• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
pretty average stuff this by denly vs Maharaj. almost exactly the same as the first innings of the last test. would have thought he have come up with a better aproach in the meantime.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Not going to complain too much about 35 & 44 from our openers, considering what we've become used to, but I get the feeling the side that wins this one is the one with someone who kicks on after a start in the first innings. Always the case tbf, but just feels moreso here imo

Also, re:

Phil Tufnell

Ex-England spinner on The Cricket Social

If you bat like this you earn the right for Stokes and Buttler to get on with it later on.
On the occasions we do get a good start, I really don't like it if our middle order takes it as licence to 'have a go' or 'get on with it'. Declarations etc notwithstanding, build and build some more

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If another wicket falls soon (but not too soon) , this could be a chance for the highest team score without a 50. Would be the most England thing ever for the tailenders to all score 30 odd to get there.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Cricket doesn't help itself why not keeping playing for another 30 mins.

Just because they've got 90 overs quicker than usual

91Jmay

International Coach
Good platform, starts not being converted will cost us long term though. Pitch is dreadful, makes for attritional cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Only following through t'tinterweb at work, but a good recovery from Stokes and Pope. When we wobbled from 103/1 to 148/4 one sort of feared the worst. Let's be honest, we've been there before...

Don't wanna jinx the boy, but Pope seems to have something about him, doesn't he?

Bijed

International Regular
Don't wanna jinx the boy, but Pope seems to have something about him, doesn't he?
I hadn't been impressed at all by his international exploits up to the end of the 1st NZ test, but he's seemed much more at home since imo. I know we're talking literally a few innings and it's not like he's made massive scores, but I wonder if his 80 in the 2nd NZ test just gave him the confidence of knowing that he can score runs at test level

Howe_zat

Audio File