whole world of sports, you are doing pretty well for yourself. :)

Bradman - There are literally no words that can do justice to this man and his dominance of this sport. Maybe there were others with better technique, maybe there were others who could making batting look stupidly easy, maybe there were others who could play absolutely breathtaking and inconceivable shots, but there is no one better at scoring runs than The Don. The fact that even with a Smith's average, you will need a 36 run averaging batsman to make up for him is astonishing. I do not like to compare across sports but I am not aware of anyone else with this level of dominance in any other sport. I could well be wrong but the very fact that even for a comparison, we need to start looking outside the sport of cricket suggests he is indeed the real God of batting.