cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisden Ranks All-Time Best

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar

Wisden Ranks All-Time Best

Here is the list of players Wisden ranked as the all-time best. The rankinds are based on each performance and various different factors.

TEST BATSMEN:
    1.Sir Donald Bradman (Australia)
    2.Sachin Tendulkar (India)
    3.Sir Vivian Richards (West Indies)
    4.Sir Garfield Sobers (West Indies)
    5.Alan Border (Australia)
    6.Jack Hobbs (England)
    7.Ken Barrington (England)
    8.Sunil Gavaskar (India)
    9.Greg Chappell (Australia)
    10.Brian Lara (West Indies)

TEST BOWLERS:
    1.Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka)
    2.Sir Richard Hadlee (New Zealand)
    3.Sydney Barnes (England)
    4.Shane Warne (Australia)
    5.Clarrie Grimmett (Australia)
    6.Glenn McGrath (Australia)
    7.Dennis Lillee (Australia)
    8.Malcolm Marshall (West Indies)
    9.Imran Khan (Pakistan)
    10.Courtney Walsh (West Indies)

ODI BATSMEN:
    1.Sir Vivian Richards (West Indies)
    2.Sachin Tendulkar (India)
    3.Brian Lara (West Indies)
    4.Dean Jones (Australia)
    5.Michael Bevan (Australia)
    6.Sourav Ganguly (India)
    7.Mark Waugh (Australia)
    8.Zaheer Abbas (Pakistan)
    9.Jacques Kallis (South Africa)
    10.Saeed Anwar (Pakistan)

ODI BOWLERS:
    1.Wasim Akram (Pakistan)
    2.Allan Donald (South Africa)
    3.Waqar Younis (Pakistan)
    4.Glenn McGrath (Australia)
    5.Joel Garner (West Indies)
    6.Saqlain Mushtaq (Pakistan)
    7.Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka)
    8.Shaun Pollock (South Africa)
    9.Shane Warne (Australia)
    10.Dennis Lillee (Australia)

I personally don't agree with some of the omissions. For example, where is Ambrose? Worse yet....where is Agarkar???
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Malcolm Marshall?
    life's a gift thats why they call it the present

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Surely you don't have an objection to Malcolm Marshall?! The man was a genious and was...is one of the greatest players ever!

You can't argue with 376 Test wickets at 20.94 apiece! SR of 46.7!!

International Debutant Eyes_Only's Avatar
    I don't have a problem with Marshall being on the list but how is Murli world's best bowler when he is known as a thrower?
    Simon Taufel---ICC Umpire Of The Year 2005/2006/2007

Proud Member of CW Green

Proud member of the Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team

NSW Blues---ING Cup Champions 2005/2006

3rd May 1955-19th January 2004----RIP Hookesy

"Just keep your mouth shut and I'll only have to think you're stupid." The golden rule of umpiring according to the world's best cricket umpire, Australia's Simon Taufel.

So many all timers are still playing !

Saeed Anwar is a refreshing inclusion there, he has been given far less accolade then he actually deserves.

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box

Imran is a bit low ?

OMG !!! Saurav Ganguly ???!!!! that tops it ! how did they ?

State 12th Man
    Actually these are pretty good lists in my opinion, I havent checked the stats but I think Miandad and possibly S Waugh could have made it in ODI batsmen. But the thing is that playing lower than 3 hurts one badly, except for Bevan and Richards most others have batted up the order most of their careers.

Also it would be interesting to see Lillee's ODI record, couldnt have played that many games. And Marshall should be definetely in the top 5 in tests bowling and Walsh should not be there unless there is heavy emphasis on longevity., Ambrose could easily replace him.

I fully agree with Murli at number 1. Thats a lock in, and if ICC allows him to play (which personally I think they are should not) then he should be treated just like any other bowler.

Originally posted by Eyes_Only
    I don't have a problem with Marshall being on the list but how is Murli world's best bowler when he is known as a thrower?
    aww come on now !

Originally posted by royGilchrist
    Actually these are pretty good lists in my opinion, I havent checked the stats but I think Miandad and possibly S Waugh could have made it in ODI batsmen. But the thing is that playing lower than 3 hurts one badly, except for Bevan and Richards most others have batted up the order most of their careers.

Also it would be interesting to see Lillee's ODI record, couldnt have played that many games. And Marshall should be definetely in the top 5 in tests bowling and Walsh should not be there unless there is heavy emphasis on longevity., Ambrose could easily replace him.

I fully agree with Murli at number 1. Thats a lock in, and if ICC allows him to play (which personally I think they are should not) then he should be treated just like any other bowler.
    Alright ur good at these things, how do you account for Ganguly at 6 and Miandad not there ?

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i think bevan should be higher and i also think that Hayden should be oon the test abttong list

and gilly on te ODi list, maybe shewag as well
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

I dont think 'pinch hitters' would find it easy to make it into this list.

Tim
    Despite Hayden being a prolific batsman in the last 2 years, he was a late-starter and hasn't averaged 50 for a long period like Tendulkar or Lara.

I think if Hayden continues like he is doing, then maybe in 3 or 4 years time there will be a place for him on that top 10 list.

State 12th Man
    First of all Gotchya one thing that I have noticed is the difficulty for people to compare players of different era. Some people unconciously give an advantage to older players, and others giving an advantage to younger players. One should analyze them purely on merit irrespective of when they played.

how do you account for Ganguly at 6 and Miandad not there ?
    Yeh tough call, but ganguly has a better average than Miandad and a better strike rate as well, but in terms of intangibles I think Miandad won a lot of matches for Pakistan and was a crucial part of keeping the team competitive. Most of his important innings will not improve his strike rate and average i.e. WC92 final, but without that innings Pakistan would have been embarrased in that match, would have got out for less than 100 probably (just like in WC99). Even the faous Austrailasia cup innings back in the day, is probably the best ODI of all time, atleast among the top 5.

Another thing that I like about this list is the absence of an all rounder list. Its such a grey area and there is always never-ending debates about the definition of an allrounder. No one is really not sure what 'all rounder' means.

Sobers is unbelieveable, fourth on all time batting, and 235 wkts and also more than 100 catches!

And BTW, I was wrong about S Waugh possibly being part of ODI list

Rik
    I don't see the problem with Murali...the guy doesn't mean to do it, it's been cleared by the ICC, yet former umpires decide to slag him off just as he's getting back to fitness, I feel because they are trying mental games with him before he plays. If he's allowed to play then he should be counted, after all he's taken 9 Wickets in an innings 2 times! And but for a dropped catch he could have got the best Test Figures in History! He also has the 2nd best ODI Bowling Figures by the way...

One last comment...if you were in his shoes and you didn't feel you threw...but all these people thought you did...what would you do? Come on guys, it's only a game :rolleyes:
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Yeah. Hayden has made a strong case for himself by this amazing run of form. If he does it consistently over the next few years, he would definitely be up there.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information